1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pepsi max

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Gricep, May 19, 2020.

1. Gricep

Gricep Type 2 · Active Member

So how do people find Pepsi max in relation to blood sugar readings ?

2. dragongirl

dragongirl · Well-Known Member

I don't like Pepsi but it's supposed to be free of carbs, isn't it? I wouldn't expect it to alter my readings. I wonder what others have found?

3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know Pepsi Max, Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke don't affect my BS but they do for some, so you'll need to test to find out if it affects you

4. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Test using your meter- that is really the best way to find out. Our bodies are all different- you need to find out how things effect you.

Good luck

5. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I'm not overfond of Pepsi Max I prefer Diet Pepsi but neither affect my blood sugar levels.

6. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Take cover, too much information coming in!

For some people, artificial sweeteners don't do anything to their blood sugars. For others, the moment they smell or taste something sweet, the pancreas starts pumping out insulin, and when there's no rise in blood glucose, the liver has to start pumping out glucose (and usually too much of it) to compensate for going low, resulting in a rise. Yeah, I know, it's a bit of a merry-go-round eh. Testing what response you have 'll give you answers, whether you're one of the cans or can'ts..

But wait, there's more!

Careful with how much you ingest. Artificial sweeteners are toxic to gut bacteria. If you have a lot of them (Like I did with about 50 sweetener doses per day in all my tea's, besides the diet cokes I had), your gut'll shut down. It can get very painful and quite bloody. Permanent damage can be done. I've healed my bacteria-levels, but a year and a half, almost two years later my gut's still.... Not quite right. So careful. And if you notice something going awry, sauerkraut is your friend. ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. RoVic

RoVic Type 2 · Member

I have always had diet Pepsi with my rum! it didn't affect before at T2 and it certainly doesn't affect me now !! Thank goodness !! there has to be a little in life to enjoy

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Just the smell of any form of Pepsi (or Coke) makes me sick. But a sarsaparilla? Yep with a good serve of Bacardi and Tia Maria

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Trueshaper

Trueshaper Researcher · Newbie

Mike d, You're great ! Sarsaparilla is a real good analogue of pepsi/coke, It's MUCH healthier

10. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can't get sugar-free sarsaparilla here, but you're right that sarsaparilla knocks cola into a cocked hat!

11. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Baldwins have been making Sarsaparilla in the UK since the 1800s I think but at 27 grams of sugar per 100 mls I will stick with my diet pepsi. :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook