People wont listen - rant

mackeown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is also worth looking at the psychology of experts and expertise.
Once a person has risen to 'expert' in title and reputation, they cannot possibly be wrong, less still admit such!
All of their work be it academic or in any other field, will be brought into question.
It is not until somebody else comes along with a fresh approach - and is not an expert - can new ideas be considered. That they become accepted takes time - especially when being considered by experts for publication!

In my previous
Typo - I meant epidemic, not endemic .
For the record, my blood sugars are 'normal' and I am on no medications at all

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is also worth looking at the psychology of experts and expertise.
Once a person has risen to 'expert' in title and reputation, they cannot possibly be wrong, less still admit such!
All of their work be it academic or in any other field, will be brought into question.
It is not until somebody else comes along with a fresh approach - and is not an expert - can new ideas be considered. That they become accepted takes time - especially when being considered by experts for publication!

In my previous
Typo - I meant epidemic, not endemic .
For the record, my blood sugars are 'normal' and I am on no medications at all
Nothing new there!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe one problem with the unconverted is the use of the LCHF acronym. I think it's best to use the term LC. The HF bit scares people as they may think it means cramming loads of fat which they have been told for years is unhealthy. They haven't been told to have HC but get it in all the food we eat and without asking. When people see the weight-gain and other befits of LC then they can be advised that increasing the fats will not cause weight gain and they have a choice of fat types. It also won't have much effect on cholesterol levels either.

Reactions: Freema

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was attending a neuropathy meeting last week this lady was eating a hug cinnamon bun,she excused herself
"When I took the wrapping of most of the sugar stuck on it. And besides the Government is paying for my medication."
I know this is serious - but that has made me laugh out load - there is no limit on the genius comedy value of pure ignorance - :banghead::)

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I know this is serious - but that has made me laugh out load - there is no limit on the genius comedy value of pure ignorance - :banghead::)
WOW .. WOW .. WOW :mad: :mad:
But .. how much of this ignorance is down to the lack of interest and duff information folks are given by the NHS and their HCPs

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But .. how much of this ignorance is down to the lack of interest and duff information folks are given by the NHS and their HCPs
All of it I imagine ?- I also have to admit that pre-diagnosis I was as ignorant myself - I always thought I eat an healthy diet - little did I know - however - there's no excuse after being diagnosed is there ?- if a life changing disease wont get your attention, and encourage you to learn about it then I guess nothing will ?

D

Deleted member 371625

To be fair to the person in question, government advice is for 300g carbs per day.
I looked up a chocolate muffin and, as a snack at 50g carbs, it doesn't take too high a proportion of the daily total. We may know that 300g is way too high but most people trust doctor/NHS advice.
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb...ate-chocolate-muffin--taste-the-difference-x2

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I've been there too and people don't listen unless they're in a bind. And mostly listen for the wrong reasons. For example if you present a LC diet as a great way to loose weight they are all over it. But present the same diet to avoid diabetes and ho-hum. Or LC to reverse diabetes and they don't listen. Same diet to get off medication and you have their attention. Why do people go on diets to loose weight instead going on diets to be healthy? My opinion is people will believe their doctors because it's the path of least resistance (here take these pills and you'll be okay") and I had a diabetic educator tell me the reason they don't pitch diet is because so few people have the motivation to do things that are hard. So they just do what most people can live with. Maybe the educators just need to be trained how to motivate people. No2D

I believe one problem with the unconverted is the use of the LCHF acronym. I think it's best to use the term LC. The HF bit scares people as they may think it means cramming loads of fat which they have been told for years is unhealthy. They haven't been told to have HC but get it in all the food we eat and without asking. When people see the weight-gain and other befits of LC then they can be advised that increasing the fats will not cause weight gain and they have a choice of fat types. It also won't have much effect on cholesterol levels either.

Hi @No2D and @Daibell .. I agree with both of your posts and I think that it is the social and cultural representation of DIET itself that is the problem. As a nation we are bombarded with endless messages to EAT (pretty much anything) and, then, when it all goes wrong, we are told that we must DIET. So we put ourselves through all the rigmarole of starving, calorie counting, eating invented stuff that is pushed to us as the latest "celebrity diet" or "magic solution" to our weight problem. For many people, this goes wrong as well, with all the associated feelings of shame, despondency and desperation .. so guess what, we start eating again to make ourselves "feel better". It's like a merry-go-round that never stops, where people are trapped in an endless cycle of Eat - Diet - Eat - Diet. I believe that the Food industry and the Diet industry are two sides of the same coin, both with their own vested interests to keep the cycle going.

Solution .. break the cycle. We have to EAT but we don't have to DIET. So, LCHF (or LC if you prefer) should not be considered, promoted, described, talked about - whatever, as a DIET. It is, in fact, nothing less than a lifestyle which can be followed (or not) as a matter of choice .. and, for me, being diabetic makes it a simple choice

Reactions: Ultramum

sd29

You've been very brace to make the changes you have, and they have worked for you which is fantastic.

If life were as simple as following someone else's lead, they'd be no problems if the beacon was bright enough, but advice, like diabetes is both complex and personal.

Advice is something easy to give but hard to take. An example would be as follows- heart disease is the biggest killer in the uk. I can tell you the only way to 100% avoid the risk of heart disease is to run in front of a speeding bus. You won't die from heart disease!

Few enough people take the full advice from a doctor, and google experts are ten a penny. Don't be disheartened, keep being a great example to others, but don't expect miracles. Being a coach or mentor instead of a preacher can often turn futures around faster.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done both of you! Try to keep focussed on your own achievements and don't be disheartened by the incredible shrinking man.

its amazing what happens to some men ( not all I know :)) . about half way into this diet, I weighed about a bit less than an overweight male friend - 92 for me and 95 kilos for him. Three months on he is no 75 kilos and rapidly running out of fat to lose and I am still struggling t get below 88 ! and we are eating pretty much the same stuff - so my 4 versus his 20 !
slightly miffed is right !

A

Avocado Sevenfold

its amazing what happens to some men ( not all I know :)) . about half way into this diet, I weighed about a bit less than an overweight male friend - 92 for me and 95 kilos for him. Three months on he is no 75 kilos and rapidly running out of fat to lose and I am still struggling t get below 88 ! and we are eating pretty much the same stuff - so my 4 versus his 20 !
slightly miffed is right !
Focus, focus!

Reactions: CherryAA

hannahrose

Type of diabetes
Carer
I have been pointing people to this site, and the forum. I have been telling them about my results and how I achieved them. I have been explaining about sugars and carbs, and that low fat is not a good idea. I have used graphs, links to thread, links to videos, links to websites.

And will they listen???

Nope. Not on your Nellie. Nada. Nope.

And even worse, they think I am doing something dangerous and i need saving from myself.

I feel like giving up trying to help as it seems to be alienating others. I am only trying to help as part of conversations about media articles, or their meds, or worsening symptoms. But they dont have the courtesy to even give my info and ideas a go. Not just family, but friends, people I talk to online about other stuff. Its like I am not given a fair hearing and they arent going to listen no matter what.

did u try drinking tea with a slice of ginger?? It works wonders...also DEHYDRATED peaches...they must be dehydrated... it is amazing how these 2 things lower bp...a friend at church tried it and it's working great for her....but don't drink the ginger tea every nite?? Tho ginger is great for stomach aches..ie, ginger ale?? too much ginger can also hurt your stomach... the peaches work fantastic..also, lima beans are good for u..but, YUK lol

Fed up : ((((((

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I have been pointing people to this site, and the forum. I have been telling them about my results and how I achieved them. I have been explaining about sugars and carbs, and that low fat is not a good idea. I have used graphs, links to thread, links to videos, links to websites.

And will they listen???

Nope. Not on your Nellie. Nada. Nope.

And even worse, they think I am doing something dangerous and i need saving from myself.

I feel like giving up trying to help as it seems to be alienating others. I am only trying to help as part of conversations about media articles, or their meds, or worsening symptoms. But they dont have the courtesy to even give my info and ideas a go. Not just family, but friends, people I talk to online about other stuff. Its like I am not given a fair hearing and they arent going to listen no matter what.

Fed up : ((((((
Same with me. But then, adversity makes a great teacher. Sometimes you have to shock people to get their attention. Don't lose hope just yet.

A wise man speaks because he has something to say...
A fool speaks because he has to say something.