Porridge

marieREN

Im sure this had been askd so appologies up front. I have Porridge for Breakfast most days but quesse carbs in it as never sure can you guys tell me what carbs are in this breakfast cereal i have it made with water n put small amount of milk when ready to eat. thanks :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Check the packaging it comes in, traditional porridge oats works out around 24-26g of carbs for a 40g serving, as I say it will give the nutritional information on the package, after that you just need to work out the carbs in the milk you use, Semi-Skimmed milk has has 5g of carbs per 100ml serving.

marieREN

Buy it loose so dont have packet but thank you will try seems a lot of carbs for 140 grm portion i had this morning . :lol: :lol: thanx though

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
marieREN said:
Buy it loose so dont have packet but thank you will try seems a lot of carbs for 140 grm portion i had this morning . :lol: :lol: thanx though

I think noblehead is talking about the dry weight of the oats being 40 grams. Of course when you add the water and milk it will bring the weight up.

You calculate the carbs in the dry oats and add the carbs in the milk to arrive at the total in the cooked porridge.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Marie, :)

I am going to be a little clever with regard to Porage (yes I am Scottish).

Noblehead's numbers are about as good as you can get, however the word traditional is quite important.

I would recommend "Scott's Old Fashioned Porage Oats" or any traditional (chunky)porridge oats.

Traditional oats are more chunky (not ground down like sawdust), that's quite important.

Also if you do not measure there is more in the bowl yet less weight.

I just pour hot water on mine and that is it. ( since being diabetic I now add ground chia seeds and ground linseeds a few minutes after adding the hot water)

I have been told Asda sell a chunky type porridge oats.

When it comes to the cost, well tesco everyday value porridge is fine,however might make your throat a little horse :lol:

Enjoy your oats,

Roy,

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
marieREN said:
Ahhh so you mean dry weight to be 40grm then cook that dry weight with water????????????? :D

Yes indeed, I should have really said that earlier :)

Try adding some pumpkin seeds, blueberries and yogurt to your porridge.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try jordans traditional jumbo oats , available from all good supermarkets.
Add ground flaxseed, alpro soya yoghurt and fresh raspberries.
One night in heaven,one night in heaven..

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

marieREN

Thankx All will be having 40grm dry weight in morning for Breakfast n go 25 cp n see how i get on mmmmmmmmm my poeeidge tht i buy is quick a good size oats /

p.s Yogurt to porridge yuk ha ha ha

judyann1

Ive just tried yoghurt with my porridge for first time - could get used to it mmm - usually have a tablespoon cream - extra yummy !

marieREN

Morning well il mayb have a goo with yogurt nut really dont fancy it Blueberrys seem much better . had Porridge this am so will see how wee go

marieREN

Went well had 20grm dry porridge made with water served with little milk n took 17 cp BG at 1pm 7.1 :D im very happy
thanx all

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have porridge every morning (made by my husband !) Using a measuring cup.... a scant measuring cup of oats, scant cup of skimmed milk, 2 scant cups of water, pinch of salt and 4 teaspoons of sugar are approximately 65 gms of carbohydrates. I know the sugar is not good, but I believe all artificial 'sprinkler' sweetener contains the dreaded aspartame so as long as you count the sugar in your carb count it is probably better than aspartame !

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sue cope said:
I have porridge every morning (made by my husband !) Using a measuring cup.... a scant measuring cup of oats, scant cup of skimmed milk, 2 scant cups of water, pinch of salt and 4 teaspoons of sugar are approximately 65 gms of carbohydrates. I know the sugar is not good, but I believe all artificial 'sprinkler' sweetener contains the dreaded aspartame so as long as you count the sugar in your carb count it is probably better than aspartame !
Hi
stevia doesn't contain aspartame and to be honest a spoonful of honey may be better than 4 teaspoons of the white stuff.
(Especially local honey if possible, great natural anti histamine) However, granted the jury's out on whether to touch honey or not being diabetic, there's heavy arguments for both sides on that one.
Why not throw some raspberries or a banana into some plain porridge?
If you do put salt in it, get a good sea salt.

sally edwards

I have just been diagnosed with T2 but have always had porridge for breakfast, currently Jordan's organic jumbo oats. Hate it without sugar but have (prior to diagnosis) been using Agave Syrup instead of sugar. It's made from the Mexican cactus, and is said to be low GI so no sugar rush, it's very sweet tasting and I prefer it to honey. Calories are probably the same as sugar or honey but it is suggested as better for diabetics. :crazy:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
A great series
But I loved everything Ronny Barker did

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sally edwards said:
I have just been diagnosed with T2 but have always had porridge for breakfast, currently Jordan's organic jumbo oats. Hate it without sugar but have (prior to diagnosis) been using Agave Syrup instead of sugar. It's made from the Mexican cactus, and is said to be low GI so no sugar rush, it's very sweet tasting and I prefer it to honey. Calories are probably the same as sugar or honey but it is suggested as better for diabetics. :crazy:
I use this brand too but throw in some fresh raspberries for sweetness or just plain.
My dad rakes it with a spoonful of stevia.
I don't live with him. I'm all grown up now with my own house, car and everything.:lol:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers said:
A great series
But I loved everything Ronny Barker did
Sid....you're bonkers:grin: