Please can we have a forum section on reactive hypoglycaemia?

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

@Giverny suggested I post this to remind her that I had asked the question ;)
And it seems to be the ideal opportunity to explain why I'm making the request.

Reactive hypoglycaemia is not diabetes, but it lies on the same glucose intolerance spectrum.

Put simply, diabetics get raised blood glucose, while reactive hypoglycaemics (RHs) get lowered blood glucose - but they often go on to develop diabetes.

Because of this, we often (seems to be a couple of times a week) get people arriving at the forum saying things like 'my doc says I'm not diabetic, but I have all these hypo like symptoms, and I don't understand...?'

It just seems to make sense to have an RH section for these questions and answers.

I've recently read a book by Diane Cress called 'The Diabetic Miracle'. In it she filled in a piece of the RH jigsaw puzzle for me.
She's a dietician for diabetics, and a type 2 herself, and in her practice she has observed that many of her type 2 patients experienced the following pattern:
- normal appetite and weight
- food cravings (carbs) develop
- weight gain develops
- pre diabetes develops
- diabetes is diagnosed

And Cress talks about how she believes that RH is actually the earliest stage of the route for some type 2s. A kind of pre-pre-diabetes.

It occurs when a food is eaten that requires insulin to be produced.
A normal person produces exactly the correct amount of insulin for the meal and blood glucose quickly returns to a stable level.
RHs produce just a smidge too much insulin. As a result, the blood glucose drops a bit faster after the meal, and it also drops a bit lower.

The RH person ends up with lower blood glucose than before they ate (although, if left long enough e.g. overnight, the BG would return to normal).

So they get hungry, quicker.
So they start to crave foods that boost the blood glucose quicker.
So they eat more (carbs)
So they produce more insulin.
So their blood glucose drops again.
So they crave...

It becomes a never ending cycle with two results:
1. the patient often gains weight (we know that excess insulin causes weight gain)
2. The patient's insulin producing capacity is strained over time

This, Cress says, may lead to pre- and then full type 2 diabetes.

But it is important to note that not all RH sufferers develop pre diabetes, just as not all prediabetics develop diabetes...

Treatment may be drugs (@nosher8355 knows far more about that than me) and a diet that keeps BG levels from fluctuating too high or low.

So please can we have an RH section? Maybe in the 'Other health conditions' section?

Oh my days. This has been me....like now I have so much more energy with my LCHF diet cause I'm not having the post food crash.
I think I've had a form of RH all my life but clearly not to unconscious levels. Even at school I would want to fall asleep in the afternoon around 2 hours after lunch.
When working I quickly realised if I was to be productive in the afternoon then to have the latest lunch.
Now with Type2 the post prandial slump happens quicker. But LCHF has been a major mood lifter, not so tired so not grumpy and snappy to family and friends.
I feel so cheated with all those years lost to depression and feeling lazy or a lot older than my years.
Thankyou Brunneria. This has answered a lot of stuff.
GC

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Very low carb, little and often, is the way to go.
If you don't hyper, then you don't hypo!

So glad you have gotten control and don't feel so bad!
It's good feeling good!

The energy you get from low carbing is really something isn't it?
Oh my days. This has been me....like now I have so much more energy with my LCHF diet cause I'm not having the post food crash.
I think I've had a form of RH all my life but clearly not to unconscious levels. Even at school I would want to fall asleep in the afternoon around 2 hours after lunch.
When working I quickly realised if I was to be productive in the afternoon then to have the latest lunch.
Now with Type2 the post prandial slump happens quicker. But LCHF has been a major mood lifter, not so tired so not grumpy and snappy to family and friends.
I feel so cheated with all those years lost to depression and feeling lazy or a lot older than my years.
Thankyou Brunneria. This has answered a lot of stuff.
GC

Have a read of the link below!

Reactions: 2 people

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Just stumbled across this forum and read the description at the start of it. Blimey. I think I'd been RH for years before I started to put on a lot of weight. Fast forward to my T2 diagnosis last month.

Reactions: Lamont D

lindisfel

Expert
You'll get plenty of help here Tabby. Low carb high fat stopped my R.H. in its tracks and the weight will drop off. regards Derek

Last edited:
Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just stumbled across this forum and read the description at the start of it. Blimey. I think I'd been RH for years before I started to put on a lot of weight. Fast forward to my T2 diagnosis last month.

There are quite a few T2s with RH that have been on the forum.

Any questions, please ask, as the knowledgeable people on here will try and answer them.

I'm down five stone, and counting!

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
You'll get plenty of help here Tabby. Low carb high fat stopped my R.H. in its tracks and the weight will drop off. regards Derek
Well, since T2 diagnosis I have been on a LCHF diet and I walk as much as I can every day. My BS numbers are coming down and I feel better than I have done for many years. Not sure how much weight I've lost as my scales at home are useless, but my clothes are getting loose!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well, since T2 diagnosis I have been on a LCHF diet and I walk as much as I can every day. My BS numbers are coming down and I feel better than I have done for many years. Not sure how much weight I've lost as my scales at home are useless, but my clothes are getting loose!

