DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently discovered Tesco's Scottish mackerel in best olive oil. It is very rich and utterly delicious. Adding any sauce to it would be completely OTT. The same fish is also available in brine, but I have not tried it. https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/271184067

Will look out for that.

I recently bought some tinned mackerel from elsewhere. Haven't got round to trying it yet. But when I do - will post if it's any good!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: DianaMC

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's very interesting about the mobile glucose meter. Silly question, but how are the others not mobile? Is it to do with Bluetooth, or more about having to have kit plugged in?
Hi @DianaMC I think the Accu Chek Mobile is called that because the test strips are enclosed in the cassette. And the lancet pen is attached (it detaches which I find easier to use than when attached to the meter). You don't have to carry a separate lancet and strips, and insert individual strips so it's easier to carry and use when you are out and about.
I initially started using it because of the Fastclix lancet device as I have a needle phobia and thought it would be easier for me to use. But the test cassettes are a bit dear, around £20 for a 50 test cassette, which is about 40p per test. But they can sometimes be bought for less on ebay.
I probably will stop using the AC meter when my present stock of test cassettes runs out, and will use the TEE2. But I will continue to use the Fastclix lancet device as I find it relatively painless once you get used to it.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently bought some tinned mackerel from elsewhere. Haven't got round to trying it yet. But when I do - will post if it's any good!
I just enjoyed yet another mackerel lunch. I think it is the extra virgin olive oil that makes this tinned mackerel taste so good. (Perhaps not the best for weight loss, though.) Currently on offer 4 for £2.50 until next January (top marks to Tesco for not going down the route of flash in the pan offers). https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/271184067

Last edited:
Reactions: DianaMC and Prem51

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had wondered if those products were any good (only noticed the pasta one before)
Well, people here either love them or hate them. "Real" rice and pasta are certainly nicer, but when one has the prospect of "never again" the "Slim" range are IMO a very acceptable substitute. This brand has added some oat fibre (zero carb) and that does seem to improve the texture as against other konjac flour products. There is no taste - but then white rice has very little. Initially I tried Zero brand noodles and found their texture very strange though still good enough that I would have bought them again, had I not discovered the Slim range. My favourites are the fettucine and penne, but that might be because I don't like noodles, even real ones. Don't be put off by the smell when you open the packet. This is from the liquid the rice is stored in. You just have to rinse well. One advantage over real rice, no cooking needed, just warm them up.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh - the glycemic index - another fairy story as far as my insides are concerned.
Yes, but it is certainly true that cooked vegetables will raise bg faster than raw, and ripe bananas contain far more sugar than unripe.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A friend who is Type 2 and has a daughter who has Type 1 says her other daughter loves sweet potato cooked in the microwave like that
I microwave almost everything, including broccoli, cauliflower, chicken pieces. Brilliant! I won't be risking sweet potatoes, though!.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DianaMC I think the Accu Chek Mobile is called that because the test strips are enclosed in the cassette. And the lancet pen is attached (it detaches which I find easier to use than when attached to the meter). You don't have to carry a separate lancet and strips, and insert individual strips so it's easier to carry and use when you are out and about.
I initially started using it because of the Fastclix lancet device as I have a needle phobia and thought it would be easier for me to use. But the test cassettes are a bit dear, around £20 for a 50 test cassette, which is about 40p per test. But they can sometimes be bought for less on ebay.
I probably will stop using the AC meter when my present stock of test cassettes runs out, and will use the TEE2. But I will continue to use the Fastclix lancet device as I find it relatively painless once you get used to it.

That’s super helpful info - thank you so much for sharing!

The nurse in the clinic yesterday offered a finger prick test, so I said yes. Was quite surprised at the ‘sting’. And the noise. For a moment I thought she’d used a stapler on my finger!

That was in lieu of not very being able to supply a home testing kit. The argument was they only give those (or supply strips on prescription) to people on insulin or other diabetic medications. Bit catch 22 if you ask me! Although I’m sure you’ll have heard all this before :)

Anyway, the reading came up as 4.4 - I presume mmol/l, which I believe translates to 27 mmol/mol. That compares with 43 (which I now gather probably translated to 7.1, not 6.1 as I previously thought. Bit confusing, so many different measurements, though. Including needing to figure what type of meter she used. I forgot to ask her the brand etc. It was pretty small, though, and angled in at the bottom.

