Possible prevention of 60% of potential T1 candidates from getting diabetes

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think I will be taking it with a pinch of salt - it seems that some of the researchers involved used to work for and 'may hold stock in' Novartis, who make the drug. The T cell clones they've used for some of their in vitro assays come from a coeliac patient, and so the results are slightly overinterpreted, it seems. The sample size from the in human trial is shockingly small - 20 people, and only 18 of them were actually on any significant dose, because the other two couldn't tolerate it. The prediction bit is interesting, but in the actual paper they aren't always very clear about their numbers. Also, they've done these studies in people who already have T1, rather than people who are yet to get it, so while there is hope that it may carry over, the headline is being a bit generous.

Fingers crossed though!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Haven't seen this before. It claims that it is possible to predict who will go on to type 1 diabetes with 100 percent accuracy. That's new to me too.

Yes, me too. Seems it definitely needs other labs to check their results! On the other hand, it might just be bad reporting/journalism.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Think I will be taking it with a pinch of salt - it seems that some of the researchers involved used to work for and 'may hold stock in' Novartis, who make the drug. The T cell clones they've used for some of their in vitro assays come from a coeliac patient, and so the results are slightly overinterpreted, it seems. The sample size from the in human trial is shockingly small - 20 people, and only 18 of them were actually on any significant dose, because the other two couldn't tolerate it. The prediction bit is interesting, but in the actual paper they aren't always very clear about their numbers. Also, they've done these studies in people who already have T1, rather than people who are yet to get it, so while there is hope that it may carry over, the headline is being a bit generous.

Fingers crossed though!

I didn’t know that, you’ve done a bit of research! Definitely needs a peer review or two then!

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
TrialNet diabetes study told my brother he has a near 100% change of developing T1D after finding certain antibodies in his system. He will find this interesting.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing that comes from this is that - basically they may find ways of stopping people from getting it, which is totally awesome, but they're never going to find a cure, so if you already have it, you're screwed for life.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If enough people succumb to it, then yes I do. When the management health costs to countries far exceed the monies spent on research (and they have) something's eventually gonna break. It'll happen .... advances are inevitable as they have been in many diseases.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember a TV programme some years ago where they had identical twin boys, one had become Type 1 and when his brother was medically checked they found he would become Type 1 also. They said there was nothing they could do to prevent it, it was just a matter of time.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Like I said, the finding of this group need to be replicated by others.
Then significant further testing needs to be done. Studies using non diagnosed, non T1 subjects will be required too once the procedure has been authorised for use in humans.
If the findings are indeed replicated then the next steps could all take some time!
Fingers crossed that it’s not snake oil!