Plonkers (and no, I'm not insulting people)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When we were kids (early 70s) my mother used to make a huge batch of mashed potato on a Sunday to go with the roast. She always made enough to last the week.

The leftover mash was refridgerated in a big, brick like slab. Then sliced into chunks for reheating. Since it was before microwaves, she would shallow fry them in a frying pan with a tiny bit of cooking oil. A bit like cooking a burger on a griddle. The 'plonker' would be flipped carefully, once, to give it a scrumptious golden brown crispy top and bottom, with the middle warmed through.
They were delicious.

So now, I am wondering whether Cauliflower Plonkers are possible.

I'm thinking that the cauli could be a smooth (not sloppy) puree, or cauli rice, or cauli mash. But it would need binding together with cheese before being compressed into a block. The cheese would then solidify, leaving a sliceable brick.

I think the challenge might well be frying/reheating the plonkers at the correct temperature to get the lovely crispy surface without carbonising the cheese...

Anyone interested in joining me to quest for the perfect Plonker?

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not a lover of cheese but I like the idea of the original plonker. I too sometimes bulk prepare mash but these days you can get little plastic freezer containers. I have 200ml ones since tests show that I can have this amount of mash with meals occasionally. The thought of frying these instead of microwaving is appealing.

Oh yes. We are allowed to put a knob of butter in the mash now.

Reactions: 7 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Dad always made tea on Sunday I have no idea why and it is over 60 years ago ,anyway he used to fry left over mashed potatoes and it was called "pancrack"-again no idea why etc .I have tried something similar with celeriac and swede but I Dry it off with kitchen roll otherwise it turns out too wet I fry in coconut oil and get the pan very hot before adding the veg and keep turning to get a good crunchy outside Hope you succeed ! Keep us informed
CAROL

Reactions: 5 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just read your post to my wife,to our great amusement! Her mum used to make cauliflower fritters.Mashed cauliflower and egg mixed together with salt and pepper and pan fried.Cheese and spring onion or red pepper would be good additions too I reckon.
Love your thought processes tho!!

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just read your post to my wife,to our great amusement! Her mum used to make cauliflower fritters.Mashed cauliflower and egg mixed together with salt and pepper and pan fried.Cheese and spring onion or red pepper would be good additions too I reckon.
Love your thought processes tho!!

Brilliant! And I love the idea of the spring onions...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My dad always had a fry up of Sunday roast leftovers on a Monday, into a big frying pan, just like bubble and squeak!
My dad always had tripe with onions on a Tuesday.
Friday was always fried potatoes.
Wednesday and Thursday were lamb chops, brisket or a cheap cut of meat with vegetables.

Now I know why I was so picky and choosy, growing up!

Reactions: 5 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I am not a lover of cheese but I like the idea of the original plonker. I too sometimes bulk prepare mash but these days you can get little plastic freezer containers. I have 200ml ones since tests show that I can have this amount of mash with meals occasionally. The thought of frying these instead of microwaving is appealing.

Oh yes. We are allowed to put a knob of butter in the mash now.
I do that with all my left overs, put in the plastic containers.if too muc.then freeze them. Transfer into freezer bags...date and this leaves so much more room in the freezer as everything is in flat slabs!

Reactions: 2 people

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do this with sweet potato & carrot mash sometimes done with cheese other times I use egg. Not done it with Cauli mash but I reckon a bit of egg in with it should help bind it together.

Reactions: 4 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
You could try coating it in parmasan cheese as that would crisp up a treat and harden nicely, I may try it

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did something on boxing day I havent done for years. I took all the left over veg and threw it in a frying pan with some butter. Once it had crisped up - I made spaces for fried eggs. Oh my it was good - bit like bubble and squeak but without the mash - whole family loved it.
But those plonkers sound amazing. Am going to have to steel myself to try the cauli version and not the real thing! You little temptress @Brunneria ;););)