1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pasta and rice

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Kevdee, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Kevdee

Kevdee Type 2 · Newbie

Hi guys newly diagnosed type 2 I’ve looked at different foods and, there has been mixed results regarding eating pasta and white rice . Can I still eat these items thanks

2. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You can if you want to, no-one here'll slap your fork from your fingers with a ruler. But they will spike your blood sugars, more likely than not. (And that's white, brown, wholewheat etc too) https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might clear things up a little.

Anyway, welcome to our little nook on the web. Hopefully you'll feel better after reading around a little here. And hey, if at any point contradicting advice gets a bit much: A meter'll never try to sell you on anything, it'll just tell you how you respond to the food you're eating. It'll help you sort out the good advice from the bad. Impartiality is nice. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Depends what you want to achieve.

Personally I don't even consider those things as "food" any longer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. OB87

OB87 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's best to test your blood sugars and see how you response. I've never had an issue with pasta ( a much smaller portion than I would have had before I was diagnosed though). I've tested at various times to see it's effect. I don't eat rice as I usually just have it with a curry and I find cauliflower rice to be a good alternative.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've just had a lovely home made chicken curry for tea. No rice at all, just mopped up all the sauce with a spoon. :hungry:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rach612

Rach612 Other · Well-Known Member

I used to love rice and bread. Now that I know how they make foie gras, wouldn’t eat either. Cauliflower rice is good though.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    As has been mentioned you can eat what you like and it is recommended to test your blood glucose before and after eating to understand how your body responds to the food you eat.
    For me pasta and white rice are no longer an option along with other carbohydrate rich foods.
    Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. hankjam

I'm quite okay with foie gras as I am with chicken and pork products. I don't think we treat the latter two animals any differently, free range or not.

10. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I pre cook pasta and reheat it the next day, this is supposed to cut the carbs downs by converting something or other (for lack of a technical term this time of day). I have worked out the portion size so it does not blow my bgl to high.

It does not work on rice for me though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Rach612

Rach612 Other · Well-Known Member

I just meant I don’t want to add anymore fat to my poor liver.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. hankjam

I understand and if that is the case, okay.
    There will come a time, hopefully when a bit of fat is a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook