1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

peanut butter

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by libbyM, Jul 6, 2016.

1. libbyM

libbyM · Active Member

I just fancied some peanut butter and bought a jar from the supermarket but when I scrutinised the contents I see it contains more sugar than I feel is acceptable as a type 1. I know it has ahigh calorific values but wondered if I blended raw ones converting to paste whether it wouldn't hurt now and again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What peanut butter did you buy? Usually its not high in sugar. I have three differnet jars in my cupboard and they are around 10g per 100g

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

Sunpat do a sugar free one as do meridian their's is just peanuts, sunpat add salt

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. 13lizanne

13lizanne Type 2 · Expert

You can make your own by crushing peanuts with sea salt in a mortar and pestle. The oil comes out from the nuts which you can just stir through the paste until you get the texture that you want.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I like the Whole Earth peanut butter. It has no added sugar, and has 7.4g of carbohydrate per 100g. It does have salt added though if that's a problem for you, 1.1g of sea salt per 100g. The only other ingredient apart from roasted peanuts and salt is sustainable palm oil, which some people have an ethical objection to.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Just eat less of it until you find a no sugar added. Peanuts alone are fairly high in carbs and spike some of us

• Like Like x 2
  7. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In the US, it's possible to buy creamy or crunchy peanut butter with only salt added that you stir - (to recombine the peanuts and it's oil) - then refrigerate. Peanuts are a legume, not a nut, so they can create unwanted spikes in blood glucose. Two tablespoons contains 6 g carbohydrate and 1 g sugar (which is from the peanuts, not added).

Here's the peanut butter I use - (top left)... http://www.adamspeanutbutter.com/product They even sell a "Natural Peanut Butter Mixer" for it... https://onlinestore.smucker.com/display_product.cfm?prod_id=385&cat_id=40&aid=WLSW07020 :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. hornplayer

hornplayer · Well-Known Member

..... Almond butter is nice.....

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

• Like Like x 2
  9. DeejayR

DeejayR Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Keesha

Keesha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I love peanut butter and in Canada we have a brand of President Choice peanut butter that has no sugar, salt or preservative.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MikePea

MikePea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I like peanut butter, but not with jello.
    The blue **** that infest my garden seem to dispose of a jar every week so they are quite happy. (Well not the jar, just the
    contents.)
    What do you apply the peanut butter to could be relevent. Or do you eat it by the spoonful ?o_O

• Like Like x 2
  12. Keesha

I put one tablespoon on a slice of whole grain toast and sprinkle with sunflower seeds, no jelly.

13. PosyPip

PosyPip Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I did some research in Waitrose recently- the lowest carb one was Duchy Originals peanut butter - unfortunately not the cheapest, but only 5.8g carb per 100g. They vary vastly!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Keesha

Peanuts are low in glycemic index, therefore assume it will not spike too much.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well, against my better judgment, I bought a jar of peanut butter today, the kind made with peanuts and salt that you stir and refrigerate.

Any grains or legumes spike my blood glucose levels, so for me a tablespoon of peanut butter is a nice treat.

But not tonight, I had a large portion of green beans topped with butter along with my grass fed beef, onion, and peppers, which will spike my blood glucose level. Perhaps I'll have some peanut butter tomorrow with a lower carb meal. I can wait. :)

• Like Like x 4
  16. Serena51

Serena51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I will give the Duchy one a try when I see it. Up to now the only sugar free one I've found is the Whole Earth which I've been using for years now.

Back in the fifties we used to get peanut butter (KP I think) and that had to have a teaspoon of salt added and then really good stir to mix it up before using. Funny that we could have that then but now it's all got additives. The march of Sugar ...

• Like Like x 2
  17. mfactor

mfactor Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yep whole earth is pretty good but I bought this last time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011BUIP6I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 nothing added, a bit higher in carbs than some but I tend to just have a small amount in a smoothie ...

But often just go to the local independent health food shop where they do a similar thing (organic nothing added)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Keesha

Organic is the way to go if you can find it in the health food section. Beware of those with hydrogenated oil added. When you are too busy to prepare breakfast and in a hurry, peanut butter on toast in the best way to go.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Or a handful of nuts and skip the toast

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sunstreaker

Sunstreaker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Why does the carb content of a pack of peanuts vary so dramatically?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook