Pre Diabetes Help

SarahB1983

Diagnosed with pre diabetes about 2 weeks ago.
What is the best thing to do - cut out all sugar or slimming World?
Which is going to be more beneficial?

Thanks

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cut out sugar, including foods which turn to sugar in the body, thats carbs, all carbs

You can do it the way I did, cold turkey and have a few side effects but long lasting results, or you can do it slower cutting out bit by bit. That's slower and gives you more time to think about it all. It depends on you and your personality which is best for you.

How determined are you? How addicted? What was your hba1c?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
for got to say, this is going to be away of eating for life so why pay weekly? You'll get all the help and support you need here without being sold foods or plans and eating food that your body just can't handle

SarahB1983

Cut out sugar, including foods which turn to sugar in the body, thats carbs, all carbs

You can do it the way I did, cold turkey and have a few side effects but long lasting results, or you can do it slower cutting out bit by bit. That's slower and gives you more time to think about it all. It depends on you and your personality which is best for you.

How determined are you? How addicted? What was your hba1c?

I need to do this - I hate the way things are - I have a horrible red hivey type Rash on my legs which is sore and itchy and I've also had some night time incontinence so I have to do this.
I have cut out the majority of sugar - and I do feel better for it.

It was 45.

I have been told by someone who has type 2 that the best thing to do is cut out the sugar

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That is partially true, because most of us have given up sugar, but still getting the symptoms and the blood tests kept on getting worse.
It's the carbs. They have more impact on my blood glucose levels than sugar does.
Reduce your carbs, reduce your plate size, reduce the number of snacks.
Increase the exercise, good fats and water.

Keep safe

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slimming World?
Dear god no.
Slimming World promote high carb foods as being syn free.
That's pasta, bread, rice . . . all the things you need to stay away from.

I joined Sliming World post diagnosis but completely ignored their advice & went low carb instead.
I lost 5st in 6 months by going low carb & walking.
I was on to be regional slimmer of the year just before Covid hit.
I was dreading being interviewed by their magazine asking me how I did it.

SarahB1983

Dear god no.
Slimming World promote high carb foods as being syn free.
That's pasta, bread, rice . . . all the things you need to stay away from.

I joined Sliming World post diagnosis but completely ignored their advice & went low carb instead.
I lost 5st in 6 months by going low carb & walking.
I was on to be regional slimmer of the year just before Covid hit.
I was dreading being interviewed by their magazine asking me how I did it.

Wow!
So what type of foods do you eat most?
What carbs do you eat?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow!
What carbs do you eat?
Low carb means eating lots of delicious foods which are under 10 percent carbohydrate - that is the usual limit - and seeing low blood glucose plus weightloss as a side effect.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow!
What carbs do you eat?

Meat, nuts & dairy are your friend.
I my case my insulin resistance was completely down to visceral fat.
I had my FBG back in non-diabetic range inside 3 weeks.
Then I kept, going & going & going.
I'd spent 20 years putting on weight with no success dieting . . . then low carb & kaboom.

My problem now is I can eat carbs again without spiking, very easy to go back to the old ways.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not just sugar but all carbs need to be kept down. Avoid slimming companies as they don't understand nutrition and just market what you want to hear. It's not about Calories so forget them and think Carbs.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow!
What carbs do you eat?
It depends on the individual as we all react to carbs differently but anything between 10g to 130g per day. If you haven’t already get a monitor and test regularly and you will be able to see your reaction and decide what foods you can or or should not eat. The type of foods we eat are the ones that have been drummed into us over the years as being unhealthy such as nuts, dairy inc butter, cream, cheese, full fat Greek yoghurt etc, eggs, meat and you can leave the skin on your chicken and have crackling with your roast pork! Ones to be wary of are the so-called healthy ones - potatoes, rice, pasta, bread (W/meal or white) some vegetables, fruit although berries are best etc.