Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I’ve just been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. There’s a strong, long history of type 2 in my maternal family.

I’m joining slimming world - is this a good idea to manage my diet or am I needing a more specific diet please?

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A good idea for Slimming Worlds finances. All you need is to reduce the amount of carbs, Bread, rice, pasta, pastry, potatoes, and above all cut out sugar altogether.
Base your meals around meat, eggs, cheese, above ground vegetables. Butter and olive oil for cooking.
Forget everything you have been told is healthy to eat, this is the reason there is an obesity and diabetes epidemic.
FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT, AND DOES NOT CAUSE HEART DISEASE. We've been lied to for the last 50 years, our ancestors would eat as much fat as they could get hold of. It's what the human body evolved to use as a fuel, fat and protein, and some carbohydrates when available in late summer and autumn, to build the fat stored on the body, for the lean times in winter.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I’ve just been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. There’s a strong, long history of type 2 in my maternal family.

I’m joining slimming world - is this a good idea to manage my diet or am I needing a more specific diet please?
I think you might like to have a read of this short introduction to diabetes, written by one of our members: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html
It hs a lot of practical stuff you can use right away. And being prediabetic only, it may well be that just some minor adjustments are enough to get back at normal levels. :)

Reactions: Mo R

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Well, you don't need to pay for Slimming World's "advice". I don't think they mention blood glucose reduction, and the last time I looked it was still all "weight loss through calorie restriction".

High blood glucose in T2 style diabetes is caused by your body's cells becoming resistant to your own insulin. Insulin acts to move glucose in the blood stream into muscle cells. If this doesn't happen, blood glucose levels rise and glucose is also converted to fat. High blood glucose levels over time cause physical damage to nerves and capillaries.

Glucose gets into the bloodstream because carbohydrate in the food you eat is digested to glucose. It follows therefore that if you reduce the carbohydrate you eat, less glucose will be produced and your insulin has a better chance of working. Foods that are high in carbohydrate are best avoided. This includes bread, pasta, rice, most fruit, sugar, and root veg (eg potatoes) all of which are high in carb content. This is the weight loss advice that used to be routinely given out until the 1980s - reduce starchy food and sugar.

Each of us needs to establish what level of carb reduction we need to achieve the sorts of blood glucose reduction we're aiming for (weight loss often follows as a consequence). For me, that was and is 20g carb/day. Others can manage on higher amounts.

A blood glucose monitor and recording your food against blood glucose levels is essential,in my opinion. It will show you clearly which foods have the biggest impact.

Best of luck. This forum is a great resource.

Reactions: Robbity and Mo R
D

Deleted member 571965

A good idea for Slimming Worlds finances. All you need is to reduce the amount of carbs, Bread, rice, pasta, pastry, potatoes, and above all cut out sugar altogether.
Base your meals around meat, eggs, cheese, above ground vegetables. Butter and olive oil for cooking.
Forget everything you have been told is healthy to eat, this is the reason there is an obesity and diabetes epidemic.
FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT, AND DOES NOT CAUSE HEART DISEASE. We've been lied to for the last 50 years, our ancestors would eat as much fat as they could get hold of. It's what the human body evolved to use as a fuel, fat and protein, and some carbohydrates when available in late summer and autumn, to build the fat stored on the body, for the lean times in winter.
''fat does not make you fat'' is correct - a calorie surplus does.
''and does not cause heart disease'' is incorrect - diets high in fat, especially saturated fat, absolutely can contribute to heart disease.

Reactions: saky and Stu1969uk

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you still believe the debunked Cholesterol heart health hypothesis, that is what you would think. not very much LDL is actually bad, just the glycated, oxidised particles, but we don't bother measuring them, as that wouldn't fit the plan. Just say all LDL is bad, it's scarier and increases the statins market.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep coming across research which indicates that having low cholesterol is associated with a shorter life - saw something about a new survey showing the same thing in the last day or so.
As age at death is rather set in stone I really do suspect that there is something other than cholesterol to blame

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

BoldItalic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

As others have said, the way to keep blood glucose down is to limit carbohydrate intake. This may co-incidentally cause you to lose weight. But don't believe people who say that diabetes is caused by being overweight and then say that you need to go on a low-fat, low-calorie slimming diet to remedy it. They are wrong. We do need to control our diet but not the way they do.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier and Mo R

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I was originally beyond pre diabetic when first diagnosed. HD a brilliant nurse who was very pro low carb diet. Lost weight and for the last 4 years I have been in remission.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
All carbs, whether white or brown (wholemeal) turn to sugar in our bodies.
THIS is how I learnt in the very beginning.
I have been under diabetic blood glucose numbers just coming up to three years, thanks to knowing this x

Last edited by a moderator:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, some posts were removed because they derailed the thread, and they were unhelpful to the person who started the thread.

Please try to keep your postings on topic, especially in a thread by a newly diagnosed member, diabetes is complicated enough as it is.

Thanks in advance!"

Reactions: Antje77