Post Your Recipes Here!

jaykay

Brazilian Chicken

Don't know if anyone else thinks like this but I find it a lot easier to not worry about carbs if I'm eating something really tasty ( i.e. not bland). I had this recently and found it really yum. It has 8g carbs per portion.

Ingredients (for 6 people)
2 onions
1 red chilli
1 inch piece root ginger
2 garlic cloves

400g tin chopped tomatoes
400g tin coconut milk
6 chicken breasts

Peel and roughly chop the first 4 ingredients ( de-seed the chilli if you don't want flame thrower breath :) ) and chuck them into a food processor to make a paste.
Meanwhile in a pan with a lid, lightly brown the chicken in a little oil. Take out and put to one side, then fry the paste in the same pan for about 10 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Put the chicken back in, turn down to a bare simmer and put the lid on. Cook gently for 15 minutes until chicken is basically cooked, then add in the coconut milk, cooking for another 5 minutes. You can garnish with chopped coriander if you like.
I serve this with grated courgette flash fried in a little butter for a few minutes and rice for everybody else. Hope you like!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Recipes.

Hazelnut & Raspberry Roulade

5 - 6 egg whites
1cup sweetener of your choice (I use Splenda granulated)
90g of ground hazelnuts
2 teaspns of corn flour – (this can be missed out for very low carbers but it’s a small amount in large meringue and really does help the texture)
1teaspn vanilla extract
1teaspn of vinegar

Filling
½ pint of whipped cream
Punnet of raspberries

Preheat oven to 160 deg C

Whisk egg white until very stiff and then slowly add the sweetener whisking all the time, your mix should look like marshmallow now

Then add the vanilla extract, vinegar and corn flour and whisk in

Fold in the ground hazelnuts – you can also add a few chopped hazelnuts if you like more texture

Pour into a swiss roll tin that is lined with greased baking parchment, spread it out gently with a pallete knife

Bake in the oven for about 30 – 40 min – keep a eye on it should be set and golden in colour

Turn it out up side down onto a big piece of baking parchment and GENTLY peel of the paper from bottom (now the top)

Let it completely cool then spread with the whipped cream and raspberries

Using the baking parchment to help you, gently roll it up to make a swiss roll – it will crack but that’s part of it so don’t worry

Transfer to a plate (this is the hardest bit :lol: )and decorate with more raspberries sprigs of mint.

angiesansom

These are the recipes I have been using for my partner who has type 2 diabetes. He has lost weight as most of the recipes are low carbs. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0053GCTKK

OATMEAL - FRUIT COOKIES

1 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. water
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. chopped, pitted dates
1/2 c. chopped, peeled apple
1/2 c. oleo or butter
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. chopped walnuts

Sift or mix together flour, baking soda and cinnamon; set aside. In 2
quart saucepan over medium high heat bring water, dates, apple and
raisins to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 3 minutes. Remove from
heat. Add oleo; stir until melted. Pour into large bowl; cool slightly.
Add beaten eggs and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients, oats and nuts.
Cover and refrigerate overnight. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls, 2
inches apart, on greased baking sheet. Bake in 350 degree oven for
12 to 14 minutes. Remove from baking sheet. Cool on racks. Store in
refrigerator in airtight container. Makes about 40 cookies.

This is not my own recipe. I got it from http://www.diabetesdiet-cookbook.com. The recipe is simple and my family enjoyed having them.

Mikey

oldbird747

My partner is a diabetic and I love cooking and photography so I combined all three and made a book for kindle users
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0053GCTKK

He loves the recipes in the book, they are low in carbs and really good for a healthy lifestyle. I love sharing recipes so this forum is going to be so useful.

Reactions: 3 people

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heinz Faux Cream of Chicken

I can't replicate their tomato (well, I can, but I can't eat it) so I tried their cream of chicken. A huge success and so simple, I doubt you'll think it works.

In a saucepan put a goodly knob of butter and sweat a chopped onion in it. Add to that about a pint and a half of a stock of your choice and bung in some cooked chicken. I picked over the remnants of a roast chicken and bunged that in (about a big handful). I added a bit of seasoning, heated it all up, blended it and stirred in some cream.

