People wont listen - rant

S

serenity648

I have been pointing people to this site, and the forum. I have been telling them about my results and how I achieved them. I have been explaining about sugars and carbs, and that low fat is not a good idea. I have used graphs, links to thread, links to videos, links to websites.

And will they listen???

Nope. Not on your Nellie. Nada. Nope.

And even worse, they think I am doing something dangerous and i need saving from myself.

I feel like giving up trying to help as it seems to be alienating others. I am only trying to help as part of conversations about media articles, or their meds, or worsening symptoms. But they dont have the courtesy to even give my info and ideas a go. Not just family, but friends, people I talk to online about other stuff. Its like I am not given a fair hearing and they arent going to listen no matter what.

Fed up : ((((((

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi S648 - dont let 'em grind you down!

Have you seen this week's "New Scientist"? Big article on how LCHF is shaping up to be the new Holy Grail - so the message is percolating through into the mainsteam. Just keep on doing what you are doing - as Tipetoo says, if they don't want to listen, it isn't going to be you who comes off worst!

Keep the faith!

PS T2 - it's "horses" in good old Pommyland - but same sentiment applies (Cobber? ).

All the best

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I think you have to put yourself in the other person's shoes on this one.
We are talking about
  • Reversing diabetes
  • Losing weight without hunger
  • Most of the medical profession being wrong
  • The government being wrong
  • A bunch of people acting like a cult
No wonder a lot of people get a bit worried!

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
I have been pointing people to this site, and the forum. I have been telling them about my results and how I achieved them. I have been explaining about sugars and carbs, and that low fat is not a good idea. I have used graphs, links to thread, links to videos, links to websites.

And will they listen???

And even worse, they think I am doing something dangerous and i need saving from myself.

I feel like giving up trying to help as it seems to be alienating others. I am only trying to help as part of conversations about media articles, or their meds, or worsening symptoms. But they dont have the courtesy to even give my info and ideas a go. Not just family, but friends, people I talk to online about other stuff. Its like I am not given a fair hearing and they arent going to listen no matter what.

Fed up : ((((((
I know the feeling serenity, even family members who have been brainwashed with the low cal / low fat mantra, "don't eat the chicken skin, or the pork crackling, it will make you fat!" It only get's worse when dealing with health 'professionals' who is giving wrong advice and pushing medication down your throat (figuratively speaking). I have drastically reduced my meds to control my T2D through intermittent fasting and LCHF and often people have said:"Isn't what your doing DANGEROUS?":banghead:

Reactions: Prem51

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a fairly common human response in my experience - a lot of people don't like being "preached" to. Unless people specifically ask me a question, it's not a subject I normally discuss. I also figure if I was interested enough to research this stuff for myself, then most other adults are capable of doing the same thing. If they're not prepared to do it to convince themselves of the validity of any approach (dietary or anything else for that matter), then any chance of "converting" them is pretty much out of the question IMO. These days information is just an internet search away, so if they're not looking, they probably don't want to know.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am happy to talk about it - endlessly ;) - but only if the subject comes up naturally, and if they show an interest that seems genuine.

Personally, I can't stand Born Again zealots whether they are talking about religion, politics, food or lifestyle. So I would hate to cause that cringe in someone else.

The majority of people in my life (including extended In Laws) haven't got a clue I am diabetic and have never even noticed my weird eating. And I like it that way. I'm not hiding it. They have all the clues. They just aren't interested enough to work it out - so I'm not going to force it on them.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A lady in the cafe yesterday seemed proud to tell anybody around her she was a diabetic whilst tucking into a plate of chips. And when her friend went off to pay, she tucked into her plate of chips too. What can I say. X

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If folk want to trust their doctors and other trained healthcare professionals rather than take the advice of posters on an Internet forum then that is their prerogative and their look out.
Not giving "advice" - just pointing to an increasingly burgeoning body of evidence that is there for those who are interested enough to follow it up. If you agree with the evidence, fine - if you don't, also fine, so long as you have actively considered and analysed what is being put forward.

Just because people have been "trained", it doesn't mean their minds are open.

As Galileo didn't say -"more chips, anyone?"

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It's difficult to change people's beliefs, regardless of the evidence you present. Just keep doing what works for you.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is the responsibility of those in the know to spread the word!
It is the medical profession that decrees what is 'healthy'
It is the media's coverage of healthy food for healthy people that persuades the propaganda churned out that has the mindset that 'healthy' food is good for everyone!

When that propaganda is believed that is where the problem lies.

There has been some notable propaganda coups in the recent past.
None more so than Trump.
Brexit and the blatant disregard of the truth by both sides.
The Labour leader Jeremy Corben is vilified by the media,

Nee I say more!

I'm still diabetic! (No, I'm not!)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Let's be honest. before we were diagnosed as diabetic we would have been sceptical and uninterested too.
It's only the shock of being diagnosed that made us look for ways to deal with it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If folk want to trust their doctors and other trained healthcare professionals rather than take the advice of posters on an Internet forum then that is their prerogative and their look out.
Yeah cos they are all getting so much better doing that..

Reactions: Freema

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

And will they listen???

Just think of it as casting pearls before swine..:)

Reactions: Freema and zand

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it scary that I believed that I was eating a very healthy diet over the last 20 years and felt reasonably good. Now on LCHF, I weigh the same as I did when I was 20, have more energy than I know what to do with and physically have none of the minor irritations that people seem to expect as they age. I have no aches in any joints, no indigestion and no colds or coughs this winter (so Far!). It's hard not to want to share that feeling with others but you are right that most people just don't want to hear. My family now mostly accept and support what I am doing and I realise I am lucky in that. Look forward to showing them the article in New Scientist...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been low carbing since the mid 70s and have had insults, threats, dire warnings - yet every time I have taken the advice of those I should be able to trust things have gone wrong - I low carbed all through my first pregnancy no porblem, but I mentioned Atkins to my doctor during my second - he went balistic and threatened me with being confined to hospital if I persisted. I caved - and a month later was being told I had pre eclampsia and had to go back to the clinic in two days after total rest to see if I needed to go to hospital. Bed rest with a 3 year old to look after? I just went back to the low carb foods and recovered in a week. It did effect the baby - my first was always at the top end for development, the second is OK, but not as robustly healthy.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D yes it is rather ironic that the solution to this T2D and Foie Gras epidemic may be so simple...but few would believe or even try it.

Of course we know it won't work for everyone...but there's a good many out there who will experience liberation and empowerment.

Reactions: Prem51

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The majority of people in my life (including extended In Laws) haven't got a clue I am diabetic and have never even noticed my weird eating. And I like it that way. I'm not hiding it. They have all the clues. They just aren't interested enough to work it out - so I'm not going to force it on them.
Sigh of relief that I am not the only one :angelic:
My excuse is that the older generation (youngest 82) have a plethora of health problems of their own without having to concern themselves about my minor irritation. The only thing I cant hide is the 20% of me that has 'gone missing' Just tell them I have started running again, which is true:shifty: