Post food hangovers

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Now I’ve gone very very very low carb (less than 20g) I find that if I go out for a meal and cheat I feel like I’ve been out drinking for hours and hours the next morning.

last night went for xmas meal.

had meatballs in sauce so yes not perfect but given rest of choices and that we were sharing it was only one.

roast turkey, it had gravy but not much, stuffing but only a slither, roast souds but they were tiny and well maybe one potato not even a big one they were more like new potato size and about 4 (not very nice either they were like bullets) a few teeny carrots.

the next one was warm chocolate pudding with ice cream so well. Enough said but it was delicious so worth every penny of the nastiness today
Oh and some Pringles when I got home (no idea why think I’d just set off the carb button and couldn’t stop) they got thrown in bin this morning.

but it seems if I do go out fir a meal and cheat I feel rotten the next day. I’m expecting to be hungrier and need some low carb reset and maybe low carving would be slightly harder the next day.
But it’s the hangover. I only drank water.
Do other people experience this? I can imagine being off the wagon for a few days might cause this but one meal (albeit a bad pudding and bad whatever the Pringles were) it’s only one meal.
I’m getting tad worried

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup.
I've experienced the 'food hangover' multiple times.
Always self inflicted.

Eventually, I realise that I would rather avoid the things that cause it, than suffer the consequences.
And then eventually I forget and indulge again...
And then I relearn the lesson...

Reactions: jjraak

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you have any alcohol with your meal, I find I can drink less than I could before I went low carb. Maybe what you have is a real hangover?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Yup.
I've experienced the 'food hangover' multiple times.
Always self inflicted.

Eventually, I realise that I would rather avoid the things that cause it, than suffer the consequences.
And then eventually I forget and indulge again...
And then I relearn the lesson...

Phew. At least it’s not just me albeit it’s still annoying and if I let it sets me off on a I hate diabetes nonsense.

I wouldn’t mind if it’s a phew days but one blooming meal and pringles. Really don’t feel I deserve it.
God knows how I’m going to cope at xmas. I’ll just be Ill everyday lol!

work off a bit now but don’t feel wonderful.

I can avoid everything that my body hates most of the time but it’s xmas and I’m going out more and whatnot. (See I’m off on my anti diabetes so I’ll stop)

I’ll just have to resign myself to the fact that I either feel rubbish because I’m different and eat different or feel rubbish because I’ve joined in!

off to Turkish restaurant on Tuesday so hopefully I can get through that one

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I should start by saying that I have never had a diagnosis of diabetes, but have eaten low carb for over six years to support James. From time to time, when we are out, on holiday for example, I will be tempted by cake or a pudding. About half an hour later, I quite frequently (but not always) hit a wall of tiredness. Another half hour and I'm back to normal. I assume that my body doesn't keep a cake size ready supply of insulin, ready go, so it takes a while to sort things out. Perhaps I'm just experiencing a smaller version of what the OP gets. Any thoughts?
Sally

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I should start by saying that I have never had a diagnosis of diabetes, but have eaten low carb for over six years to support James. From time to time, when we are out, on holiday for example, I will be tempted by cake or a pudding. About half an hour later, I quite frequently (but not always) hit a wall of tiredness. Another half hour and I'm back to normal. I assume that my body doesn't keep a cake size ready supply of insulin, ready go, so it takes a while to sort things out. Perhaps I'm just experiencing a smaller version of what the OP gets. Any thoughts?
Sally
When my sugars spike because I eat something bad I get exhausted. I get dry mouth and feel quite rotten. Strangely sometimes I can feel it peak and break (almost like a fever) and I can feel it lessen and start to go down.
But even now if they don’t go really high I get exhausted if they rise.

M

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Sally
Otherwise no I dint think so. Mine is the morning after. I feel like I’ve had several bottles of wine!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pringles have always given me food hangovers, and I don’t think it is the carb content.
Have a look at the ingredient list.
They are an ultimate form of processed frankenfood, full of stuff that might once have been nourishing, but have been processed, dehydrated, broken down, extracted, and test tubed til it is no wonder that my (and your) body treats it like a toxin (alcohol is a toxin too) and results in hangover symptoms.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/296734888
Dehydrated Potatoes, Vegetable Oils (Sunflower, Corn), Rice Flour, Wheat Starch, Corn Flour, Sour Cream & Onion Seasoning (Onion Powder, Dextrose, Sugar, Sweet Whey Powder {Milk}, Sour Cream Powder {Milk}, Flavourings {Milk}, Glucose Syrup, Potato Starch, Lactose {Milk}, Milk Proteins, Acids {Citric Acid, Lactic Acid, Malic Acid}, Yeast Extract), Emulsifier (E471), Maltodextrin, Salt, Colour (Annatto)

Reactions: jjraak

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Pringles have always given me food hangovers, and I don’t think it is the carb content.
Have a look at the ingredient list.
They are an ultimate form of processed frankenfood, full of stuff that might once have been nourishing, but have been processed, dehydrated, broken down, extracted, and test tubed til it is no wonder that my (and your) body treats it like a toxin (alcohol is a toxin too) and results in hangover symptoms.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/296734888
Dehydrated Potatoes, Vegetable Oils (Sunflower, Corn), Rice Flour, Wheat Starch, Corn Flour, Sour Cream & Onion Seasoning (Onion Powder, Dextrose, Sugar, Sweet Whey Powder {Milk}, Sour Cream Powder {Milk}, Flavourings {Milk}, Glucose Syrup, Potato Starch, Lactose {Milk}, Milk Proteins, Acids {Citric Acid, Lactic Acid, Malic Acid}, Yeast Extract), Emulsifier (E471), Maltodextrin, Salt, Colour (Annatto)
Eugh. Yes that doesn’t surprise me.
Why oh why are they so blooming tasty!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Eugh. Yes that doesn’t surprise me.
Why oh why are they so blooming tasty!
The food scientists are expert at combining these types of ingredients.

