Potential hypo after bed time.

mummymerle

I often get a blood sugar reading of 4.4 to 5.2. So have to have a snack before sleeping. Not so sure about crackers and tea. Any suggestions ???

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I often get a blood sugar reading of 4.4 to 5.2. So have to have a snack before sleeping. Not so sure about crackers and tea. Any suggestions ???

Yes, I'd have a snack if I was that low. But I'm T1, and it really isn't the same. (I'm producing zero insulin, whereas a T2 you may or may not be producing any, and probably have a fair amount of insulin resistance.)

But honestly, the first question is, what advice have you been given by your team? Crackers actually don't sound bad to me, but the amount of carbs are fairly critical, and a T2 may well need much less than a T1. As an insulin resistant T1, I'd probably only have 5g of carbs, whereas many/most others would go for more like 15g. The amount needed depends on your insulin to carb ratio and your correction ratio, if you know what those are. (And your team may or may not have helped you calculate these.)

If you can't contact your team (and that would be my first suggestion) then maybe try a small dose of carbs (a cracker is fine) and see what it's done to your levels in the morning.... Then you'll know better for the next time.

Good luck , and I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Insulin is insulin, but different people can have very different reactions to it.

mummymerle

Humalog 25 mix. It's very good for me keeps my readings steady. I am happy with it just sometime its drops a little low. Which isn't a problem just plain crackers and tea a suggestion by my dietitian is very plain. Last night it was 4.4 I had 4 rivita and a light smattering of orange and ginger marmalade and tea with cinnamon sugar. When I woke up this morning fbs was 7.2 not bad it could have been alot higher !