Possibly a good idea or not you decide

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
Hi,
firstly sorry if this is old hat or even in the wrong part of the forum

as you can see from my profile picture I have a medical tattoo, brilliant, it's already been of use when I had a hypo while snorkeling. But I was thinking last night, this tells people I'm diabetic but what happens if they find me alone and unresponsive. What do people check first now? People's phones. So I changed my lock screen to the attached photo.

Now if this is old news then forgive me I've not seen anything like this before so I thought I'd share.

take care and keep strong.

my phone lock screen.jpg

Reactions: Struma and ringi

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
it's already been of use when I had a hypo while snorkeling.

It's a good question and I would never want to be negative about any idea that helps in emergencies. May I play the devils advocate and suggest that although the tattoo helped when you were snorkeling, would it have done so if you were skiing, or doing anything where your arms were covered in one or possibly more layers of clothing? Maybe a bracelet as well.

What do people check first now?

That's also a very good and interesting question. I don't know if First Aid training has changed (the official sort for work, for example) but if the course I did is anything to go by you'd respond to signs and not look for a phone. That may have changed obviously but if you were to hypo, knowing what drugs you were taking is not be what's required for the hypo and potentially, if you've been found by someone just trying to be helpful, rather than knowing what they were doing could be dangerous. I have heard of people trying to find insulin for type Is who were having a hypo.

Again, I suggest a bracelet as being a good place to store info about medication, the bracelet is possibly more evident, than what's on a phone or even a tattoo. As you rightly say, a good idea or not. Sums it up rather well.

I've only expressed an opinion, I may or may not be right. Maybe I just like bracelets. LOL Not much of a tattoo person myself, although I did threaten my wife that I was having an arrowhead tattoo at the top of my laparotomy scar, and the words "This way up".

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
Again, I suggest a bracelet as being a good place to store info about medication, the bracelet is possibly more evident, than what's on a phone or even a tattoo. As you rightly say, a good idea or not. Sums it up rather well.
I take everything you said as true, but, I'm living abroad and have a medical alert pendent. When I asked a couple of Doctors and medics out here, they had never heard of them. That's why I got the Tattoo. Also the medication is so that if I am taken to hospital they know what I am prescribed if i am unable to tell them myself.

Reactions: Struma

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No way would I ever take Actos, btw. And your Metformin plus combo drug is not time release. Wouldn't take that either

This medication is the stuff that has worked best for me, the other stuff didn't work that well, while with this dose I'm managing my levels really well.

Reactions: BeccyB

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here in the UK we have a system called I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency)

Medics are trained to look for ICE entries on mobile phones (in the contacts section). In mine, I have emergency contacts, health conditions and allergies listed. The details can be accessed without needing to unlock the phone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Case_of_Emergency

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's a good question and I would never want to be negative about any idea that helps in emergencies. May I play the devils advocate and suggest that although the tattoo helped when you were snorkeling, would it have done so if you were skiing, or doing anything where your arms were covered in one or possibly more layers of clothing? Maybe a bracelet as well.

That's also a very good and interesting question. I don't know if First Aid training has changed (the official sort for work, for example) but if the course I did is anything to go by you'd respond to signs and not look for a phone. That may have changed obviously but if you were to hypo, knowing what drugs you were taking is not be what's required for the hypo and potentially, if you've been found by someone just trying to be helpful, rather than knowing what they were doing could be dangerous. I have heard of people trying to find insulin for type Is who were having a hypo.

I've only expressed an opinion, I may or may not be right. Maybe I just like bracelets. LOL Not much of a tattoo person myself, although I did threaten my wife that I was having an arrowhead tattoo at the top of my laparotomy scar, and the words "This way up".

If your's unresponsive, keep you breathing, not choking on your own vomit, and wait for an ambulance.
If you're diabetic, give you something sweet, if you are capable of ingesting it, then the same.
After you've done the triage, then you have time to look at niceties like phones.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have my ICE number as the photo on my lock screen and I have my medical ID page (iPhone) available without unlocking my phone too. I wear an SOS talisman necklace as well. I think I've got all bases covered!

