ON SET OF COMPLICATIONS

NTEBONG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dear Administrator, I was diagnosed of type 2 diabetes in 2006, since then I have been on metformin 500 mg and Daonil 5mg, recently increase to 1000mg but it seen the 1000mg is no longer effective, can I start taking insulin? Or increase the dosage to 1500mg? Now I am feeding hotness in my legs especially the left leg, muscles pain from foot to ankle and neuropathy pains, what should I do to reverse these complications? I am sacred of leg amputation, what should I do to arrest the complications? Kindly get me posted, thanks

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @NTEBONG & welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately we cannot give medical advice or instructions on dosages etc. we can however share our own experiences and how we personally manage our diabetes

I’m sorry that you are suffering with the pain, have you mentioned this to your doctor? I don’t have experience of this but will tag forum member @KennyA who I know has suffered with neuropathy in the past and may be able to help you

What kind of foods do you eat? Lots of us with T2 here on the forum use a reduced or low carbohydrate diet to help control our diabetes

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear Administrator, I was diagnosed of type 2 diabetes in 2006, since then I have been on metformin 500 mg and Daonil 5mg, recently increase to 1000mg but it seen the 1000mg is no longer effective, can I start taking insulin? Or increase the dosage to 1500mg? Now I am feeding hotness in my legs especially the left leg, muscles pain from foot to ankle and neuropathy pains, what should I do to reverse these complications? I am sacred of leg amputation, what should I do to arrest the complications? Kindly get me posted, thanks
Hi NTEBONG and welcome

I have no experience of diabetic medication, and if you want to change or adjyst the medication you're currently taking I'd advise talking to your doctor.

I did have neuropathy as yuou describe - hotness, burning feet, pains in feetthat sort of thing. I had these for about five or six years. What worked for me was lowering my blood glucose.

Those symptoms had started when my BG was around 44/45 mmol/mol (HbA1c test). Reducing my A1c to 36 made them (mainly) go away, although I still have a slight tingle that's probably permanent damage. I reduced my BG by doing a very low carb diet - around 20g carbs per day. I'm still doing that and I'm in my fifth year now. I've not had a diabetic-level BG reading since January 2020.

I can't say definitely that what worked for me will work for you - but it might be worth giving it a try.

Best of luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just for info., I’m not suggesting you increase your Metformin without discussion with your GP, but the maximum dose is 2000mg/day. Maybe look at your diet to see if there improvements you could make there to lower your blood sugars and reduce your symptoms.

NTEBONG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just for info., I’m not suggesting you increase your Metformin without discussion with your GP, but the maximum dose is 2000mg/day. Maybe look at your diet to see if there improvements you could make there to lower your blood sugars and reduce your symptoms.
Thanks

• Friendly
Reactions: Rachox

SusieWillow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @NTEBONG & welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately we cannot give medical advice or instructions on dosages etc. we can however share our own experiences and how we personally manage our diabetes

I’m sorry that you are suffering with the pain, have you mentioned this to your doctor? I don’t have experience of this but will tag forum member @KennyA who I know has suffered with neuropathy in the past and may be able to help you

What kind of foods do you eat? Lots of us with T2 here on the forum use a reduced or low carbohydrate diet to help control our diabetes

Ask the doctor to check your B12 levels. B12 really cuts out neuropathy for me. I’m more than 17 years diabetic. Good glucose control is vital.

Last edited by a moderator: