Pre Type 2 (possibly Type 2) - need some advice pls

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
Jo, you are so knowledgeable, always write such sound sense and take so much trouble to explain stuff to all of us newbies. Thanks.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jo, you are so knowledgeable, always write such sound sense and take so much trouble to explain stuff to all of us newbies. Thanks.

I couldn't agree more-Jo is amazing. I was so grateful to her nutritional thingy when I was diagnosed as I felt so overwhelmed.

This site is the best thing about my diagnosis- meeting (on-line) such amazing people has been great.

@RJH2345 - In my experience meat is not bad for us type 2s- in fact my consumption of meat has increased vastly. I also agree that you will need to add more fat so you don't feel too hungry. I have more fat then ever before but am still losing weight- more than 20kgs since mid-July so I'm happy with that.

Reactions: HSSS

RJH2345

What’s the general consensus of taking drugs like metformin whilst intermittent fasting and on LCHF diet?

Ideally I would like to get this under control without drugs but if I decided to take the drugs for a month or so is it fair to say that this wont damage my results / body in the long term and I can still achieve a drug free management of this condition (which is my ultimate goal).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin mostly acts by prevent liver dumps and in some restricting appetite. It doesn’t work directly on the food you eat.

It isn’t considered a risk for hypo’s either so it generally considered safe for IF and LCHF from all I’ve read.

It can be stopped at a later time if you choose to start it now.

Some people are fine others spend a few weeks or longer adjusting to the digestive issues it might create. It is said to have other protective benefits too it these might be important to you.

so whatever decision you make it can be changed later.

Reactions: RJH2345

RJH2345

Curious - people mentioned that they “turned around” their type 2 diabetes - what does that actually mean?

Does that mean at some stage after all this dietary and lifestyle changes we can enjoy / better tolerate high carb foods again (like burgers / chips etc)? Or are they intolerable for life and by going LCHF we are just taking away the fuel that feeds the fire (so to speak)?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There isn't enough evidence yet as to whether going low carb for a while means we can go back to eating high carb after, but many/most of us suspect not.

I was told I was prediabetic some years ago, joined the lowcarbprogram and got down into normal range blood glucose very fast and maintained it for a while but then slipped back into my old eating pattern over a few months, a couple of years later I was full T2.
This time I expect to have to stay low carb for good, although I did increase my carbs a little after being in remission for a full year (an extra 20g a day). If this doesn't work then it will mean going down further and staying even lower carb for life.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does that mean at some stage after all this dietary and lifestyle changes we can enjoy / better tolerate high carb foods again (like burgers / chips etc)?
I'd go so far as to say that after a while you stop regarding such things as "food" ..
I still have burgers but make my own and have them without a bun or fries..just maybe cheese, egg and bacon. You simply don't miss the wrapper when enjoying the filling.
It takes a while but eventually many of us reorder our relationship with food completely.

Reactions: HSSS

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I can eat high carb foods now - the carbs are processed into body fat and my weight goes up - I can see the result next day and for the following week as I slowly lose it again.
I have been told it impossible that eating an extra 40 gm of carbs in a day should have such an effect - but what other conclusion is there when it happens every time? It happened when I was younger, it happens now I am back to normal.

RJH2345

Hi there just to check in on how I have been going.

My fastings are down to about 4.8-5.1 daily and I’m exercising about 5km run a day - have lost about 12kgs in the past 4 weeks with a combo of low carb / keto diet and intermittent fasting..so I guess thats a good result so far...

My questions however are..

1. When I have a high fatty meal - like a steak my blood sugar goes to about 6.4 - 6.6 - is this acceptable?
2. I have removed carbs completely so no mashed potatoes :( - this is really hard but prolly has helped the weight loss.
3. I’ve been having about 2 TBSp of natural peanut butter daily - again the label says no sugar and 1g of carb but this also causes an increase in my sugar to about 6.5 - is this normal / acceptable? Why are fats causing a spike like this?
4. Is the goal to keep blood sugar below 7? Or to try and always keep it in the 5’s?

Appreciate any comments - thankyou!

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I doubt very much it's the fat in your meals causing the rise you are seeing. The more likely explanation is that in the absence of carbs you are converting some of the protein in your food to glucose.
I would say that everyone's goal should be to have the same blood sugar ranges as a non diabetic.
Ie. 4.0 to 5.9 mmol/L pre meal and under 7.8 at least 90min after

RJH2345

Thanks Cat - I find my blood sugar does linger in the high range for longer if I get a bit naughty - for example last week I had a bowl of yoghurt and added a bit too many blueberries cause I didnt want them to go to waste) - my blood sugar was still around 7.3 about 3hrs after that snack - i get worried when it stays in the 7s so i might try and just avoid food that gets me that high