Potatoes does it make you spike high

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guy I noticed even giving correct insulin if I'm eating potatoe foods such as even potatoe waffles I will start at 7 and than I can spike upto 12 even 13 and than later come back to range. Does anyone else spike really bad after eating potatoe foods?. Thanks

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I can't say I do, so I must be getting the bolus and timing right. I also eat low carb Carisma potatoes. Which works out about 10g of carbs per 100g of those particular potatoes.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it just Potato waffles or all forms of potatoes? It could be the "pizza effect" where the fat slows down your absorption rate of the carbs giving you a later BG peak

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Potatoes are my worst enemy!
The highest spikes I have recorded are in high double figures because of spuds, that is from normal levels after an hour or so.
Potatoes contains starch, which is high GI carbs.
Then again it is dependent on how old the potato is, how it is cooked, type of potato, what you eat with them.
Some people are intolerant to gluten, so what replaces the gluten in gluten free foods?

Potatoes starch. Which is very high in carbs because it is concentrated.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People who still make some of their own insulin can tolerate potatoes better. I haven't eaten them for many years, because they cause spiking that I am not able to bolus for. For me, potatoes are more trouble than they are worth,

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the replys I really aprreciate it. This disease sometimes its hard to understand doctors don't really explain all theses other things such as temp high spike I guess it's pretty normal the spike I was seeing I guess only way with potatoes is to prebolous maybe.

TypeZero.

Hey guy I noticed even giving correct insulin if I'm eating potatoe foods such as even potatoe waffles I will start at 7 and than I can spike upto 12 even 13 and than later come back to range. Does anyone else spike really bad after eating potatoe foods?. Thanks

If you start high then you will spike higher than you usually do.

Your spike may be related to:
-Your insulin ratio not being correct
-You eating the potatoes at a specific period of the day where you are most resistant to insulin
-The insulin having different pharmacokinetic properties on you. Generally they say insulin starts working 15 minutes after injection but I’m sure it’s later or sooner for some people
-Where you inject insulin has a huge effect on its pharmacokinetic properties. Generally not advised but muscle are fast, veins can be dangerously fast so beware

I haven’t noticed anything particularly spikey after eating potatoes. I would just advise injecting insulin 20-30 minutes prior to eating if you can especially if you’re high I would wait a bit longer to bring it down

Reactions: oldgreymare

Stefp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Potatoes always lead to quite a spike in my blood glucose levels - no matter how they are cooked or what type and like MikeMunday the effort isn’t worth it for me either.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Potatoes mmmm my fav especially mashed , I tend to take my bolus about an hour after I’ve eaten them , or else my blood sugars tend to rise too much , taken a bit of trial and error but let’s face it that’s generally the case with diabetes, as always everything is individual to the individual but I had to trial and error for tatties cos I love em .

stay safe

“ when you play the game of thrones you live or you die”