People wont listen - rant

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@joanne75 you can get the download recipe books from the main website as well.

JuliaAR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have been pointing people to this site, and the forum. I have been telling them about my results and how I achieved them. I have been explaining about sugars and carbs, and that low fat is not a good idea. I have used graphs, links to thread, links to videos, links to websites.

And will they listen???

Nope. Not on your Nellie. Nada. Nope.

And even worse, they think I am doing something dangerous and i need saving from myself.

I feel like giving up trying to help as it seems to be alienating others. I am only trying to help as part of conversations about media articles, or their meds, or worsening symptoms. But they dont have the courtesy to even give my info and ideas a go. Not just family, but friends, people I talk to online about other stuff. Its like I am not given a fair hearing and they arent going to listen no matter what.

Fed up : ((((((
Hi,
I sympathize with everything that you are saying. It is so annoying when people won't listen to good advice. :banghead:
However, we have to face the fact that most people are very stuck in their ways and don't do much to help themselves even when faced with ill health. Most people seem to prefer to "take a pill to fix things" and carry on the same old way rather than make a few changes in their lifestyle which would benefit them far more in the long run. It's called taking the easy route rather than taking responsibility for yourself.
You have tried to tell them so now it is up to them whether they do something or not. In your situation I would simply sit back and relax, knowing that you have done your best to inform them. If they don't want to listen you can't make them and you will end up seeming like a nag or a zealot if you persist.
Look after yourself as you have been doing and don't let the attitude of others stress you out. Stress is a big contributing factor in raising blood sugar. Their health is not your responsibility, it's theirs. Above all don't let worrying about their health affect yours. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

mackeown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I sympathize with everything that you are saying. It is so annoying when people won't listen to good advice. :banghead:
However, we have to face the fact that most people are very stuck in their ways and don't do much to help themselves even when faced with ill health. Most people seem to prefer to "take a pill to fix things" and carry on the same old way rather than make a few changes in their lifestyle which would benefit them far more in the long run. It's called taking the easy route rather than taking responsibility for yourself.
In your situation I would simply sit back and relax and let it all happen around you. If they don't want to listen you can't make them and you will end up seeming like a nag or a zealot if you persist.
Look after yourself as you have been doing and don't let the attitude of others stress you out. Stress is a big contributing factor in raising blood sugar. You have tried to tell them so now it is up to them whether they do something or not. Their health is not your responsibility, it's theirs. Above all don't let worrying about their health affect yours. :)

WBC8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been pointing people to this site, and the forum. I have been telling them about my results and how I achieved them. I have been explaining about sugars and carbs, and that low fat is not a good idea. I have used graphs, links to thread, links to videos, links to websites.

And will they listen???

Nope. Not on your Nellie. Nada. Nope.

And even worse, they think I am doing something dangerous and i need saving from myself.

I feel like giving up trying to help as it seems to be alienating others. I am only trying to help as part of conversations about media articles, or their meds, or worsening symptoms. But they dont have the courtesy to even give my info and ideas a go. Not just family, but friends, people I talk to online about other stuff. Its like I am not given a fair hearing and they arent going to listen no matter what.

Fed up : ((((((
Oh dear. Haven't actually read your posts as I've just joined recently. Concensus seems to be low carbon especially for those on insulin and is beneficial in controlling BS. I'm on metformin. Tried porridge (oats) as it is deemed healthy choice and my BS spiked so what suits some does not suit others.

Reactions: zand and Prem51

WBC8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh dear. Haven't actually read your posts as I've just joined recently. Concensus seems to be low carbon especially for those on insulin and is beneficial in controlling BS. I'm on metformin. Tried porridge (oats) as it is deemed healthy choice and my BS spiked so what suits some does not suit others.
Sorry carb predictive text!!!

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes. I saw a dietitian who told me to eat porridge, wholemeal bread with either eggs, cheese, beans or butter... she said I could change potato for sweet potato... turned out badly... very very badly, it was so depressing to watch your Bgl rise (to dangerous levels) while still being starving hungry! Being told to cut portion size and that made me cry... well if the size I am eating isn't filling me how is cutting the amount going to help! They just kept upping my insulin (which I was on for that duration) which made me hypo between meals! It is for this that I was more open to the logic if lchf as I saw it work immediately. Why eat a food that raises your Bgl over a period rather than spike? Why not avoid those foods altogether and fill the place with food that doesn't raise bgl. If I ever am before that midwife or consultant... I will make sure to put them right.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Spread sheet is the key along with testing!
Everyone is so unique which then goes back to op's original post... the diet being pushed by government as being "the only healthy option/diet for everyone" from an extremely early age causes this! Everyone is so unique and so the diet they follow is as unique... the people who love us think we have a mental illness/breakdown and are "killing ourselves".... this always happens when you go against the grain and become "abnormal", I love this site, because it gives you a choice! It helps you find a path to follow as well as amazing people who back you up... it is so lonely to face the world "alone" so coming here reminds me that I am not alone, I am not sick (mentally (I hope)) I am not killing myself, I am just doing what is individually right for me.... and we are all doing that together because we are all in the same boat.
I have learnt so much and it encourages me to keep going. I found a strength in the info provided by people on here who are in my opinion sincere.