I sincerely hope over the next year "we" (humans) see this in the same way Jamie Oliver exposed Turkey Twislers; I used to eat Pringles and similar...if only I knew what I know now back then. Should this even be classified as food.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
can sympathies re hangover, but i do only get the 'crash' once i've eaten poorly a few hours after.
so the next days hangover..sympathies..sounds unpleasant...:hungover:

However, in my little world i do know i used to see in a very cartoony way supermarkets FULL of juicy tempting food stuffs..:happy:

now i see them as factory outlet for the chemical company laboratories that experiment and dream up these 'new flavours' for so many different types of 'FOOD' :rolleyes:

add in the DISNEY aisles, where they trap mums to feed their kids the very foods that will contribute to a life long deterioration of their bodies, all dressed up in sparkles and glitter as 'CEREAL' ...an essential start to any young Uns hopes of an early diagnosis of obesity or diabetes.

And the ONLY REAL food is located at the store fronts and sides...aka the MEAT and VEG sections.

hard for so many caterers/restaurant industry to balance waste costs v what most people want, after what has become so normal...sadly

Tough if you have to eat out as part of work..though i do think the world is very slowly catching on to a new food type..
(albeit millions of years old..but Meh :rolleyes:..better late then never..:D )

mouseee

Hubby's work do tonight.
Chicken goujons.. had 2, gave the rest away.
Steak and ale pie with roast potatoes.
Christmas pudding - he had chocolate fudge cake.

I ate far more than I have In months and my body's already complaining!
I ate the filling from the pie and a bit of pastry. Gave away 2 of my 3 roasties- what's weird is how I didn't want more than the one potato and the thought of eating all that pastry was horrible, I enjoyed the bit I had though. Tastes have changed I guessed. I was far more in control of my savoury food... still need to work on the sweet stuff. I avoid it but once I start...

I did have a couple of spoons of husbands cake and ate all of my Christmas pud. It was delicious and probably the only one I'll eat. Rest of the family don't like it so we don't buy it except for me and that's changed this year.

I felt like I needed a pint of water when I'd eaten, a bit like after drinking! No idea how I'll feel tomorrow. Latest bs was 15.... highest for weeks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@woollygal - I'm sure I have bleated on about our bodies liking routines in the past.

When we're first diagnosed, our bodies fight had, by making contributions from our liver, to keep our blood glucose in the then (not necessarily healthy) comfort zones.

Our bodies also sort of predict what we're going to be eating eating today, based on yesterday or a few days before, so it can be prepared to produce the insulin and all the other digestive hormones and enzymes we need to digest and metabolise our food.

If we then go and give it all a big side-swipe by having a really left-field meal, it's not quite ready for it, and struggles to be efficient.

I always like it to the times of my childhood when treats were far less usual than they are today, and the adults spending the post-Christmas dinner time having a snooze. Of course, those grown ups may have had a sherry or even wine with their meal, when usually they wouldn't have, but I hope you get the drift.

You (I think it was you ) comment somewhere that you dread to think what it would be like if you did it again. In reality, it could go two ways, be worse, or marginally better, because your system had already been "stimulated" by "yesterday"'s efforts.

I'm not making any judgement on how to cope with it all, as we all need to do that for ourselves, but this time of year is almost legendary for the "just one won't hurt" leading to "I've really been off the wagon" in a few weeks time.

However you decide to go, enjoy it.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Phew. At least it’s not just me albeit it’s still annoying and if I let it sets me off on a I hate diabetes nonsense.

I wouldn’t mind if it’s a phew days but one blooming meal and pringles. Really don’t feel I deserve it.
God knows how I’m going to cope at xmas. I’ll just be Ill everyday lol!

work off a bit now but don’t feel wonderful.

I can avoid everything that my body hates most of the time but it’s xmas and I’m going out more and whatnot. (See I’m off on my anti diabetes so I’ll stop)

I’ll just have to resign myself to the fact that I either feel rubbish because I’m different and eat different or feel rubbish because I’ve joined in!

off to Turkish restaurant on Tuesday so hopefully I can get through that one

Woollygal, don't be too hard on yourself, I reckon MOST people eating pringles et al would feel the same afterwards! I would look at it like your body has become efficient at recognising 'toxins' because it is used to clean living so when it recognises something it doesn't like, it makes you pay for it. I think that's a good thing, like a body rejecting 'poison' to keep you well or fighting off a virus, you feel rubbish whilst it's doing it but you feel better afterwards. x

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See it all the time on low carb and keto groups. It’s almost more unusual not to feel awful after eating rubbish.
Totally agree with @KK123 above.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Apparently it was t necessarily food hangover.
Pretty certain I’m coming down with the lurgy. Chest was really tight this morning and throughout the day throat and neck are aching and feel really thick and gloopy. Ran into tesco to stock up in cold stuff then suddenly realised I can’t use what I normally would (bucket loads of Hal’s soothers in the car). Absolutely detest them but bought fisher man friends. Am sure I read on here once they were doable. Disgusting but it’s better than nothing.
On top if that’s it’s time of month. Body is t content with throwing one thing at me apparently!

for the tips, fir the past few weeks I’ve had at least one meal out and not been perfect. In between I’ve been pretty much spot on apart from a couple of bad moments. So I was surprised that that meal had such effect given the others gave me bit of jip but more the second day after when carb flu hit me again.

but obviously the lurgy