One month in ...

suzywakeup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I'm almost 5 weeks diagnosed (well since they told me) and I'm doing well. I've got my bloods down from a whopping 29 to FB of 5.7 this morning and an weekly average of 6.7, so I'm was feeling like I was getting somewhere (we'll forget that I spent most of yesterday crying) at last. Just seen the DN and she said to stop taking the Glicazide as I get low blood sugar mid afternoon and middle of night (around 5) so I'm feeling extra pleased now as that was my main goal, to be able to come off meds. Still on the Metformin for now, and I realise that my blood sugar may increase without the help of the old glicazide, but hey, the sun is shining and I'm feeling a lot more positive about the future. Just thought I'd share my happy story, and glad I deleted my story of gloom yesterday before I posted it

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Well, I'm almost 5 weeks diagnosed (well since they told me) and I'm doing well. I've got my bloods down from a whopping 29 to FB of 5.7 this morning and an weekly average of 6.7, so I'm was feeling like I was getting somewhere (we'll forget that I spent most of yesterday crying) at last. Just seen the DN and she said to stop taking the Glicazide as I get low blood sugar mid afternoon and middle of night (around 5) so I'm feeling extra pleased now as that was my main goal, to be able to come off meds. Still on the Metformin for now, and I realise that my blood sugar may increase without the help of the old glicazide, but hey, the sun is shining and I'm feeling a lot more positive about the future. Just thought I'd share my happy story, and glad I deleted my story of gloom yesterday before I posted it

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and well done. Gliclazide is normally only given if your pancreas is failing to produce enough insulin. Typically, but not always, a T2 will be producing too much but insulin resistance will prevent it being used properly. Stopping it may make sense if you are able to maintain good weight and BS on just Metformina low-carb diet.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

suzywakeup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and well done. Gliclazide is normally only given if your pancreas is failing to produce enough insulin. Typically, but not always, a T2 will be producing too much but insulin resistance will prevent it being used properly. Stopping it may make sense if you are able to maintain good weight and BS on just Metformina low-carb diet.
Hi Daibell
My success hasn't lasted long, My fasting blood was slightly higher today, and after cheese omlette for breakfast and salad (with parmesan) for lunch, my bloods are up in the 9s today. So, does this mean that I'm not producing enough insulin then ? disheartened but still trying to solve this puzzle

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might need to stick to low carb, (low GL? my body didn't get the memo about that being a way to go) and let your body get back to normal - if you've been hammering insulin out of your pancreas with the Gliclazide, it might need time to get itself used to normality - for your insulin resistance to resolve - if you have that.
I did a few months on low carb and then saw my levels doing a sort of vertical ping pong until they then settled down into the lower numbers.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I've got my bloods down from a whopping 29 to FB of 5.7 this morning and an weekly average of 6.7

Excellent!

Low glycemic load does seem to be the way to go, whatever some GPs might say. My brother was encouraged to lower the glycemic index of what he was eating. As you'd expect, not the same as lowering the glycemic load.