Post pregnancy type 1

HammyBammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello! Bit of a long post!
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in September 2016, shortly afterwards I fell pregnant with my son. I had to really get a grasp quickly with the whole diabetes thing and get my blood sugars in control for the sake of my baby. Thankfully I did and there were no major problems, he was 3 weeks early via c section and is a happy healthy 6 month old baba.
When I was pregnant I really did the whole eating for 2 thing (well more like 10) I pilled on 4.5 stone . I adjusted my insulin and Lantas accordingly throughout my pregnancy but now 6 months on after he was born I feel blood sugars/insulin dose are all over the place! I’ve started doing low carb to lose the weight but have went hypo twice today. I’ve not taken much novorapid with my meals as they have all been really low carb so could it be my Lantus dose? Or I remember them saying at the hospital when I was diagnosed that I could get a honeymoon period with my sugars?
I’ve also not a post pregnancy diabetes check up which I thought I would? I tried leaving a message with one of the nurses and she didn’t call back so I’m unsure I’m even calling the right person!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Was it a hospital nurse or GP nurse you were trying to phone?

Have you done a DAFNE course?

Generally if you are lowering carbs, it can also mean that you need to lower basal as well...
Ie if you were on (just as an example) 20 bolus and 20 basal... it would be working out that you were working on a 50/50 ratio.. if you suddenly drop carbs and then only have 20 basal and 5 bolus then your ratio that may have worked ok in pregnacy for example is all out of sync. It also depends on whether you were snacking previously or whether you may have had things like pizza or takeaways that would also be affecting your basal rates previously..

Going low carb is ok... but I would suggest that you 1) ensure you are carb counting correctly, and 2) do some basal testing.

Are you going low 2-3 hours after eating? If you are it is more probable that is your bolus/carb counting. As a general timing only.. at other times it could be better advised to look at your basal.

Best thing as well is to try and leave 5 hours between food and to see how much your levels change up or down 2 hrs after eating.(eat though if your leveks are dropping....
You should be back to your target level at 4-5 hours after eating...