The reading was taken shortly after I had eaten some nuts - as I had another near-fainting episode once I arrived at the clinic. Luckily there was time to nip to the local shop for nuts - the hospital cafe was closed and the packed vending machine had nothing suitable for anyone with diabetic concerns!

The nurse measured BP too, which was low again - moreso than those taken across the past 3 years, which have tended to be on the ‘normal’ side. She thinks that dehydration might be to blame for the low BP. That would add up actually. I think I get stressed quite easily and the organs tend to overwork andcusr more water with that. Happens with high blood sugar, too. Although I don’t feel I know the real cause at the moment.

The lower BS/BG reading was encouraging, but she said you can’t compsre it straight with a HBA1C reading as it’s immediate and not over 3 months. I still can’t fathom the 3 month thing - she said it’s not an ‘averaging’ sum.

But she seemed impressed at my half stone of weight loss! And said all the dietary changes I’d made in the last 5/7 weeks are what they would recommend.

One odd thing - she said it was better to eat fruit with other carbs than on its own. I thought she would have said with protein or fat, but no. I’m guessing that bit won’t go down at all well with most people here!!

Sorry to post all this in the one reply. I had wanted to post a general update on the clinic visit earlier but have had long episodes of blurred vision and another near-faint (with feeling cold, fatigue and hunger) today. This has been the first moment to be able to think and see straight, so I’m making the most of it!

Best wishes and thanks to Prem51, Akexandra100 and all!

Reactions: Prem51

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, people here either love them or hate them. "Real" rice and pasta are certainly nicer, but when one has the prospect of "never again" the "Slim" range are IMO a very acceptable substitute. This brand has added some oat fibre (zero carb) and that does seem to improve the texture as against other konjac flour products. There is no taste - but then white rice has very little. Initially I tried Zero brand noodles and found their texture very strange though still good enough that I would have bought them again, had I not discovered the Slim range. My favourites are the fettucine and penne, but that might be because I don't like noodles, even real ones. Don't be put off by the smell when you open the packet. This is from the liquid the rice is stored in. You just have to rinse well. One advantage over real rice, no cooking needed, just warm them up.

That’s all really good to know!

I’m super sensitive to smell sometimes, so could have assumed the thing was off, if I didn’t have this info first :)

Any port in a storm, too, if the choice turns out to be some pasta//rice or none (otherwise)!

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just enjoyed yet another mackerel lunch. I think it is the extra virgin olive oil that makes this tinned mackerel taste so good. (Perhaps not the best for weight loss, though.) Currently on offer 4 for £2.50 until next January (top marks to Tesco for not going down the route of flash in the pan offers). https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/271184067

That’s a bargain! Especially since the price of canned sardines seems to have soared lately - I’m not sure why. Pity, as I love canned sardines :) And they don’t cause mouth irritation the way fresh ones do (which I would probably only have when eating out anyway, but, even so... something in the canning must ‘temper’ them!)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The lower BS/BG reading was encouraging, but she said you can’t compsre it straight with a HBA1C reading as it’s immediate and not over 3 months. I still can’t fathom the 3 month thing - she said it’s not an ‘averaging’ sum.
Warning: this is my totally unscientific understanding of the A1c test. It measures how much glucose is sticking to your red blood cells. Red blood cells live for between 2 and 4 months before they are replaced, so the test shows very roughly what has been happening over that time, how much glucose has accumulated. There is lots of scope for inaccuracy. As far as I know, there is no way of knowing if YOUR personal red blood cells are longer or shorter lived, but anaemia or too much iron in your blood will definitely skew the results. This quote will give you an idea of the scale of the problem:
"Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) is used in diabetic patients as an index of glycemic control reflecting glucose levels of the previous 3 months. Like blood sugar levels, HbA1c levels are also affected by the presence of variant hemoglobins, hemolytic anemias, nutritional anemias, uremia, pregnancy, and acute blood loss. However, reports on the effects of iron deficiency anemia on HbA1c levels are inconsistent."
From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3255499/
In addition, it is widely said that although the test is supposed to reflect your bg levels for the past 3 months, actually the last 3 weeks have more effect. I have some evidence of this, as a diabetic friend of mine went on the razzle just before his A1c test, scored a high reading and was threatened with insulin. He explained the situation to his nice GP, who allowed him to have another test one or two weeks later. By then his bg had dropped to a more acceptable level.

