Pre diabetes

Natashasamadi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi! My name is Natasha and I am 26 years old, turning 27 this year. I am very overweight with a BMI of 37 (92kg, 160cm tall) I am from Stockholm, Sweden and have been literally freaking out because of diabetes. This is so scary that it has effected me mentally and my day to day. I gave birth 5 months ago to my first born and had gestational diabetes put on insulin during my pregnancy.

After he was born my numbers went down and I didnt need insulin anymore. I recently tested and my fasting have been elevated around 6.0 sometimes goes down to 5.6, 5.5 but most 5.8-6.0. I had an A1c end of november which came out being 5.3% so not even in the prediabetic area but since my fasting has been elevated I am very scared. Im going to the gym and trying to lose weight.

It has impacted me so bad that I am meeting a psychologist. I just need some calming words because this is making me so depressed and sick and I am so scared that I dont even wanna eat

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1 and Antje77

May Mic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First of all , don't panic. Your numbers are good.
If you are taking a fasting glucose test and it's high, it may be what is called Dawn Phenomenon. The liver dumps glucose into tour system in the early hours as part of the waking up process. It's natural, every one has it. Those without diabetes can counter it.
Yes, losing weight will help keep things under control, but please ensure it's done in a healthy way.

Have you had a talk with the Dr. about your numbers and A1C? Perhaps it may help reassure you.

It's likely more on your mind due to the gestational diabetes.

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! My name is Natasha and I am 26 years old, turning 27 this year. I am very overweight with a BMI of 37 (92kg, 160cm tall) I am from Stockholm, Sweden and have been literally freaking out because of diabetes. This is so scary that it has effected me mentally and my day to day. I gave birth 5 months ago to my first born and had gestational diabetes put on insulin during my pregnancy.

After he was born my numbers went down and I didnt need insulin anymore. I recently tested and my fasting have been elevated around 6.0 sometimes goes down to 5.6, 5.5 but most 5.8-6.0. I had an A1c end of november which came out being 5.3% so not even in the prediabetic area but since my fasting has been elevated I am very scared. Im going to the gym and trying to lose weight.

It has impacted me so bad that I am meeting a psychologist. I just need some calming words because this is making me so depressed and sick and I am so scared that I dont even wanna eat
Those numbers look fine to me. I wouldn't describe your fasting numbers as "elevated" at all. I'll attach a graph of a CGM user who isn't diabetic - you'll see that the glucose levels for a non-diabetic person vary over the course of a day and are in the ranges you're describing.

Your HbA1c of 5.3% (34 mmol/mol in IFCC figures) is much lower than the average non-diabetic blood glucose. I think it confirms that you don't have a blood glucose issue.

I understand why you're anxious - you've had gestational diabetes and you don't want that (or similar) again. That's fine. You may also want to lose some weight - if you have a look at my signature below you'll see that I've lost over 30kg in the last four years on a low carb lifestyle. You might not want or need to go as far as I have, but this sort of approach has worked for many people on this forum. There's more in the "Success Stories" section.

Best of luck.

Attachments

• non-diabetic 1-day cgm.jpg
    non-diabetic 1-day cgm.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Friendly
Reactions: MrsA2