Postprandial changes

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all

Something weird has happened - I used to have a postprandial spike / highest point 1.5 hrs after eating my first bite, now it's a minimum 2 hrs , why is this? Doesn't seem to matter what I have eaten, the highest point is still 2 hours later. Is this a "thing" or just one of life's mysteries?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on a CGM? How often do you test?

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on a CGM? How often do you test?

On a what what what? :wacky: I take no meds/insulin, I just watch my carbs (most of the time) and test before and after unfamiliar /new foods and occasionally after known ones to see if anything changes :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if it is a symptom of improving metabolism - that you are dealing with the first products of digestion now, rather than there being an immediate ramping up of levels.

Reactions: VioletViolet

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
On a what what what? :wacky: I take no meds/insulin, I just watch my carbs (most of the time) and test before and after unfamiliar /new foods and occasionally after known ones to see if anything changes :)
I mean, to notice a difference of 30 minutes in the highest point of your spike you must be testing multiple times after eating in the first 3 hours, and have done so regularly to notice a trend.
As this is unusual (but definitely possible) I was wondering how you know your highest point is now usually 30 minutes later than before.

Edit: A CGM is a continuous glucose monitor. Very nice. (very expensive too) You stick it to your arm, butt or belly and it tells you what your numbers are on your smartphone or a special scanning thing. Some even have alarms.
It's usually people who are new to CGM who ask your kind of question as they suddenly see what their bg is doing at any time.

Last edited:

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I mean, to notice a difference of 30 minutes in the highest point of your spike you must be testing multiple times after eating in the first 3 hours, and have done so regularly to notice a trend.
As this is unusual (but definitely possible) I was wondering how you know your highest point is now usually 30 minutes later than before.

Edit: A CGM is a continuous glucose monitor. Very nice. (very expensive too) You stick it to your arm, butt or belly and it tells you what your numbers are on your smartphone or a special scanning thing. Some even have alarms.
It's usually people who are new to CGM who ask your kind of question as they suddenly see what their bg is doing at any time.
Oh OK , I first noticed because I had something high carb and after 90 minutes I tested and was pleased and surprised to see 6.9 reading. So surprised I took it again half an hr later and it was 10.5 . I tried after other meals/food and the same thing was happening. Strange.

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if it is a symptom of improving metabolism - that you are dealing with the first products of digestion now, rather than there being an immediate ramping up of levels.
Thanks , yes could be. Glad I noticed or I could have become smug about how many carbs I can safely eat .

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What was your pre prandial reading? Im sorry but I would not be feeling smug under any circumstances with a reading of 10.5.

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What was your pre prandial reading? Im sorry but I would not be feeling smug under any circumstances with a reading of 10.5.
Me neither! I meant I would have felt smug if 6.9 had been the highest reading after what I ate. Not smug at 10+

Am merely curious why it now takes 2 hrs to get peak highest not 90 mins .

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Me neither! I meant I would have felt smug if 6.9 had been the highest reading after what I ate. Not smug at 10+

Am merely curious why it now takes 2 hrs to get peak highest not 90 mins .
Depends on what you eat, really. Liquid carbs are going to hit faster.

M

Member496333

It’s possible that you are misinterpreting what is happening. The type of carbs and what they’re consumed with, along with any number of other factors will affect your glucose response to a meal. Insulin resistance is also a spectrum, not a switch, so yeah it’s definitely possible - indeed likely - that it is varying in any direction, but even a swing in the right direction won’t give you the green light to get back on the carbs unless you want the pendulum to quickly swing back the other way again.

The mechanism which brought about your prediabetes has not changed. You may be able to manage it from one meal to the next, but it’s unlikely you’ll ever be smug about how many carbs you can ingest. Even if you got your glucose control to resemble that of a metabolic gold medalist, eating the same foods that you used to will put you back where you are now in not much time at all. It was ingesting inappropriate carbohydrate that got you where you are and it can happen again.

Just a friendly warning. You are of course free to manage your condition as you wish :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So, what was your pre prandial reading before you got the 10.5?

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s possible that you are misinterpreting what is happening. The type of carbs and what they’re consumed with, along with any number of other factors will affect your glucose response to a meal. Insulin resistance is also a spectrum, not a switch, so yeah it’s definitely possible - indeed likely - that it is varying in any direction, but even a swing in the right direction won’t give you the green light to get back on the carbs unless you want the pendulum to quickly swing back the other way again.

The mechanism which brought about your prediabetes has not changed. You may be able to manage it from one meal to the next, but it’s unlikely you’ll ever be smug about how many carbs you can ingest. Even if you got your glucose control to resemble that of a metabolic gold medalist, eating the same foods that you used to will put you back where you are now in not much time at all. It was ingesting inappropriate carbohydrate that got you where you are and it can happen again.

Just a friendly warning. You are of course free to manage your condition as you wish :)
Noted with thanks - I'm not well in other ways at moment and turning to comfort foods of old. That's not the way.

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and thanks , your reply is an eye opener for me I am prediabetic with hba1c 28 since my last ogtt I am not extra cautious about my food choices as my results were good but whatever you said here is nothing but truth and I am determined again for a healthy diet

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and thanks , your reply is an eye opener for me I am prediabetic with hba1c 28 since my last ogtt I am not extra cautious about my food choices as my results were good but whatever you said here is nothing but truth and I am determined again for a healthy diet
Me too There's some kind folk on here who have the knack of saying just the right thing at the right time. Jim is one of them!

Reactions: hazelzac

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your HbA1c is 28 mmol/m then there's no way on earth you are pre diabetic.. thats on the low end of "normal"

I wish so , but in my post pregnancy ogtt my 2 hour postprandial glucose was high (8.7)at that time my hbs1c was 32 than I lost almost 10 kgs thru keto diet and than i started taking carbs in moderation after 6 months my post 2 hour was 8.4 and hba1c was 28

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Wow. Wierd numbers.

Your 1c is below mine and I haven't seen a 7 in a long time. If I get near 6.5 after eating I wonder whats up.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish so , but in my post pregnancy ogtt my 2 hour postprandial glucose was high (8.7)at that time my hbs1c was 32 than I lost almost 10 kgs thru keto diet and than i started taking carbs in moderation after 6 months my post 2 hour was 8.4 and hba1c was 28
So you have had an OGTT recently and still got high numbers?
Do you measure your blood glucose at home?
I'd love to know your numbers in more detail..i'm usually sub 6 at all times usually sub 5 and my HbA1c of 27 mmol/m reflects that..

Reactions: hazelzac