Potatoes And Ramen Noodles

LeeLeeLeeLee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. This is my first post here and I'd like to pose a question regarding Ramen Noodles And Potatoes.

Are they good for a diabetic to eat? I've seen arguments about potatoes not being very good for diabetics, but to the best of my knowledge I can't find information regarding Ramen Noodles.

If they are not good for you what would be some good alternatives for them?

Thanks.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
High sodium, MSG and hi carb. A blunt "no" to both

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Potatoes and foods like Ramen Noodle have a diabolical effect on my BS so it is a definite no to both. Instead of noodle try cauliflower rice or zucchini pasta

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As a T1 you would be able to inject for them so would be probably OK for you.

For most T2s and similar they would spike blood sugars horrendously so for me it would be once in a blue moon.

D

Deleted member 308541

As I am T2 i would not eat the noodles, I do however eat Spudlites which are a lower carb potatoe.

AS @JohnEGreen said, you should be able to.
As a T1 you would be able to inject for them so would be probably OK for you

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
For a type 1 as long as you dose right there isn't a food you can't have. Whether it's healthy or not is a different matter for us type 1's. I eat potatoes whenever I want and consider them a vegetable, but I bake them or micro them. I eat whole wheat pasta whenever I want, but never ramen. It has a lot of junk added to it.

For a type 1 it's all about dosing.
For a person it's about what you consider acceptable and healthy.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@LeeLeeLeeLee your profile says you are T1, but you list diet only and metformin as treatment types.
How were you diagnosed?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sorry ... 71 / 51 ??????

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ah no, I was asking about your diabetes type. Your profile says you are type one but your treatment suggests type two.

LeeLeeLeeLee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah no, I was asking about your diabetes type. Your profile says you are type one but your treatment suggests type two.

My doctor tells me I'm a type 1.However I might have misheard so I'll have to recheck the next time I see him.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You'd better ask that question like "now" to make sure.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Come on please answer my question otherwise I'm leaving the forum.
The answer can be very different dependent on whether you are Type1 or Type2.

For many Type1's things like potatoes can be dealt with if you know how much insulin to take for them, if you are Type2 then they are not the best option at all. I know nothing about Ramen Noodles.

Reactions: ziggy_w

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First you have to be absolutely sure what type of diabetes you have. They are completely different conditions. They are treated differently.

A T1 can eat virtually anything but they calculate how much insulin to inject for that meal.

Most of the T2s here eat low carb to control our blood sugar levels.

As a T2 I treat myself to a few roasties on Christmas day and don't touch potatoes the rest of the year. I would not eat ramen noodles, they are worse than potatoes.

There are noodly type things out there which I can eat. Oomi noodles are one. Try searching for konjac in your online supermarket.

Reactions: Rokaab

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My doctor tells me I'm a type 1.However I might have misheard so I'll have to recheck the next time I see him.
If you are type one and have the insulin to deal with ramen and potatoes and know how to adjust doses - go ahead.
If you are T2 and diet only controlled then the foods mentioned are not so advisable unless your meter shows you can tolerate them.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Come on please answer my question otherwise I'm leaving the forum.

It's nowhere near that easy as others have said. You're not here to help us. We, on the other hand, are here to help YOU.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @LeeLeeLeeLee

If you are indeed type 1 then you should be taking insulin so it is unlikely that you are type 1 if you are taking metformin, you would be type 2 in that case.

Noodles are carbohydrates so similar to potatoes, both convert to glucose in the blood so are best avoided.