Porridge

mhaffner73

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Porridge oats - what’s the recommended amount to make an over night oats - I see they are good because of the fibre but wanted to check how much everyone would recommend for an over nights potion size

I always make with water

Reactions: Welshman1952

mhaffner73

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I use 1/3 cup when making muesli and I use milk for soaking.

Perfect thank you. Just need some guidance on the odd bit as this is all new to me I followed a recipie from the diabetes website and it was awful like water I’ll give this a go :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

Porridge oats - what’s the recommended amount to make an over night oats - I see they are good because of the fibre but wanted to check how much everyone would recommend for an over nights potion size

I always make with water
It all depends on how your blood glucose levels spike aftrewards.
Oats are high in carbs, not matter how you have them.
And high spikes because of high carbs is not recommended!
But if they don't spike you, then that is o.k.!
Use your glucometer if you have one.

mhaffner73

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
It all depends on how your blood glucose levels spike aftrewards.
Oats are high in carbs, not matter how you have them.
And high spikes because of high carbs is not recommended!
But if they don't spike you, then that is o.k.!
Use your glucometer if you have one.

I haven’t a clue. I was told
I’m Prediabetic a week ago so in prep for my nurse phone call Tuesday I’m trying to get by sh** together and have already lost 3 lbs

On my doctors results I can see two reports A1c 6.3% and another that says 45. Means nothing to me at the moment

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven’t a clue. I was told I’m Prediabetic a week ago so in prep for my nurse phone call Tuesday I’m trying to get by sh** together and have already lost 3 lbs

On my doctors results I can see two reports A1c 6.3% and another that says 45. Means nothing to me at the moment
An HbA1c result under 43 mmol/mol is considered normal, 43 to 48 is classed as pre-diabetic, while a reading over 48 is diabetic.
I'd keep a record of this month's HbA1c result; it's a useful benchmark going forward.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
From your other thread I take it you are eating vegan, which makes it more difficult to go as low carb as many of our other members.
With an hba1c of 45 mmol/mol (or 6.3%, it's the same, just different units used), you're only at prediabetic levels, so small changes may be enough to get your numbers down.

And it may be you can deal with oats pretty well.
The only way to find out is to test before and after your meal to see how it affects you.

Many of us find we deal with carbs better in the afternoon and evening than in the morning. So if you find your oats spike you in the morning, maybe save them for later in the day and break your fast with something like avocado with plenty of olive oil and some nuts or such?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I always make with water
I don't eat any grain as it causes huge spikes in my blood glucose due to the high carb content.

mhaffner73

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
From your other thread I take it you are eating vegan, which makes it more difficult to go as low carb as many of our other members.
With an hba1c of 45 mmol/mol (or 6.3%, it's the same, just different units used), you're only at prediabetic levels, so small changes may be enough to get your numbers down.

The only way to find out is to test before and after your meal to see how it affects you.

Many of us find we deal with carbs better in the afternoon and evening than in the morning. So if you find your oats spike you in the morning, maybe save them for later in the day and break your fast with something like avocado with plenty of olive oil and some nuts or such?

That’s great thank you. Passover. Learning curve but I’m getting there I think

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I always make with water
I guess it depends on how much you want and how your BGs react. I can manage 1/2 cup soaked in soya milk but my wife (who isn't diabetic but is on a diet) prefers 1/4 cup. I also add 2 tsp of ground flax seed to the mix

bchamp62

Hi, I’m just diagnosed T2 with readings of 49 & 50mmol/L. 500mg metformin.
Having joined the site and been reading about breakfast and BG spikes. What would we call a spike? Reason I’m asking is that I’ve been eating porridge, berries & nuts for breakfast for months!!
I range from 5.9 to 6.4mmol/L first thing. Haven’t been testing after breakfast, but did this morning(after reading posts) which was 8.9 mmol/L 90mins post eating. I assume this is too high so I need to ditch the oats and go Greek yogurt, nuts, flax seeds? As I’m a breakfast person this will be a challenge.
Oh- my nurse told me not to test as I’ll only worry myself !!!