How low carb do you achieve, if you can give us an idea of what you eat, we may be able to help you.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Nosher, thanks for your kind offer. I've cut out all grains, almost all fruit except for those at the lowest end of the carb scale and starchy veg.

All that ends up on my plate are leafy veg, brassicas, asparagus, eggs, meat, fish, berries (sparingly), cheese and nuts.

I'm still using cow's milk in tea and coffee, but I'm considering cutting that out too as I've noticed a BS rise, yet I can get away with an occasional small portion of full-fat yogurt.

As yet I haven't calculated exactly how many carbs I'm consuming a day, but I have been logging everything I eat and drink for the past three weeks, so it shouldn't be too difficult to calculate.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nosher, thanks for your kind offer. I've cut out all grains, almost all fruit except for those at the lowest end of the carb scale and starchy veg.

All that ends up on my plate are leafy veg, brassicas, asparagus, eggs, meat, fish, berries (sparingly), cheese and nuts.

I'm still using cow's milk in tea and coffee, but I'm considering cutting that out too as I've noticed a BS rise, yet I can get away with an occasional small portion of full-fat yogurt.

As yet I haven't calculated exactly how many carbs I'm consuming a day, but I have been logging everything I eat and drink for the past three weeks, so it shouldn't be too difficult to calculate.

That's brilliant! I couldn't do better!
Maybe after a while, when you get consistent normal readings, you could also try some homemade soups, curry, stews and other low carb alternatives.
Logic dictates that everyone will get relatively bored with such a restricted diet/lifestyle. So, it's a mental battle as well.
The motivation I have found is, how ill I was before diagnosis.
I now have great incentive to be feeling as good as I am and if that means eating salad every day of my life, then so be it.
Using different protein, different ways has improved my choices.
Best wishes

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Why, thank you! I do worry about the boredom aspect, so I'm always trying new combinations of things and allow myself the very occasional treat and walk a little further the following day.

And I'm looking forward to making some delicious soups, stews, curries and roasts!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Have you tried the lactofree milk? it has less carbs than regular milk.. I get the full fat one as I found that the soya milk I was using was impeding my journey into ketosis (at least I think that's what was doing it).

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Try and enjoy the adventure of trial and error, testing, finding different foods, different ways and testing, testing, testing! And record everything!

You will see the benefits in the future

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been getting more than just a little bored of salads, particularly as we've been away a lot over the summer and I take one everywhere with me I case I can't find something suitable to eat. Ive recently been roasting vegetables to have with meat or fish for dinner (courgettes, tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, garlic,potatoes for my husband and kids, fresh thyme etc) and always save some to cook the following day in an omelette/frittata type of thing. If you let it go cold and store in the fridge, they're also good to take on picnics or days out. Makes a low carb, tasty alternative to the dreaded salad!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Tomatoes, mushrooms, onions slowly simmered in a frying pan with a drizzle of goose fat served upon gammon and eggs! One of my favourite meals!
I've been getting more than just a little bored of salads, particularly as we've been away a lot over the summer and I take one everywhere with me I case I can't find something suitable to eat. Ive recently been roasting vegetables to have with meat or fish for dinner (courgettes, tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, garlic,potatoes for my husband and kids, fresh thyme etc) and always save some to cook the following day in an omelette/frittata type of thing. If you let it go cold and store in the fridge, they're also good to take on picnics or days out. Makes a low carb, tasty alternative to the dreaded salad!

lindisfel

Expert
Have you tried the lactofree milk? it has less carbs than regular milk.. I get the full fat one as I found that the soya milk I was using was impeding my journey into ketosis (at least I think that's what was doing it).

Hi Bulkbiker,
I have been trying to cut down on full fat Yoghurt and I'm using Lidl Lactose free yoghurt that has less saturated fat.
I researched lactose free and read somewhere that lactose free actually has lactose in it just the same, but also has the enzyme lactase in it that breaks down the lactose and changes it into glucose in the gut. Most peoples bodies do this normally as their stomachs produce lactase.

So lactose 'free' may be just as carby?
regards
Derek

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bulkbiker,
I have been trying to cut down on full fat Yoghurt and I'm using Lidl Lactose free yoghurt that has less saturated fat.
I researched lactose free and read somewhere that lactose free actually has lactose in it just the same, but also has the enzyme lactase in it that breaks down the lactose and changes it into glucose in the gut. Most peoples bodies do this normally as their stomachs produce lactase.

So lactose 'free' may be just as carby?
regards
Derek
not according to the label 2.7g per 100g for the lactofree as opposed to 4.7g per 100g for regular full fat milk..only a small diff but if you are going for very low carb every little helps..

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Tomatoes, mushrooms, onions slowly simmered in a frying pan with a drizzle of goose fat served upon gammon and eggs! One of my favourite meals!

Someone seems to have stolen the "like" button! . I like the sound of that though Nosher . I've just had homemade chicken and mushroom stroganoff with brocolli and a small amount of wholegrain basmati rice (I know the rice isn't low carb but I can tolerate it ok), made with left over chicken from yesterday's roast. Yummy!