Positive Vibes

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all :)

Many of my posts relate to the lows of diabetes and the day to day challenges we all face so I'm going to try something different.
Today I have been feeling hugely positive for the first time in a very long time. My bg levels seem to have found a happy medium over the last couple of weeks and I feel like I'm really getting to grips with it and applying everything I learned when attending DAFNE. I won't go as far as saying they've been perfect but I am definitely starting to see improvements and I am feeling so much better for it. I personally have found living with diabetes so mentally challenging, draining and exhausting but the last few days I can honestly say I haven't found it a chore and I haven't been embarrassed by my condition and it hasn't stopped me doing anything.

I guess what I really want to say is NEVER give up. We will all have those days, maybe even weeks or months where we feel deflated and defeated and maybe even sometimes give up slightly (speaking from experience). But we are all so quick to criticise ourselves and that's not what this is about. This is about learning about ourselves and our bodies, and going through the rough times together. Supporting one another and sharing our strength. Nothing is perfect, nothing is right or wrong. Most importantly we are ALIVE.

Stay safe everyone and be kind to yourself.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's great to hear you're getting to grips with your T1. I'm T2 and I fully get the 'mentally challenging, draining and exhausting' part. I have moments where I literally weep with the relentlessness of having to be constantly aware of what I eat. Having said that, I've been testing my blood glucose levels over the past week or so and it would appear that I have it mostly under some sort of control with readings generally not above 5.9 mmol/L. I've hit a blip tonight with a 3hr postprandial reading of 7.0 though :banghead:. Tomorrow's another day :).

Reactions: VashtiB

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's so good to hear. I'm going through a negative patch myself, cant seem to get stable numbers. So great to hear some positivity
Hi all :)

Many of my posts relate to the lows of diabetes and the day to day challenges we all face so I'm going to try something different.
Today I have been feeling hugely positive for the first time in a very long time. My bg levels seem to have found a happy medium over the last couple of weeks and I feel like I'm really getting to grips with it and applying everything I learned when attending DAFNE. I won't go as far as saying they've been perfect but I am definitely starting to see improvements and I am feeling so much better for it. I personally have found living with diabetes so mentally challenging, draining and exhausting but the last few days I can honestly say I haven't found it a chore and I haven't been embarrassed by my condition and it hasn't stopped me doing anything.

I guess what I really want to say is NEVER give up. We will all have those days, maybe even weeks or months where we feel deflated and defeated and maybe even sometimes give up slightly (speaking from experience). But we are all so quick to criticise ourselves and that's not what this is about. This is about learning about ourselves and our bodies, and going through the rough times together. Supporting one another and sharing our strength. Nothing is perfect, nothing is right or wrong. Most importantly we are ALIVE.

Stay safe everyone and be kind to yourself.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
That's great to hear you're getting to grips with your T1. I'm T2 and I fully get the 'mentally challenging, draining and exhausting' part. I have moments where I literally weep with the relentlessness of having to be constantly aware of what I eat. Having said that, I've been testing my blood glucose levels over the past week or so and it would appear that I have it mostly under some sort of control with readings generally not above 5.9 mmol/L. I've hit a blip tonight with a 3hr postprandial reading of 7.0 though :banghead:. Tomorrow's another day :).
Hey Captain Crunch,
You can relax a little, you don't say when the average of 5.9 is taken, but even if its taken immediately before a meal it is still OK- better than many of my readings. Type 2's have just 2 readings we need to monitor (until we know beforehand how a meal will affect our BG). A before a meal BG reading and (usually) 2hr after 1st bite reading.
The aim is to get the difference between before and after a meal down to 2.0 mmol or lower, and to try to avoid spike highs going above 8.0 mmol (or 7.8 mmol if being extra cautious).

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Captain Crunch,
You can relax a little, you don't say when the average of 5.9 is taken, but even if its taken immediately before a meal it is still OK- better than many of my readings. Type 2's have just 2 readings we need to monitor (until we know beforehand how a meal will affect our BG). A before a meal BG reading and (usually) 2hr after 1st bite reading.
The aim is to get the difference between before and after a meal down to 2.0 mmol or lower, and to try to avoid spike highs going above 8.0 mmol (or 7.8 mmol if being extra cautious).
My 5.9 figure comes from assorted readings both pre- and postprandial. I've rarely been above 5.9 but have started to creep into the 6's occasionally recently due to relaxing my previous zero-carbs regime a little. My levels seem to generally drop back down to the upper 4's/lower 5's 3-4 hours postprandial.