Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is and will only be a fad driven by vested interests!
I saw a report on the news that the company that is licenced to sell Lab Meat in Singapore has applied for licences to sell in US and EU. Their selling point is that its exactly like animal protein without the drawbacks of rearing animals. It is formed from stem cells in a sterile facility, and does not come into contact with fecal matter or streptococcus or listeria or salmonella or growth hormone. So far so good, but then they say it provides all the nutrients that real meat does. Er??? If it is missing the normal bacteria then it wll be missing the B6, B12, D3 and K2 vitamins, and will not have omega 3. The iron is probably not heme either since these all need bacteria and microbes to form in the animal. That is what nature does that the VAT man cannot do,

The other problem with sterile meat is that the human race will not be exposed to the normal bacteria and thus will not form antibodies against it. We normally get these antibodies from milk and cheese and meat in doses we can cope with, Remove these antibodies and we are at the mercy of major outbreaks of disease, If we don't need the meat then the animal is on the road to extinction since it will no longer be a financal benefit, and we will stop breeding them.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'll eat dead flesh as long as I can.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too. It's done me well so far. As a huge bonus, properly/sustainably reared food animals do the environment a terrific amount of good.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too. It's done me well so far. As a huge bonus, properly/sustainably reared food animals do the environment a terrific amount of good.
The worry I have is that the licence application is seeking to call the product 100% meat eg 100% Beef if the stem cells were originally derived from a cow. They are cloning stem cells in a vat, and after a couple of generations it is going to be very removed from the origin. At the moment they are having to call it meat
protein. This is not Dolly the Sheep. More like Soylent Green.