Reactions: ickihun

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey. I don't have anything at all.

I did have a medical alert bracelet when I was on chemo and carried the red card I was given.

As I am currently unmedicated for anything at all and have no known allergies I've never seen the point.

My phone home screen has icons to my immediate family in contacts. Is that enough?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have my ICE number as the photo on my lock screen and I have my medical ID page (iPhone) available without unlocking my phone too. I wear an SOS talisman necklace as well. I think I've got all bases covered!
I have ICE on my phone I also have a vital ID bracelet with insert. As I have more than one condition that could bring about a medical emergency any tattoo would have to cover most of my arm.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have ICE on my phone I also have a vital ID bracelet with insert. As I have more than one condition that could bring about a medical emergency any tattoo would have to cover most of my arm.
That's why I got an SOS Talisman, I have too much info. for one tattoo! I have all my various medical conditions, allergies, medications, blood group and NOK, all in one place on the insert.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like the idea of having information on my phone's lock screen - I hadn't ever thought of that! That said, I rarely use my phone (for anything!) as it's on its last legs and I live and work in a reception dead zone.

I've had a Medic Alert bracelet since my teens, and someone who used to be special very generously 'upgraded' it to a sterling silver one for me. I don't ever take it off, and am really really pleased with it.

Every year they write to me to remind me to update my information, although if I have any changes to my personal details or medication I can contact them whenever I like to update it. Anyone finding me in a state can phone the number on the tag and be provided with my emergency contact details and list of conditions and medication. And the tag itself is engraved with 'INSULIN DEPENDENT DIABETES' (I'm showing my age there - this was all before the 'type 1' and 'type 2' nomenclature).

:)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have anything, except I have my phone with me almost all of the time, especially since I use it to read my Libre. I keep it unlocked, so I guess they'll just have to call someone random in my phone to ask about me. On second thoughts, I mostly leave my phone in the car when shopping. So maybe I'm just a bit stupid and stubborn.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I do have other tattoos, so I am not against them, but for me, a medical tattoo would have been a mistake, considering I am awaiting an SPK and therefore the replacement Pancreas is expected (although not guaranteed) to remove the diabetes, at least for a period of time. Diabetes isn't actually necessarily for life.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
And the tag itself is engraved with 'INSULIN DEPENDENT DIABETES' (I'm showing my age there - this was all before the 'type 1' and 'type 2' nomenclature).
:)

Much more useful to a emergency doctor then knowing if someone is Type1 or Type2.

PS, I was told by a paramedic that you always gives sugar to someone with diabetes who is unwell, as they are going to hospital anyway, and having a very low BG may kill them on the way, but a very high BG is unlikely to kill them in the time it takes to get them to hospital. (The was before paramedics had BG meters.)

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Great idea. Tx for sharing. I have a dog tag but this makes loads of sense.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I have nothing.

If I were found unresponsive, I would rather someone called an ambulance and thereafter monitored my breathing and pulse. I'd rather not have a stranger in the street decide what "treatment" I might need. I'd far rather the emergency services did that.

As I understand it, if someone makes a 999 call, they will be talked through what their actions should be, in the immediacy, by the call handler. Thankfully, thus far, I have never been on either end of that situation, so can't talk from personal experience. I don't take any medications.

Fingers crossed it's not a bridge you have to cross yourself, @simonr1

Reactions: Struma

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Call handlers have basic first aid training.
And without eyes on the situation, they are reliant on the public giving them an accurate report of the incident.
So the normal advice is to leave well alone, unless there is no pulse, difficulty breathing, or copious amounts of blood still pumping out, in case they make the casualty worse.

And my phone is locked, with no ICE, I can't see it being that helpful to me.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have ICE on my phone and a card in my purse (in the clear bit where you put a bus pass or whatever) - the card has got ICE in big red letters then, on the reverse side gives emergency contact, what ailments I've got, what meds I'm on - and what to do in case of a hypo. *Touch wood* I've never needed it but - as the saying goes - better safe than sorry.