Prediabetes dietary changes for someone with a low weight?

CWP

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear all,

I have received a txt from my doctor to say I have an HbA1c of 43, and am pre diabetic.
I have mild hypertension successfully controlled by drugs, and my weight is (and has been for all my life) low-normal (close to, but not, underweight).

I am looking at dietary advice, and am a bit confused. Some stuff is obvious - like cut out refined sugar, and refined carbs. Yep, I need to work at that and will do.
Some advice I am less clear if it is about weight loss, or more directly glucose level management. Such as portion size, etc.

How can I manage my diet, but also make sure that I get enough calories to not lose weight?

Thanks

Chris

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How can I manage my diet, but also make sure that I get enough calories to not lose weight?
If you lower one macronutrient, in this case carbs, you'll need to up the others, fats and proteins. Cheeses, cream, fatty cuts of meat, mayonnaise, bacon and eggs are all calorie dense but low carb.

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed prediabetes and was low weight (7 years ago!)
I suggest reduce carbs (wholemeal as well as refined). You then need to replace those calories with fats or proteins
I lost weight when I first started low carb - I wasn't eating enough calories. I tracked the number of carbs and the number of calories for a while.
I also bought a glucose testing meter to check the impact of foods on my blood glucose levels. I learned which foods I could eat, and which foods helped me to keep weight on. (One of the effects of Low Carb is that you may feel full for longer, so I needed to make sure I was taking in enough calories)

You are only just Prediabetic, so a change of diet can have an impact. You don't need to lose weight

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I am/was a slim T2 diabetic (in remission for nearly 4 yrs). My BG readings showed me that I needed to cut my carbohydrates quite hard (20-40gms per day), but I increased my proteins and the fats that came with them, so although I lost some weight (mainly because carbs retain water), my weight stabilised around the weight I'd been in my 20's (I was 68 yrs old at diagnosis and had not been that weight since I was 30).

I don't think people should fear losing weight on Low Carb, we have got used to everybody being heavier these days. Provided you get enough protein and enough calories it shouldn't matter if you are less heavy - because that's probably the optimum for you!

CWP

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks a lot for all your replies. I am significantly reducing carbs and increasing protein and fats as you suggest. Already got my fasting level down below pre diabetes range, though spikes from my carb experiments show I need to stay on this low carb diet....

JanTP

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I was told l was pre-diabetic in October. I am waiting for an appointment at the Diabetic Clinic (assuming it’s a long wait). The knowledge l have is only through reading at the moment.
However, l have other health problems and I’m anxious about some symptom. Not sure if they are to do with glucose levels. Shaky hands, ringing in my ears, pins and needles, numbness and a bit light-headed (not all together!). When you look these up it can get a bit confusing! Can anyone tell me if they could be diabetic symptoms?
I will see the GP if they don’r improve.

Michellenz

I was told l was pre-diabetic in October. I am waiting for an appointment at the Diabetic Clinic (assuming it’s a long wait). The knowledge l have is only through reading at the moment.
However, l have other health problems and I’m anxious about some symptom. Not sure if they are to do with glucose levels. Shaky hands, ringing in my ears, pins and needles, numbness and a bit light-headed (not all together!). When you look these up it can get a bit confusing! Can anyone tell me if they could be diabetic symptoms?
I will see the GP if they don’r improve.

I’d suggest checking medication levels at doctors, esp if you are on any for blood pressure. Some symptoms could be prediabetes.

bp and symptoms would be helped by eating low carb. You don’t have buy wait for appointment on get started. I hope it goes well .