Lush.

wiflib

Mileana

Fish dish in oven.

200-300 g (.5 lb) of white fish (Avoid cod for this, try ling, pollack or the like) use filet, remove bones (normally around the centre of a ling)
200-300 g (.5 lb) of fresh salmon
1 red pepperfruit
2 green pepperfruit
a bundle (5-7) spring onions
4 carrots
1 root parsley
8 or so thin slices of a lemon, with peel (organic as otherwise the peel will have pesticides)
a cup of white wine, or similar amount of water with the rest of the lemon juice.
a cup of coffee cream (about 9 percent fat)

Salt, pepper

Place the fish in portion sizes in a baking dish so they cover the bottom. Season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon slices on top, then the vegetables in about 1 inch bites. Add the wine (water) and cream, and place in a pre-heated oven (200 C) for 30-40 minutes. Make sure the veggies are ocvered (lid, foil or by the liquid). Check the fish - if it is opaque when you split a piece with a fork, it's done. Any sort of jelly-like texture, and it's not.

I like eating it on top of a heap of spinach. Or you may want to serve it with rice in which case you can add a couple handfuls of chopped (frozen) spinach to the rice for the last 4 minutes of cooking time.

Should serve 4.

-M

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

As requested by WhitbyJet heres my recipe from another thread.

Siam On Fire - Thai Chilli Prawns with Salad and a Minty Coriander Dip
(Can substitute Chicken or thinly sliced Pork for the prawns)

Serves four.

1kg of raw prawns
2 tbsp sunflower oil
3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped or Twisted. Garlic Twist = http://www.garlictwist.com/
25g Ginger, peeled and finely chopped. Also use the garlic twist for ginger :thumbup:
2 tbsp Thia Fish Sauce
2 tsp light brown sugar - can use Splenda etc if bothered
1 Fresh Kaffir Lime Leaf, finely chopped - Sainsburys sell these
4 Medium Hot Red Chillies seeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp roasted salted peanuts, finely chopped or crushed
1 Lemon Grass Stalk finely chopped
1 tbsp Coconut cream
Pinch of salt, if required
Large Handful of Basil Leaves - should be Thai basil if you can find it, has a lemony smell, I found one in Tesco in a window pot
1 Lime, cut into 4

Dip
1 tub of Greek yoghurt
1 tsp Mint Sauce
Small amount of Coriander leaves, chopped finely.

For dip just put a tsp of mint sauce in a small bowl or ramekin empty the tub of yoghurt over the top and stir in the coriander leaves, place in the fridge whilst preparing the rest of the meal. I use this same dip with curries goes well with onion bhaji, chicken tikka or a popadom :D

Salad
1 crisp Lettuce, outer leaves removed broken into small pieces
6 Spring Onions, halved and finely shredded
Handful of Coriander sprigs.

For salad mix together lettuce, spring onions and coriander sprigs and divide between 4 plates

Then:
Peel the prawns, heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add the ginger and garlic and fry for a few seconds. Add the fish sauce, sugar,lime leaf, chillies, lemon grass and prawns and stir fry for another minute until the prawns are cooked through (turn pink). Add peanuts, coconut cream and salt to taste, stir for a few seconds until prawns are lightly coated then add the basil leaves and toss together briefly.

Scatter prawns and sauce over salad add a lime quarter and serve with the dip.

Reactions: 2 people

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV

Italian yoghurt cake with stewed apple (made with coconut flour) Serve hot with cream for pudding or with a cup of tea for an afternoon treat. Coconut flour does not spike my Blood Sugars like ordinary flour but everyone is different so test.

