Planning a pregnancy

Sloaner92

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have Type 2.

My last 2 pregnancies where very tough - 1st baby was born at 11lb 9oz (Undiagnosed Gestational Diabetes) and my 2nd baby was born with Spina Bifida/Hydrocephalus due to Type 2 and low folate levels..

Just wondering what I need to do to try and prepare myself for planning my next pregnancy.. My levels are usually single figures, I have been taking folic acid (low dose) for 10 months and need to make a drastic change to my diet - constantly crave sugar - any advice?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sloaner92 When you say 'low dose' folic acid, what do you mean?

Before I conceived. I was prescribed a high dose folic acid tablet (5mg only available on prescription) and I understood that that was what all people withndiabetes who were trying to conceive should take. Have you spoken to your consultant about this? Does your local hospital have a pre-conception clinic where you can get advice?

So my tips would be - speak to your clinic; check the right dose of folic acid for you; and get your HbA1C at the optimum level for pregnancy (your team will tell you a figure, but generally they say roughly 6.5%).

You're doing the right thing getting prepared :) There's lots of support here on the main forum and in the Pregnancy section so have a good read round and ask any questions you like.

Best wishes to you X

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, azure has gave you the best tips, I just wanted to wish you luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Emma_Santiago

I've had type 2 diabetes for about 11+ years now, and I recently got pregnant around Christmas last year, but suffered a miscarriage in March of this year. It was the first time I was pregnant, and they had to admit me to the hospital for a couple of days to start the right dose of insulin. You usually have to give yourself insulin while pregnant and keep very strict control of your sugar levels. I was told to be around 60-90 when you wake up and no more than 130 an hour after a meal. I had out of control sugar levels before getting pregnant which I was told could have contributed to the miscarriage. My doctor also recently started me back on Metformin (generic name for Glucophage) which has been linked to helping with fertility and reduces the risks of miscarriages. I would suggest talking to your doctor about getting your body on the right track to get pregnant so you don't run the risks of miscarriage as I did. I'm planning on trying again here in a couple of weeks...Good luck to you and your husband!!!!