Pre-diabetic diagnosis confirmed

Helss

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I've been lurking and posting occasionally for the last few weeks whilst waiting for my GP to confirm pre-diabetes or Type 2. Thankfully today she has confirmed pre-diabetes, although my blood sugars are all just below borderline. It's been brilliant to have been able to read all the advice here about what the tests mean and how to treat my diet. Thankfully my GP also runs a pre-diabetic nurse's clinic that I will be able to attend, and she's referred me to the dietician. So having felt really lost and hopeless I feel more like they are taking this seriously.

I'm now going to do a proper Diet Doctor low carb diet and keep reading avidly and asking questions here.

This forum has been great!

Reactions: 8 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are in UK sadly the NHS dieticians still seem to think you need carbs; my visit to one was a complete waste of time and as she was a large lady she obviously believed here mantra about needing carbs!!!

Cazbat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
If you are in UK sadly the NHS dieticians still seem to think you need carbs; my visit to one was a complete waste of time and as she was a large lady she obviously believed here mantra about needing carbs!!!
Hi i'm newly diagnosed prediabetic it took 4 weeks to get my blood test results back! Which i rang to chase and on the same day got a letter to confirm my result to be 42 on the line exactly. The letter stated facts about the diet i should eat and advised to see a diabetic dietician which i felt there was no need for as they can not correctly advise they can only tell me what they are allowed to advise and think i'm better off with the internet and my own common sence. Since switching to a low carb, low saturated fat, low sugar, low salt diet my energy has drastically improved. I didnt realise how lethargic i felt. Being a stay at home mam with a 3 year old i just put it down to lack of sleep and running about after her. But i do have some questions i'll relay in the correct forums. Your post made me laugh.

Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I'm now going to do a proper Diet Doctor low carb diet and keep reading avidly and asking questions here.
Welcome Helss
Great to see you getting straight on the front foot.
Low carb diets have been very successful with many on here so its a good start. You should definitely get a meter so you can self test and see how your sugars are progressing otherwise you will be flying blind and won't know whether your diet is helping or not.
Let us know how you are progressing and ask any questions as you move forward

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You may be best avoiding the NHS dietician unless you are very lucky; it's a very sad state of affairs. You can get all the right diet advice on these forums e.g. low-carb and hopefully a good diet will help delay full diabetes for a long time.

Helss

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to give the dietician a go - after all, with the wealth of advice here I can ignore anything that seems silly ;-) I've got a couple of other health conditions and medications that impact on my appetite and digestion, so I'm hoping that they might have the experience to give me some advice on triangulating all of that. Worst case scenario I'm left where I am now.

I'm so glad I don't need metformin - my poor tummy wouldn't have been able to handle that at all!

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I too have other health conditions.....(T1 though) and after 30+ years) seeing my first dietitian this week.

I will find it interesting when she reads through my 4 day diary as its all pure veg and fruit!! And waiting to see what she knows about a paralysed colon and cancer....

Going open minded though!!

I fear she is going to tell me to eat bread/flour/rice/pasta/meat because this causes my stomach the worst pain and consipation ever!!

Like you though.. Open minded.

Helss

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have other health conditions.....(T1 though) and after 30+ years) seeing my first dietitian this week.

I will find it interesting when she reads through my 4 day diary as its all pure veg and fruit!! And waiting to see what she knows about a paralysed colon and cancer....

Going open minded though!!

I fear she is going to tell me to eat bread/flour/rice/pasta/meat because this causes my stomach the worst pain and consipation ever!!

Like you though.. Open minded.
Wow - I think we have opposite gastric problems ;-) Good luck to you too. It's just so awful not knowing how our bodies will respond to certain foods.