Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Only this weds evening a lady was talking about her old very first meter.
It was like a housebrick in size - we are 'lucky' nowadays eh ,:joyful:

I had that meter...lol

Took 2 minutes to read, at first you applied blood to the test strip and waited 60 seconds, the meter would bleep and to tell you to wipe the blood off with some cotton wool then you inserted the strip into the meter and waited a further minute for the meter to take the reading, all sounds very primitive now but it was far better than testing the urine for glucose.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Bit like the old brick mobile phones look at the modern ones. Bet they will soon bring out a gloucometer in a phone so many dioabetics are now about, just think how we could integrate into the apps then :joyful:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Bit like the old brick mobile phones look at the modern ones. Bet they will soon bring out a gloucometer in a phone so many dioabetics are now about, just think how we could integrate into the apps then :joyful:

It's so funny when you see the old mobiles on tv from the late 80's and early 90's, you needed a suitcase to just to carry them around:D

Reactions: 2 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Written blood glucose log (my dn likes to see it on each visit). Food logged into My Fitness Pal. Weight and measurements written down into a little note book, along with exercise notes. I wear a fitbit wrist band to log my sleep, and general steps for the day... that gets synced up the the fitbit app. I also have an app to track more womanly things, which I also enter my weight into.

I can't live without apps and tracking. It's sad but true.

Reactions: 4 people

Jumapi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad language; Bad manners; crumbs in the butter! Walking in the rain or high winds.
Both Gps I've seen plus the diabetes nurse have all told me, "No blood glucose testing! Not necessary, not helpful!" I am told the only accurate testing I need is HbA1c three monthly. This advice conflicts with all I read on this web site. No wonder I'm confused!
Jumapi

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I have upped my stakes Now have a diary for hb1Ac % & other / total carbs trigs ldl hdl total hdl / diastol systol

And today connected my meter as the cable has arrived. I have used 2 pots of strips but for some reason it thinks only 57 used l can live with that as have them all recorded but it says my average for all my bloods is 5.8 so l am pretty happy with that (l think l am ok being happy with that?)...on the lost ones they are pretty much the same so my average would still be on that l recon.

Blimey the meter software can do loads, l will not use a lot (famous last words) but it will take time to learn my way round all it can do.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Written blood glucose log (my dn likes to see it on each visit). Food logged into My Fitness Pal. Weight and measurements written down into a little note book, along with exercise notes. I wear a fitbit wrist band to log my sleep, and general steps for the day... that gets synced up the the fitbit app. I also have an app to track more womanly things, which I also enter my weight into.

I can't live without apps and tracking. It's sad but true.
Bit OCD lol ! I tend to track everything but don't really know why ! Inever look back ! Just can't help it :)