Possibly the worst question ever....

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all

Yet another diabetic dilemma. Was diagnosed type2 7th Feb 2017 ( not a day I will forget). Told to take metformin 2 500mg twice a day and left to get on with it. Have gone Lchf and lost 1 and 1/2 stone. The problem I am having is the need ( to put it politely) to pee all the time. I go to the loo and by time back downstairs need to go again, it started out funny but is becoming distressing for me ( previously did Ben Nevis, to the top and back without needing to go).

Is this normal and if so how do you cope,

Sorry all for the sensitive nature of topic . Got to go - need to pee

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably a good idea to see your doctor again. If the peeing situation is as bad as you're describing, you may have diabetes insipidus.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello indy51. Sorry for being dim but what is diabetes insipid us. Am back for my first blood test the 12th May and diabetic nurse 22nd may.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are your blood sugar results? are you testing?

Diabetes insipidus is a rare condition where you produce a large amount of urine and often feel thirsty. from NHS website

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Have gone Lchf and lost 1 and 1/2 stone.

I can't offer medical advice but when something like that happens to me I start to look at what's changed, in your case, you're eating lower amounts of carb and Google says this about low carb side effects "Frequent Urination. After the first day or so, you'll notice that you are in the bathroom urinating more often. Your body is burning up the extra glycogen (stored glucose) in your liver and muscles. ... As your carb intake and glycogen stores drop, your kidneys will start dumping this excess water."

So, hopefully something that will improve but worth a visit to GP if you are concerned.

Diabetes Insipidus is a rare form of diabetes where you pee a lot but would also feel very very thirsty.

Personally, I also take meds for BP that play havoc with the bladder but I'm told it's better than high BP and I think they're right. BP this morning 130/75 so not so bad.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you @Engineer88 , have just looked this up on nnhs website too. Not been testing as told not too, so awaiting my blood test on the 12th. I know not ideal but trying my best.....

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe you have a urinary tract infection. I didn't have symptoms other than needing to go just after I'd been to the toilet.

Reactions: azure

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be any number of reasons, some of them described above. It could even be high blood sugars, but you won't know this if you don't test. (In fact you won't have a clue how well you are doing either)

Many years ago I had a similar problem. My GP told me to try and train my bladder to empty less often by waiting 5 minutes and holding it in. Then gradually increasing this to 10 minutes and so on. Apparently the bladder gets used to this and starts to behave better. That worked for me, although it isn't wise to hold it in for too long.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have always had good bladder control and am making myself wait between trips to the loo, honestly thought this was something diabetics put up with. Have so much more to learn, but will get there.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@hca please pop to a chemist (Lloyds do testing I know, most will) and get bg tested. Ignore drs advice and get yourself a meter.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @Engineer88 , have just looked this up on nnhs website too. Not been testing as told not too, so awaiting my blood test on the 12th. I know not ideal but trying my best.....

If you're not testing then your blood sugar may be high and that could be causing the frequent toilet visits.

If it's concerning you, then a meter may be a good idea. If it's not connected to your blood sugar, then I'd mention it to your GP so that you can get a check over. If nothing else, it will give you peace of mind.