Partner has type 1, advice please

Stephchris

Hi, my partner has type 1 diabetes, really sensitive to insulin and has currently been in hospital for 3 weeks due to collapsing at home. It has been a horrible time and as they have tried to change his insulin have unfortunately managed to overdose him. He has been on a glucose drip for 5 days and does not seem to be getting above bg of 6, they want him about 12 to even restart insulin... has anyone got any info on why this is happening as the doctors can’t seem to work this out! He is on a renal ward as the current diabetic ward is being used for covid only diabetics which I fully understand but I’m concerned that different options going forward are being given by each person he see’s! Thanks for you help xx

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long ago was he diagnosed T1, and was it as an adult? Sounds like endogenous insulin production has increased, which is not unusual soon after the start of insulin treatment. It also happens to T1s diagnosed as adults. If his blood glucose won't go over 6 while on a glucose drip and no injected insulin, he must be making his own insulin.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How long ago was he diagnosed T1, and was it as an adult? Sounds like endogenous insulin production has increased, which is not unusual soon after the start of insulin treatment. It also happens to T1s diagnosed as adults. If his blood glucose won't go over 6 while on a glucose drip and no injected insulin, he must be making his own insulin.

I completely agree. presumably if he's not on injected insulin and is on a glucose drip, they can do a c-peptide test to see how much insulin he is producing….

If it's a relatively recent diagnosis then the honeymoon effect could be at fault, but if it's not recent then I have to wonder how accurate the initial diagnosis was.... It sounds to me that he needs access to advice from an endocrinologist.

Good luck

Reactions: MarkMunday

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like what we call a honeymoon period. You still make insulin until you don't. This can happen for years and can make controlling blood sugars a very erratic thing. This is especially the case when you are diagnosed as an adult.

As said, if he is on a glucose drip and his sugars aren't going up, he is making enough insulin to deal with those blood sugars. Tomorrow could be a different story or he could make enough for weeks.

I agree, see if you can talk to a diabetic team or an endocrinologist. They would know what is going on.

Reactions: MarkMunday

Stephchris

Hi thanks for all the replies. He was diagnosed around 4 years ago. I’ve spoken to the hospital this morning and overnight he was taken off the drip and seems to be maintaining around 9’s! The doctors believe all the insulin is now out of his system so seems like we are finally getting somewhere!

Reactions: EllieM