Just made this and it has worked really well I adapted it from a recipe for basic italian yoghurt cake. It is relatively low carb as coconut flour is less carby than ordinary flour although it is not for the really strict low carber I believe it has about 65grams per 3/4 cup plus 20 grams for the apples and then the ground almonds etc so lets say 100 to 110grams carb for the whole pudding, (for a cup use a normal sized tea cup) makes eight slices in a normal silicone sponge cake mould so I estimate 13 to 15 grams carbohydrate per slice
3/4 cup coconut flour
4 eggs
1 cup stewed apple (take 2 apples whatever kind you like eating or cooking - i used pink lady eating apples they are naturally sweet and need no added sugar, peel and cut into small slices, stew in a saucepan with 2 tbs water (add sweetener if needed) until softened but not mushed)
1/2 cup plain yoghurt (I used greek)
1/4 cup butter
2 tbs sweetener (i used splenda)
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbs ground almonds.

butter an ordinary slized cake mould silicone or tin (I used silicone nothing sticks)
mix with electric mixer eggs, softened butter, splenda and yoghurt until a smooth batter
then put dry ingredients in another bowl -mix baking soda and cocunut flour together, then add the batter mix to it and mix thoroughly until a smooth consistency is achieved (if you do not mix enough you can see lumps of dry coconut flour in the mixture - you do not want those). Mix in cooked apple and fold in 2 tbs ground almonds. put into buttered cake tin and flatten with knife (the peaks will brown too much if you leave them so flatten out in tin) Cook at 180 degrees C in fan oven 30 mins or 350 degrees F for 35 minutes in gas oven or until knife comes out clean. Please note it does not rise much.
I really enjoyed this I hope you do too

hugsee

Dislikes
cheese

Comforting Winter Stew

When it’s cold and seasons are changin, there are few things as comforting as a hearty stew . Stew is a great immune boosting, easy meal that can be cooked in bulk and used throughout the week. This recipe is low in carbs and high in veggies !! Add vegetables that are seasonal in your area and adjust seasoning and herbs to taste.

Average Serving of 400g – 30g Carbs

Ingredients

2 medium onions
4 stalks celery
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb lean stewing beef
2 cloves garlic (optional)
3 cups water
1 cup peeled diced turnip
1 medium carrot
1 medium potato
1 cup cleaned mushrooms
1 can stewed tomatoes
salt to taste
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Directions:

Peel and cut all vegetables into similar sizes.
Peel and mince the garlic.
Sauté the onions and celery until softened in the olive oil and set aside.
Add the beef or lamb to the frying pan and cook until browned, stir in the garlic; then add the onions and celery.
Add the water or broth to the stewing meat pot.
Add all remaining veggies to the pot, then add the tomatoes and the spices.
Add cinammon and cayenne pepper to increase insulin sensitivity.
Simmer the stew until the meat is done and the vegetables are tender – usually about 30 mins.
Serve with wholegrain bread for a delicious autumn treat !

hugsee

Dislikes
cheese

Sweet Potato
Bread
This bread recipe is good for both the body and the soul. Enjoy!

Ingredients
8 oz mashed Sweet Potato, without skin
2 scoops Vanilla Whey
1 cup Oat Bran
2 Egg Whites
2 tbsp Milk
1/4 cup chopped Walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup Splenda
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with olive oil Pam.
Mix whey and oat bran into medium bowl.
Beat splenda, eggs and vanilla to blend in large bowl. Mix in sweet potato. Add dry ingredients and walnuts and stir well.
Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
Cool bread in pan on rack 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size (8)
Amount per serving Calories 89 Total Fat 1g Total Carb 14g Protein 8g

Assegai

Hi All,

I've heard this filthy rumour doing the rounds of a "Reasonably" healthy fruit cake recipe from Viv, How would I go about getting my grubby hands on it? :lol:

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes

Try putting Christmas Cake in the search box.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Ive just started my cooking blog. I will try to put some receipes regularly and i guess it can help some of us here

http://diabeticgoodcooking.blogspot.co.uk/

sallyjoseph

I love irani saffron kheer and i have a recipe of that.
way to make keer:
Milk 1/2 kg
Saffron 1 pinch
Sugar 1/2 cup
Kewra essence few drops
Small cardamom crushed 1/2
tsp
Corn flour 2 to 3 tbsp
Almond for garnish
Recipe Method
In a pan add ½ litre milk and ½ cup sugar to boil. When sugar
dissolve add ½ tsp crushed small cardamom and few drops of
kewra essence to mix. Then add 2 to 3 tbsp corn flour to mix and
cook till it become thick.
Now dish it out and garnish it with almond and saffron to serve.