Overreacting? Need Some Feedback!

maitai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So i've been pretty bang on with my diet and i've finally achieved a FBG range from 4.5-5.3, since being diagnosed late july of this year. I've gone from a ~7 average to an overall average of 5.3! Never thought i'd see the day (as expressed in my previous posts)!

But today, I let myself go. I had a before meal blood glucose of about 5. Then I ate like 2 pieces of fried chicken (*gasps*) and a salad and two and a half hours later my BG is 6.7. Which sent me in a full on panic, certainly not the highest number i've seen on my BG monitor but first "high" one i've seen in awhile.

I don't know, is that a crazy high number after eating or am I just overreacting...

(i'm currently on a pretty strict low carb diet and take 1000mg of metformin a day)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a perfectly normal number. Maybe taking a bit longer than usual to return to your base level, but not really awful. It would have been a better option to measure what your level was at 1 and 2 hours. Unless the chicken was heavily floured/coated, it's unlikely to have caused your level to rise too much.

Well done on your progress so far.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So i've been pretty bang on with my diet and i've finally achieved a FBG range from 4.5-5.3, since being diagnosed late july of this year. I've gone from a ~7 average to an overall average of 5.3! Never thought i'd see the day (as expressed in my previous posts)!

But today, I let myself go. I had a before meal blood glucose of about 5. Then I ate like 2 pieces of fried chicken (*gasps*) and a salad and two and a half hours later my BG is 6.7. Which sent me in a full on panic, certainly not the highest number i've seen on my BG monitor but first "high" one i've seen in awhile.

I don't know, is that a crazy high number after eating or am I just overreacting...

(i'm currently on a pretty strict low carb diet and take 1000mg of metformin a day)
Relax. It was a one-off, and not exactly an extreme one. You're okay.

Reactions: maitai

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As @Indy51 says was the chicken coated in something carby, because chicken and salad wouldn’t cause a rise, in my experience? Other things to consider, did you wash your hands before the test? Did you retest straight away, it may have been a dodgy strip? What did you do between eating and the post meal test, we’re you stressed? Did you exercise? It’s not just food that can raise readings.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What they ^^^ said.

Our bodies are not machines and do not always comply with our wishes, sometimes there's just no rhyme or reason. Keep an eye out just in case you're brewing an infection otherwise just put it down to 'one of those things'. Smashing improvement on your numbers btw, keep up the great work.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
6.7 is an excellent hiccup.
Wish mine hiccuped in such a way. :)

Well done.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That’s a perfectly normal level, it’s probably the protein in the chicken that caused the rise as you’re very low carb.