1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Overreacting? Need Some Feedback!

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by maitai, Sep 6, 2018.

1. maitai

maitai Type 2 · Member

So i've been pretty bang on with my diet and i've finally achieved a FBG range from 4.5-5.3, since being diagnosed late july of this year. I've gone from a ~7 average to an overall average of 5.3! Never thought i'd see the day (as expressed in my previous posts)!

But today, I let myself go. I had a before meal blood glucose of about 5. Then I ate like 2 pieces of fried chicken (*gasps*) and a salad and two and a half hours later my BG is 6.7. Which sent me in a full on panic, certainly not the highest number i've seen on my BG monitor but first "high" one i've seen in awhile.

I don't know, is that a crazy high number after eating or am I just overreacting...

(i'm currently on a pretty strict low carb diet and take 1000mg of metformin a day)

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

It's a perfectly normal number. Maybe taking a bit longer than usual to return to your base level, but not really awful. It would have been a better option to measure what your level was at 1 and 2 hours. Unless the chicken was heavily floured/coated, it's unlikely to have caused your level to rise too much.

Well done on your progress so far.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hug Hug x 1
  3. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Relax. It was a one-off, and not exactly an extreme one. You're okay.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

As @Indy51 says was the chicken coated in something carby, because chicken and salad wouldn’t cause a rise, in my experience? Other things to consider, did you wash your hands before the test? Did you retest straight away, it may have been a dodgy strip? What did you do between eating and the post meal test, we’re you stressed? Did you exercise? It’s not just food that can raise readings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

What they ^^^ said.

Our bodies are not machines and do not always comply with our wishes, sometimes there's just no rhyme or reason. Keep an eye out just in case you're brewing an infection otherwise just put it down to 'one of those things'. Smashing improvement on your numbers btw, keep up the great work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

6.7 is an excellent hiccup.
    Wish mine hiccuped in such a way. :)

Well done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That’s a perfectly normal level, it’s probably the protein in the chicken that caused the rise as you’re very low carb.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook