Type 2 Painful tongue and yellow fur on it

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks
I have recently lost two stones and improved my HBCA1 to 43 but I now have a yellow furry dry mouth a tongue that feels stuck to the roof of my mouth. My neuropathy in my feet is worse and I am scared that I have done more harm than good.
I thought improving blood sugars helped your diabetes. I have asked help from my doctor who said they have no idea what is cause the numbness and pain in my left tongue and left scalp.
I brush my teeth and have good oral hygiene. Any ideas why this happening and what I can do to improve it please?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks
I have recently lost two stones and improved my HBCA1 to 43 but I now have a yellow furry dry mouth a tongue that feels stuck to the roof of my mouth. My neuropathy in my feet is worse and I am scared that I have done more harm than good.
I thought improving blood sugars helped your diabetes. I have asked help from my doctor who said they have no idea what is cause the numbness and pain in my left tongue and left scalp.
I brush my teeth and have good oral hygiene. Any ideas why this happening and what I can do to improve it please?
Yellow furry mouth? Sounds like oral thrush. (Google it and check the pictures. Is it something like that? Your GP should have medication for that! I know mine'd get all raw and painful.). You're down with your blood sugars, not not quite in the non diabetic range, so that might have something to do with it.

And neuropathy may get worse before it gets better, as nerves start healing and you start feeling pain again. (Amytriptiline might help with that, as well as vitamin b. And possibly CBD oil).

Flutterbyent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you
Doctor told go get oral thrush medication from pharmacy.....helpful. They never prescribe much I think cost for them is an issue.

Reactions: Blackers183

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you
Doctor told go get oral thrush medication from pharmacy.....helpful. They never prescribe much I think cost for them is an issue.
to be honest, it's probably cheaper to buy than a prescription charge

Reactions: Robbity

AliB73

Type of diabetes
HCP
Hi folks
Hi, I'd also suggest your Vitamin B12 is checked if not already done, both the yellow painful tongue, and pins and needles (which can be taken to be the existing neuropathy) are symptoms of B12 deficiency. It would require B12 injections to correct. On an ongoing basis bot h metformin and vegan diets can contribute to low B12 levels so supplementation may be needed (definitely needed with vegan diet) with monitoring of B12 levels if symptoms suggest deficiency.

Last edited:

AliB73

Type of diabetes
HCP
Why are you paying prescription charges if you have diabetes?
Prescription exemption (in England) only applies once glucose-lowering medication for diabetes is prescribed i.e. T2DM managed by diet alone is not one of the exemptions

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hi folks
What about a mouthwash ? Try a little hydrogen peroxide, brush the tongue if it's not painful, other comments here are good. vitamins etc

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks
My mum used to get this (Oral Thrush) and was prescribed 'Nystan'. It's drops that you put on your tongue and it proved to be effective. Hope you get it sorted

kathblain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi folks

I am answering this as I'm a dental consultant. Thrush caused by candida is almost always white. Doctors know little about oral infections and can sometimes diagnose them and treat them completely wrongly for too long. If you have tried antifungals from the doctor or chemist for more than 2 weeks and there is no resolution then please make an urgent appointment with your dentist to have your mouth checked.

Reactions: LindiePops