Reactions: Dearbhla

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@bchamp62 Test you BG before you eat then again 2 hours after your first mouthful, if your BG has gone up by 2 mmols or more that’s classed as a reaction (spike)

Reactions: bchamp62 and filly

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having joined the site and been reading about breakfast and BG spikes. What would we call a spike? Reason I’m asking is that I’ve been eating porridge, berries & nuts for breakfast for months!!
I range from 5.9 to 6.4mmol/L first thing. Haven’t been testing after breakfast, but did this morning(after reading posts) which was 8.9 mmol/L 90mins post eating. I assume this is too high so I need to ditch the oats and go Greek yogurt, nuts, flax seeds? As I’m a breakfast person this will be a challenge.
There's no accepted definition. Personally, I have a problem with describing a normal and expected rise in BG as a spike. It seems to have become more common since more non-diabetic people started using CGMs, or maybe that's only my impression.

So - to take a personal example - I know that having one small latte will take me from a starting point of 5.3 to a high point of 9.6 after about 30 minutes. That is because of the lactose in the milk. By the two hour point (actually after one hour) my system has cleared the excess glucose and I'm back at 5.3 again. CGM data.

I guess that if I did the same thing and got 19.6 I'd call that a spike. Otherwise it's just a normal and expected rise and fall. You should expect to see BGs rise after eating carbs - what I'm after is taking in no more than my system can deal with. Actually I'd be much more worried about eating something that (eg) took me to 8 and then kept me there for six hours.

The general indication is that it's sustained high blood glucose levels over time that that causes damage, not short-lived rises. I start exhibiting unwelcome diabetic symtoms at an HbA1c of about 43, so "high" for me is definitely not all that high for others.

It might be worth you having a look at the large numbers of CGM graphs on the internet - some from diabetic people, many from non-diabetics. Rises and falls in BG are standard, and happen in response to many more things than food.

Reactions: Paul41

bchamp62

There's no accepted definition. Personally, I have a problem with describing a normal and expected rise in BG as a spike. It seems to have become more common since more non-diabetic people started using CGMs, or maybe that's only my impression.

So - to take a personal example - I know that having one small latte will take me from a starting point of 5.3 to a high point of 9.6 after about 30 minutes. That is because of the lactose in the milk. By the two hour point (actually after one hour) my system has cleared the excess glucose and I'm back at 5.3 again. CGM data.

I guess that if I did the same thing and got 19.6 I'd call that a spike. Otherwise it's just a normal and expected rise and fall. You should expect to see BGs rise after eating carbs - what I'm after is taking in no more than my system can deal with. Actually I'd be much more worried about eating something that (eg) took me to 8 and then kept me there for six hours.

The general indication is that it's sustained high blood glucose levels over time that that causes damage, not short-lived rises. I start exhibiting unwelcome diabetic symtoms at an HbA1c of about 43, so "high" for me is definitely not all that high for others.

It might be worth you having a look at the large numbers of CGM graphs on the internet - some from diabetic people, many from non-diabetics. Rises and falls in BG are standard, and happen in response to many more things than food.

Thank so much for your reply

flonvic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try half the amount of porridge and add the same amount of ground almonds.its a different texture but its ok.

Reactions: filly

Thornliebank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Try half the amount of porridge and add the same amount of ground almonds.its a different texture but its ok.
I've been sitting here for a couple of hours try to work a few things out , just having had a starving BT aT hospital.

i bought a Tee2+ a few weeks ago and have been cutting carbs and testing before and after meals .
on reading all the wonderful information on here , most people seem to quote a HBA1C ? Which I noticed on my doc records , but can’t get on my meter , so I only have a mmo/L number.?

another thing is porridge , good or bad ?

also are all the diet sites for recipes paying ones ? As worried about signing up to something I can’t afford in the long run?

gathering recipes from everywhere I can , I seem to have lost interest in cooking but am trying ( yes very trying , that’s how it gets at 83)
I tried the cabbage mash which I loved and will replace potatoes for me ,
i tried to make bread rolls at w.e ( never been a baker) they were. Disgusting,straight in the bin , turned purple in the making .But I do like bread usually eat sourdough! Looking for something to have at least a slice of bread per day .
Still looking for advise ,
thank you