Porridge Question

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks, i have been having small rolled porridge oats with almonds for breakfast for ages now and my 2 hour bg has generally been fine (near fasting), however for the last 2 days i have decided to do a 1 hour test. Blimey...up to 9.5 both days, however this drops really quickly back down to under 6, well within 2 hours.
Is this something i should look at, ie. Drop porridge or is it okay?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
What else are you having with your porridge, and do you use milk? How much grams do you use (I have circa 35). I have porridge 5 out of 7 mornings with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries (currents if I can get hold of them), I also use fresh coconut water, milk and water. I know after 2 hours my blood raises by 1 (I will test the 1 hour tomorrow).

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What else are you having with your porridge, and do you use milk? How much grams do you use (I have circa 35). I have porridge 5 out of 7 mornings with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries (currents if I can get hold of them), I also use fresh coconut water, milk and water. I know after 2 hours my blood raises by 1 (I will test the 1 hour tomorrow).

Hi about 35g of porridge also, bit of semi-skimmed with a few almonds, sometimes blueberries. I like almond milk but I don't think it will make any difference to my bg as i've had awful experiences with it with muesli before. Thanks

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have one of those porridge in pots that you just add water too and after two hours, my bs levels go up by 2. Which I am happy with. I have one every morning.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one of those porridge in pots that you just add water too and after two hours, my bs levels go up by 2. Which I am happy with. I have one every morning.

Have you ever done a 1 hour test ? mine are okay at 2 hours but 1 hour - not good !

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Never tested after one hour but will from tomorrow as I am now caurious

charlie_farley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have Porridge 6 days a week I put a teaspoon of Cinnamon in it before cooking plus some berries and use Almond Milk to cook it and to cool it .I have never tested after 1 hour but will try that tomorrow and report back .I should have said I usually keep from 5.9 to 6.2.

Lahaina1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi folks, i have been having small rolled porridge oats with almonds for breakfast for ages now and my 2 hour bg has generally been fine (near fasting), however for the last 2 days i have decided to do a 1 hour test. Blimey...up to 9.5 both days, however this drops really quickly back down to under 6, well within 2 hours.
Thanks
Hi
I am new to this also. I had the same thing happen to me. If you only test after two hours you never know that you went so high. Your secondary insulin response kicked in because of the high carbs in oatmeal. I am reluctant to have it on a daily basis. When I do have it I try to eat a protein like eggs with it.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I am new to this also. I had the same thing happen to me. If you only test after two hours you never know that you went so high. Your secondary insulin response kicked in because of the high carbs in oatmeal. I am reluctant to have it on a daily basis. When I do have it I try to eat a protein like eggs with it.

Eggs with porridge?!

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My brain is like a computer.

Garbage in garbage out.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say to have cold oats as in muesli and not 'stewed' oats as in porridge to reduce spikes. Cooking the oats will break down some of the cell structure releasing more available starch. As usual the meter will guide you.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks
Even a non diabetic could have a high rise like that after an hour. As you are back to under 6 after two hours then I would say no worries. Most people say an hour after food to soon to test

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even a non diabetic could have a high rise like that after an hour. As you are back to under 6 after two hours then I would say no worries. Most people say an hour after food to soon to test
Thanks , that's just what I wanted to hear

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I would say to have cold oats as in muesli and not 'stewed' oats as in porridge to reduce spikes. Cooking the oats will break down some of the cell structure releasing more available starch. As usual the meter will guide you.
I'm going to try this, as well as not cooked with Greek or similar yogurt.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi about 35g of porridge also, bit of semi-skimmed with a few almonds, sometimes blueberries. I like almond milk but I don't think it will make any difference to my bg as i've had awful experiences with it with muesli before. Thanks
I did the 1 hour test and this went from 4.5 to 6.8. I might cut back by about a third as an oversized bowl is filled to the brim with nuts, berries and coconut...naughty I do know breakfast should comfortably fit into a regular bowl.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
At the end of the day the most important number is what your bg is once your insulin has run out. Many diabetics cannot remain on a flatline after they eat despite what this forum says. So I would at first see what your bg is after 4/5 hours is depending on how your insulin is delivered and if you are unhappy talk to your nurse about it :)

sorry it seems you may be type 2? if so ignore me. that wasn't clear in your post.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Strangely enough and coincidently my grand son made him self porridge oats with egg whites for his lunch today I was astounded.

I would really like to stab him in the finger one day and see what his BG levels are like but he is not interested.