The A1c reading is also an average over 24 hours that can mask unhealthy spikes and troughs, so IMO it should always be supplemented by home finger prick or Libre / CGM readings.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The nurse in the clinic yesterday offered a finger prick test, so I said yes. Was quite surprised at the ‘sting’. And the noise. For a moment I thought she’d used a stapler on my finger!
Oh dear! Don't worry, it won't be like that if you get your own kit at home. Lancet guns are very various. I have one so violent I never used it twice, another so feeble it didn't pierce the skin even on the deepest setting. And the one I am using now is just about right! The lancets used in GP surgeries are notorious for being more like bayonets. There is a reason for this, something to do with Health and Safety, but I have forgotten it.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Warning: this is my totally unscientific understanding of the A1c test. It measures how much glucose is sticking to your red blood cells. Red blood cells live for between 2 and 4 months before they are replaced, so the test shows very roughly what has been happening over that time, how much glucose has accumulated. There is lots of scope for inaccuracy. As far as I know, there is no way of knowing if YOUR personal red blood cells are longer or shorter lived, but anaemia or too much iron in your blood will definitely skew the results. This quote will give you an idea of the scale of the problem:
"Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) is used in diabetic patients as an index of glycemic control reflecting glucose levels of the previous 3 months. Like blood sugar levels, HbA1c levels are also affected by the presence of variant hemoglobins, hemolytic anemias, nutritional anemias, uremia, pregnancy, and acute blood loss. However, reports on the effects of iron deficiency anemia on HbA1c levels are inconsistent."
From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3255499/
In addition, it is widely said that although the test is supposed to reflect your bg levels for the past 3 months, actually the last 3 weeks have more effect. I have some evidence of this, as a diabetic friend of mine went on the razzle just before his A1c test, scored a high reading and was threatened with insulin. He explained the situation to his nice GP, who allowed him to have another test one or two weeks later. By then his bg had dropped to a more acceptable level.

The A1c reading is also an average over 24 hours that can mask unhealthy spikes and troughs, so IMO it should always be supplemented by home finger prick or Libre / CGM readings.

That really helps me to understand things, Alexandra100 - thank you so much!

(Reminder to self: totally resist a biscuit/cake bender in the 3 weeks before I might have another A1c!!)

Now, to start saving for the Libre :)

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear! Don't worry, it won't be like that if you get your own kit at home. Lancet guns are very various. I have one so violent I never used it twice, another so feeble it didn't pierce the skin even on the deepest setting. And the one I am using now is just about right! The lancets used in GP surgeries are notorious for being more like bayonets. There is a reason for this, something to do with Health and Safety, but I have forgotten it.

LOL, bayonet is a really accurate description!

I'm relieved to hear the home ones are not so vicious :) Now for more research on lancets, then, if veering in the non-Libre direction (whilst saving). It sounds like they really vary a lot...

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LOL, bayonet is a really accurate description!

I'm relieved to hear the home ones are not so vicious :) Now for more research on lancets, then, if veering in the non-Libre direction (whilst saving). It sounds like they really vary a lot...
The TEE2 and Codefree each come with a lancet gun and 10 lancets. If you choose one of these, I suggest you suspend decision making until you have tried them. I have no experience of the Accuchek, but lots of people here like it and will be able to explain the options re. lancets and gun. The Abbott Freestyle meters have been cited as the most accurate, but as the strips cost about 45p each I regard them as beyond my reach. I would not want to be discouraged from frequent testing by this high price.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The TEE2 and Codefree each come with a lancet gun and 10 lancets. If you choose one of these, I suggest you suspend decision making until you have tried them. I have no experience of the Accuchek, but lots of people here like it and will be able to explain the options re. lancets and gun. The Abbott Freestyle meters have been cited as the most accurate, but as the strips cost about 45p each I regard them as beyond my reach. I would not want to be discouraged from frequent testing by this high price.

This is great advice - thank you. Having looked at the overall cost of the Libre, I can't see it being within reach anytime soon. And maybe it's more than I need right now. I think my top priority will be as pain free as possible, and the FastClix seems to address that - thinking back to what #Prem51 also posted on it. I can probably do without the 'mobile' aspect (although everything linked together sounds quite neat!) I agree that 40-45p a strip seems quite costly. So The TEE2 or Codefree seem quite appealing.

I received a diabetes.co.uk email about a subscription service to strips and lancets, where you are offered a meter for free - but it wasn't one I had noticed mentioned much in our discussions here. So I'm guessing it's not the most popular - or maybe the supplies are comparatively expensive (?)

I'm still working on adjusting my diet and have moved into lower and lower carb, but including some berries and grapes, as I think I do want that option at the moment, at least. I'm not getting too hungry, which I take as a good sign.

I also am not getting the symptoms I had been associating with too high blood sugar. I think I really noticed them when I took a cranberry drink one day, which involves dissolving a tablet in water - it's a medical thing from Boots (bit like soluble vitamin C, only it's cranberry). I felt very brain-fogged and light headed and my vision was blurry again. When I checked on the tube, it said the tablets contain Maltodextrin. When I looked that up, I could see why it might be a problem! (if I did have elevated blood sugar, anyway). I had thought those sorts of products contained artificial sweetener like aspartame or something similar. That was a wake up call. I put the rest of the tube in the bin! I just read about 'hidden' carbs. like that one and Maltitol, in a useful introduction in one of the Keto cookbooks. So much great info around, if seeing it!

Thanks again for all your support. This has been a wobbly month for me and it has felt less scary knowing there are people also struggling with multi health issues, whether caused by Type 2, or in addition to it. I thought I had enough health matters to contend with, without adding this to the list :) However, I'm starting to be aware that they might be linked, too.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having looked at the overall cost of the Libre, I can't see it being within reach anytime soon. And maybe it's more than I need right now.
Yes, I think most people would say it's better to start off with a finger-prick meter, and in any case the Libre doesn't replace these entirely. It is brilliant for showing trends and the overall picture (including in the middle of the night) but does need to be checked against the conventional test sometimes.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have moved into lower and lower carb, but including some berries and grapes
Berries, as you obviously know, are the lowest carb fruits, along with rhubarb (but excepting blueberries, especially the cultivated ones). Did you realise grapes, sadly, are among the highest carb fruits, even higher than mangoes and pineapple? https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I received a diabetes.co.uk email about a subscription service to strips and lancets, where you are offered a meter for free
Would this be the One Drop? It costs £44.95 for the unlimited supply of strips, which is what you would need. Assuming you test 8 times a day = c.250 strips per month, this works out quite a lot dearer than strips for the Codefree, especially if you buy in bulk. Even if you bought one tub at a time, the Codefree strips would cost you £38.75 for 250 strips. Be aware that Diabetes.co.uk is a commercial business and does not always offer the best value. Always compare prices online.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also am not getting the symptoms I had been associating with too high blood sugar. I think I really noticed them when I took a cranberry drink one day, which involves dissolving a tablet in water - it's a medical thing from Boots (bit like soluble vitamin C, only it's cranberry). I felt very brain-fogged and light headed and my vision was blurry again. When I checked on the tube, it said the tablets contain Maltodextrin
Yes again, lots of hidden carbs even in prescription meds. There are often no alternatives. IMO it is insane that if we need meds we are often forced to consume added sugar/carbs (and also dyes). What kind of idiots are we supposed to be, that our tablets need to be brightly coloured and taste sweet? Even if pills contain sweeteners instead of sugar, not all sweeteners are no-carb. You will find warnings on the accompanying leaflets that this med may raise bg, but I have yet to find a health professional who cares. They think I am making a fuss about nothing.

Reactions: Pasha