OneTouch Comfort

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
This is a new lancing device that I saw advertised in Balance Magazine from Diabetes UK.

I liked the way it was described and even though I did not qualify for a free trial of the device, I sent an e-mail asking if they would consider sending me one as my present lancer was old and used much thicker lancets.

It arrived this morning and I used it straight away for a BG test and I can honestly say this almost a totally painless way to extract enough blood for my test strip.

I have no idea if it is available to buy in a chemists yet, but if you are looking to replace your existing lancer or are just about to start with finger pricking, I can recommend the new OneTouch Comfort and the ultra thin 0.2mm/33G lancets it uses [PIP Code 344-8909].

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Tried this recently and while it didnt hurt "much" I still found it did sting a tad even on the lowest settings. Its also a pain having to do 1 lancet at a time and have a sharps bin and to be honest it just felt very cheap almost hollow. More devices need to be made that can compete with the multiclix as personally to me its still the best.

I have also tried one from bayer the microlet 2 and one from GlucoJect Dual finger pricker both also practically painless. The microlet was easy to use one handed but again sufferd with feeling cheap and also single sharps hard to insert and dispose of. Same applied to the Glucojet allthough the design was better and the build felt solid same issue with both left over sharps to dispose of and inserting each time.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I too have used all sorts of these devices over the years, the Accu-Chek MultiClix has to be the best and the most painless. I have an Lifestyle UltraSmart meter and threw away the 'pricker' supplied which was good, however I carried on with the MultiClix.....much better. Fits in the US pouch too.

Mind you I have never understood how a 'finger prick' is painful.....? :? it is a TINY prick in the side of the finger, not painful in the REAL pain sense. Maybe it's just me, injecting on a daily basis tends to make you immune to tiny 'finger pricks' which are just insignificant. Over the years having bloods taken regularly, tests, injections etc, they don't seem to matter. Nothing to even think about really.

if it hurts you probably haven't got it set properly or you are doing it wrong.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
cugila said:
I too have used all sorts of these devices over the years, the Accu-Chek MultiClix has to be the best and the most painless. I have an Lifestyle UltraSmart meter and threw away the 'pricker' supplied which was good, however I carried on with the MultiClix.....much better. Fits in the US pouch too.

Mind you I have never understood how a 'finger prick' is painful.....? :? it is a TINY prick in the side of the finger, not painful in the REAL pain sense. Maybe it's just me, injecting on a daily basis tends to make you immune to tiny 'finger pricks' which are just insignificant. Over the years having bloods taken regularly, tests, injections etc, they don't seem to matter. Nothing to even think about really.

Nothing to think about...No pain?!! Tell that to a little child who shudders every time the lancing device comes into view
Nothing to think about...No pain?!! Now there is a statement from someone who obviously does not suffer the trauma of neuropathy and/or long standing peripheral neuropathy! With some neuropathy sufferers, even using a nail brush can cause severe discomfort. Also it must be remembered that no two people feel pain in the same way.

I dumped the Roché AccuChek Multiclix for the Comfort because the lancets are even thinner than those of the MultiClix ...only 0.2mm where the Multiclix are 0.3mm

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hobs.

Oh dear ! I was answering an Adult. That does make a difference !
There was also no mention of any complications, just a straight forward finger prick.

There will always be other cases such as you mention, my reply to those would obviously be different.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I know cugila doesn't think it's accurate, but I gave up stabbing fingers a long time ago. I use alterative site testing. Most meters allow this nowadays and unless you are tracking rapid changes as in hypo, it's perfectly adequate.
there must be loads of people like me who are not using hypo inducing medication and only test once, or at most twice daily to track general control levels, who could use this tactic.
I just use the stabber that came with my Freestyle Lite. I change lancets "occasionally" and have the device set to 2( of 4) The Lite needs such a small blood drop that it's absolutely fine. The drop is only the size of a normal pinhead.
I suspect that even some children could use this method to save their delicate skin a bit. It would have to be discussed with a knowledgeable paediatric HCP.

Matt1212

everyone is different , our 5 year has no probs with multiple fingers pricks and even the injections are OK 95% of the time. However being asked to wash hands before the test results in extreme annoyance (mud,grass,oil,bubble mix surely you can clean it on your trousers Dad....)
- we were told not to use baby wipes as these affect the BG test any one found this to be true ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hana.

Can we just clear this up about AST. It is not MY view although I agree with it. It is the majority Medical opinion, that says AST is not accurate, therefore should be discussed with your HCP if you wish to use it.

This Forum, on this subject, sticks with the Medical opinion, that is what I post. Nothing more. What you do personally is entirely your choice.

jopar

One thing that I have found over the years is that if some-one else does the finger pricking for you it hurts!!!

I sussed it out, when my husband had to do some of my finger pricks when I broke my finger last November... When some-one else does it, they tend to push the pricker into the finger exerting more presure on it, that you do yourself.. Then they tend to squeeze and twist the finger when the loading the blood onto the strip!!!

It's no wonder that children have more problems with finger prickers, after all in a lot of cases some-one else is pricking there finger and not them..

I've never had any problems with which ever make I've used, yes some feel cheap and tack compared to others on the market.. But the finger pricker I used to dread the most, was the oridganal one, which was just a flat piece of stainless still that you stab your finger with, and believe me they would slice your fingers to shreads, and hit the finger right, and you would see a stream of blood spurt across the room!!

At the moment I use the multi-clix as it came with my meter, I changed meters because the Ultrasmart2 (which is alsome, and surely missed by me) wasn't compatiable with my Rouche insulin pump and software.. But I do find the multi-clix usefull, as hubby is also T1 and if he forgets his meter, then he can use mine, and it's a case of just turning a dial for a fresh needle for each of us..