Thank you to all of you xxx
I have just finished say something along the same lines to my husband who is type2 recently diagnosed and thinks I become all consuming about this forum.But a round a week ago with his high off the scale blood pressure problem he finally started to listen sometimes you feel with people not all but it's like banging your head against a brick wall.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just finished say something along the same lines to my husband who is type2 recently diagnosed and thinks I become all consuming about this forum.But a round a week ago with his high off the scale blood pressure problem he finally started to listen sometimes you feel with people not all but it's like banging your head against a brick wall.
I don't agree with cutting people off though... if I did that I would be living by myself on a deserted island somewhere. Which would probably be better for me! But all I can do is persevere and hope. Our opinions are based on our experiences... we are all unique because of this... we must respect this as we wish them to respect us... no one can look through the screen and see what we have been through or are going through so patience in the face of difficulty (and stubborn people) is desperately needed.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lady in the cafe yesterday seemed proud to tell anybody around her she was a diabetic whilst tucking into a plate of chips. And when her friend went off to pay, she tucked into her plate of chips too. What can I say. X

I was attending a neuropathy meeting last week this lady was eating a hug cinnamon bun,she excused herself
"When I took the wrapping of most of the sugar stuck on it. And besides the Government is paying for my medication."

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I don't agree with cutting people off though... if I did that I would be living by myself on a deserted island somewhere. Which would probably be better for me! But all I can do is persevere and hope. Our opinions are based on our experiences... we are all unique because of this... we must respect this as we wish them to respect us... no one can look through the screen and see what we have been through or are going through so patience in the face of difficulty (and stubborn people) is desperately needed.

Would you agree that patience should have a limit? At what point should there be personal responsibility? Just curious to hear your thoughts, thanks.

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I agree to a point you can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink comes to mind,there is a point you reach when stubbornness goes beyond patience and after after a while you realise it is still down to the individual you can explain till you are blue in the face which is where I've been with my hubby but it takes something like having his licence at work taken off him before he would listen and try doing it with me.This is about me and mine no- one else I cannot comment on others but you can only go so far with people then it's entirely upto them

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think it only natural to want to help others out, especially close friends and family although I would concede that the few people who know about my eating habits think it's a fad and that I'm a nutter. Fine by me! Also a couple of pals who have said that they won't meet up because they won't want to drink if I'm not drinking, even though I don't care about it.
I attended a DESMOND course in December and was astounded that most recently diagnosed diabetics there were mostly interested in what they could get away with eating rather than concede that certain foods should be left off their plates!

Reactions: Prem51 and kokhongw

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree to a point you can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink comes to mind,there is a point you reach when stubbornness goes beyond patience and after after a while you realise it is still down to the individual you can explain till you are blue in the face which is where I've been with my hubby but it takes something like having his licence at work taken off him before he would listen and try doing it with me.This is about me and mine no- one else I cannot comment on others but you can only go so far with people then it's entirely upto them
What you do is support them from behind (as wives usually have to do) sometimes nagging is the only way to get things done though :-D

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it only natural to want to help others out, especially close friends and family although I would concede that the few people who know about my eating habits think it's a fad and that I'm a nutter. Fine by me! Also a couple of pals who have said that they won't meet up because they won't want to drink if I'm not drinking, even though I don't care about it.
I attended a DESMOND course in December and was astounded that most recently diagnosed diabetics there were mostly interested in what they could get away with eating rather than concede that certain foods should be left off their plates!

I know the "What can I get away with?" attitude is one I really had to battle with before conceding that I really wasn't "getting away with" anything. I still occasionally succumb to it, but far less than I used to.

And, that's not just with food. I'm well aware my academic results over many years could have been so much better if I'd not done just enough work to get through exams/assignments/qualifications. Makes me good at my current job though as students are regularly astounded at how well I read their motivation to do as little as possible when I know they could do and be better! But I can't make them until they're ready to change their attitude...

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know the "What can I get away with?" attitude is one I really had to battle with before conceding that I really wasn't "getting away with" anything. I still occasionally succumb to it, but far less than I used to.

And, that's not just with food. I'm well aware my academic results over many years could have been so much better if I'd not done just enough work to get through exams/assignments/qualifications. Makes me good at my current job though as students are regularly astounded at how well I read their motivation to do as little as possible when I know they could do and be better! But I can't make them until they're ready to change their attitude...

We all live and learn some people just take longer!none of us are perfect

mackeown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
You have tried to tell them so now it is up to them whether they do something or not. In your situation I would simply sit back and relax, knowing that you have done your best to inform them. If they don't want to listen you can't make them and you will end up seeming like a nag or a zealot if you persist.
Look after yourself as you have been doing and don't let the attitude of others stress you out. Stress is a big contributing factor in raising blood sugar. Their health is not your responsibility, it's theirs. Above all don't let worrying about their health affect yours. :)

As a type 2 sufferer, I consider my condition to be self inflicted - I ate too much, drank too much and took little o no exercise.
So with some changes to the way I choose to live, I have lost weight, walk about five miles/day and drink far less.
Experts say that T2 is not reversible. experts also said that the stars orbited the earth. History is littered with experts who got it wrong and radicals who have been prove correct - Galileo, Newton, Faraday, Edison, Fleming.....
Who would have thought that injecting serum from a cow could possibly help with a small pox endemic? Yet this is what happened. indeed the word Vaccination comes from the old Italian "Vacca", meaning cow.

So whilst expert advice should be considered, it should, once in a while,be taken with a little salt!

If you haven't already, read Dr Michael Mosley's book "The Eight Week Blood Sugar Diet"
See for yourself!

All the best