Physically Can't Inject Myself!! Help!!

John506

Everything was going fine until lunch time today, I went to take my injection as usual, and i physically couldn't stick it in myself.

I thought it will be fine at tea time, but tea time just come and I couldn't do it again, I had to inject into my leg really really slowly because my body just stops me from giving myself that jab!

I'm quite worried because I can't inject into my stomach anymore because it is too painful doing it slowly in that area, and I can't pull my pants down to slowly inject myself all the time, like if I'm out to lunch or tea or something!! Help!!!

Reactions: NaijaChick

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
T1 often injects through his clothes, when away from home

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
hanadr said:
T1 often injects through his clothes, when away from home

yeah, does that not blunt the needle and/or affect the hygeine levels involved?

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi
There's no problem with injecting through a thin layer of clothing as long as you're a clean person! Being doing it for years on occasions when it's just absolutely necessary. Of course medics will tell you never re-use a needle or finger-pricker but they're just covering themselves. If you're not happy with pen needles maybe you should consider vials and syringes. Syringes are so light and the needles small and fine. I used to find the weight and size of the pens made injections more painful. I know they're very popular, but many newly or recently diagnosed patients have never tried syringes,so it might be worth some thought.
Unfortunately whatever method you choose there's no getting around it, you are going to have to get used to it.
Chin up. :)
Jus

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
There IS a problem with injecting through clothing with the resultant risk of infections. It is not 'covering their backs !' (Medical staff)

Just because some people do does not make it an advisable procedure. Look at the damage to the needles in the photographs - I would never advise anybody to inject through clothing or re-use needles.
http://www.ypsomed.com/en/qualified_per ... 1/266.html

janabelle

Dislikes
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Maybe I should start advising on type 2 issues, and when I do have experience of it, perhaps I will.
I was merely stating my experience, and I have 20 years of it and not one infection from re-using needles or injecting through tights or light clothes,which I have done on occasion. No link for it though! :D Soz
Jus

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Janabelle.
Maybe I should start advising on type 2 issues, and when I do have experience of it, perhaps I will.

Feel free, if you have something relevant to offer your opinion would be valued. As injecting is not specific to T1's only and I as a T2 inject twice daily I also have a valid opinion. If you recall Janabelle you voiced this opinion before and were in a minority. Anyway, it is up to the individual and it is better to hear all shades of opinion.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Have you tried to get Emla cream on prescription John? This takes away the sting of injecting apparently .

iHs

For people who are newish to diabetes and need to inject themselves everyday then of course as they start off, they want to do everything correct so inject directly into the skin using a fresh needle on a pen everytime. For people who inject just twice/day that's fine but for those who use MDI and inject between 4-6 times/day, after a few years, it all starts to get to be a bit too much on the old skin as the same areas are used all the time, even with rotating. Like Janabelle, I also took to injecting through my clothes. Not only could I go virtually anywhere on my body but the injection was completely painless and no one noticed what I was doing as they didn't see me lifting up a t-shirt sleeve etc.

I'm not at all saying that people won't get an infection, but what I will say is that you have got to be very unlucky. As long as the cover is put on the needle after an injection (I hold mine between my teeth) and you use a new needle everyday, then people should be ok injecting through clothes.

janabelle

Dislikes
Having RP
I stand corrected Ken, but your profile states you are diet controlled. As for addressing this subject before, I'm unaware of it, but you've clearly been doing your research. It's not a competition, and if I happened to be in a minority in my opinion on a forum subject, it's neither here nor there.
John, pinching the skin might also make injecting less painful or inserting the needle at a slight angle. Even after 20 years I can still have a painful injection, particularly during my menstrual period when my skin does seem to be extra sensitive. However most of the time, it's just like brushing my teeth, you do it every day and get used to it. I hope you get to that point soon.
Best of luck
Jus

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Janabelle.

My profile states Byetta and Diet, as I no longer take oral meds there isn't a clear descriptor so it is in the medication area.

I don't have a problem with anybody doing whatever they want in regard to injecting, I respect those who have been doing it for years and use methods other than the ones recommended. That happens a lot on this forum. I mean, I exceed the speed limit sometimes.... it would be remiss of me to advocate others to do the same ? :D

I just want to let new users and others know that the medical opinion is what was described by me. Not arguing with anybody, and yes I have looked back at previous posts by all of us.

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had T1 diabetes fro 41 years but still have real fear of needles and it used to take me up to half an hour to do each injection (no exaggeration). I discovered a number of years ago the Autoject from Owen Mumford. You load the syringe as usual, put it into the Autoject, rest it against the skin and press a button. It puts the needle in (the problem bit for me) and then the insulin. It honestly did change my life, It now takes seconds for me to do the injection. You have to pay (about £20) but for me at least that is a very small price when I think about the anxiety I used to have. I have never injected through my clothes but do reuse the needles until they feel blunt.

janabelle

Dislikes
Having RP
RE-YPSOMED LINK
Personally I would not be so naive to trust this info, as the company has a financial interest in advising the disposal of pen needles after each use. Ypsomed manufacture penfine needles.
Jus

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Having seen the damage to needles under a microscope ,Janabelle ,I would say the pics were pretty accurate!!

Reactions: NaijaChick

cugila

Master
Dislikes
janabelle said:
RE-YPSOMED LINK
Personally I would not be so naive to trust this info, as the company has a financial interest in advising the disposal of pen needles after each use. Ypsomed manufacture penfine needles.
Jus

Janabelle. :roll:

Nobody is being forced to use needles once, twice or more if they want to. That link is one of hundreds on the internet and in medical journals which all say the same thing. Namely you should not inject through clothing, neither should you re-use needles.

If you and others want to use them more than once and inject through clothing then I'm not bothered one way or the other.

My point (no pun) is aimed at new members who need to be shown the correct way.

WhimsicalWays

Hi John,

So sorry that you are struggling with this... As others have opined, I really do feel like time will help. with this... However, when I was younger I used a gadget called the "Monoject Injectomatic" - basically an aluminum spring-loaded injector. After placing the loaded syringe in the device and prep'ing it, you place the head of it against your skin firmly and it inserts the syringe for you. While you do have to have a bit of force when placing it against your skin, you do not see the syringe enter your skin. This helped me a lot when I seemed to hesitate before injecting, or tended to not use enough force. As others have suggested, you will want to pinch your skin before you use the injectomatic to insert the syringe.

Anyway, just an idea... I am not sure if they still make the 'Injectomatic,' in fact it sounds like they likely have a newer model out there, but maybe something to consider.

Take good care, John, and good luck.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi John,

I have found that inserting the needle slowly is actually more painful than doing it quickly. I read Dr. Bernstein's book, and one of the best bits of advice was on injecting. I don't remember the exact words, but it was along the lines of hold the pen like a dart, close to the site where you're going to inject. Then quickly, insert the needle - not actually throwing like a dart, but with a similar action.

Since using this method I rarely experience any pain.

Regards,
Sam.