1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Poll: Which diabetes course(s) have you attended?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Administrator, Jan 19, 2015.

?

Which of the following structured diabetes education courses have you attended?

1. DAFNE

114 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. DESMOND

115 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. X-PERT

66 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. ASPIRE

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. Freedom4Life

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  6. Other (Please state in a post)

62 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. Never attended one

261 vote(s)
    43.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kazam401

kazam401 · Member

Being a diabetic since 1981 I got my 1 & only course in 2017 the DAFNE course. I found this invaluable - it was the 1st time I had actually been told how to control my levels via the carb counting. I am still pretty disgusted that it took my Health Authority so long to get me on this course & I feel that before then the health care I received was very very lacking. Unfortunately I live in an area of the UK that has very poor health care & this should not happen.

2. FUD

FUD Type 1 · Member

I did the DAFNE course at Salisbury (great team) 2012 about 18 months after being diagnosed.

It was great. When first diagnosed my I was instructed to keep regimented timings and specific amounts of food which was awkward and dull.

I appreciate there is the honeymoon period and some self learning to do but the sooner you can get on these courses the better.

They explain everything, and also show you to do whatever you want and adjust accordingly.

Refresher 1/2 days every now and then are also useful to go over certain points.

Because of that course I’ve been able to travel loads for months at a time self sufficient, increase my exercise and stop letting diabetes rule your life.

Go DAFNE

#FUD

3. misspinky1984

misspinky1984 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey I completely agree with you I was diagnosed with diabetes 1988 I was 4 years old and did DAFNE course 2012 , very frustrating

4. Injebreck

Injebreck Type 2 · Member

None. Nobody has ever suggested one. The closest I ever got was my review the Christmas before last when one of the nurses said she'd just been on one (which, incidentally, caused me to change to a low carb diet).

5. ohmylex

ohmylex · Member

never been to one !

6. michita

michita Type 1 · Well-Known Member

None. DAFNE has been offered but i declined. I can’t imagine having to take a week off from work for this (can they not do a weekend course) and also I don’t know how my low carb diet fits well with the course. They might all think I’m crazy eating low carb ?

7. dpoet

dpoet Type 2 · Active Member

I am going on the DESMOND one day course, they can't fit me in until August though.
    I have heard some bad things about the quality of the advice on this course, I don't want the Doc to think I am resistant to change. I may learn something anyway.

8. Benmyers

Benmyers · Member

I was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago, they've booked me on the DAFNE course for 26th June

9. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I have just got a invite to "Live Your Life Forum" in Bundaberg arranged by the NDSS and Diabetes Queensland. It cost $15.00 for the day which includes a a bag full of goodness to take home.

The supplied food and drinks are a bit sus, plenty of choice but no LCHF,

I am not going as I have better things to do on a Saturday.

[​IMG]

10. Fearless36

Fearless36 · Well-Known Member

So I did a DAFNE course last October (2018) and recently had a HB1AC test and my results have not reduced but doubled. Not happy or impressed and my Gp and hospital are absolutely useless in helping me to rectify this. I have a feeling I am going to have to do this alone without their help which is a joke. Not happy or impressed at all.

• Hug Hug x 1
  11. philly1991

philly1991 Type 1 · Active Member

Managed to book onto DAFNE in December, really looking forward to it and hoping I take something good from it.

12. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm on a DAFNE course starting Monday. I started insulin seven weeks ago. There was an introductory session last week. One person had had diabetes for 28 years and has never been on a course. I'm the most recent insulin user.

13. Route 66

Route 66 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I recently attended an EMPOWER course.

It lasted for 4 hours and by the time you get a place on it, you have already learnt all of what they cover.

They did cover most of what you would expect, and the last two hours was spent discussing EATWELL.

I surprised to see that of the 12 people who attended, only three of us had any determination to deal with the diagnosis. The remainder really didn't want to make any lifestyle changes.

The last 15 minutes was thrown open to questions and the Trainer did seem out of her depth when answering some of them.

Everyone was asked to leave their email addressses and were told they would be sent login details for ongoing support at MAPMYDIABETES. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but three weeks later and no sign of any login being sent.

It strikes me that the NHS can now tick a box that 12 more people have been through the system.

14. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

DAFNE I loved every minute. Learnt shed loads about coping with illness, how to get the best out of consultant appointments, not over treating hypos, and to treat properly with pure sugar so that it works quickly and efficiently. They checked how we were injecting made sure that people were rotating sites. Not everyone was. Just meeting other Type 1s, some who had had it donkeys years was brilliant.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook