DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Read this and the mystery will be solved! https://www.bloodsugar101.com/diabetic-tendon-problems
In general I highly recommend Jenny Ruhl's website and books. She is a T2 of many years who has managed to survive to over 70 relatively unharmed. All her assertions are backed up with evidence. She is an advocate of the middle way and the art of the possible. She comes across as kindly and comforting, but gives shrewd advice on evaluating other diabetes journalists, and how to get the best out of your unsatisfactory doctors!

Oh my goodness - that makes so much sense! Certainly of my frozen shoulder experience, anyway. And of achilles tendonitis, which I have sometimes had. I will look up Jenny Ruhl - she sounds brilliant!

Another thing has been leg cramps, especially in the morning, although I don't know if that's particularly an issue for diabetics -? They tend to improve if I take magnesium and make an effort to keep more hydrated.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's interesting. Thank you for this information about other points to try - and your experiences with it.

My fingertips can split in the winter months, so this could be a blessing!

I wonder why other sites on the body are less accurate...? Do you mean like legs, feet, or something?
This might help: https://www.bloodsugar101.com/painless-blood-sugar-testing
With bgs nearer normal, you might have less trouble with your fingertips next Winter.

Reactions: DianaMC

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
leg cramps, especially in the morning, although I don't know if that's particularly an issue for diabetics -? They tend to improve if I take magnesium and make an effort to keep more hydrated.
Yes, I regularly take a magnesium supplement and I find that when I don't I get leg cramps in bed.

Reactions: geefull and DianaMC

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The 'information' about vegetables becoming higher in carbs if roasted is of course total rubbish - - I mean - does the naughty sugar pixie come along and add it into the dish?
Sweet potato is a very high carb vege to start with, and it remains such no matter how it is cooked.
Roasting can caramelize the surface of an already high carb food - perhaps that is what confused things.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, only a few, but it was a shock to me as I thought ALL fish were carb-free.

I realise this will likely seem very obvious to many diabetics, because I'm going to refer here to breaded, and other 'messed-around with' fish. To be honest, although I knew this from a 'nutritional' angle, to be able to explain to weight loss clients who thought they had issues with carbs - it didn't really hit home with me, personally, until I read the label on the box, like just how much carbohydrate there is in a fish finger!! Or, rather, in several of them (given most people would probably serve themselves 2-3 as a portion. I used to love a fish finger sandwich in granary bread, with plenty of salad and tartare sauce. However, I did eat the last of the box with hub recently (the fish, not the box!) with a lot of salad and some good quality tartare. Very nice, still.

Next time it will be non-breaded fish, though. Luckily I have never much cared for the battered/deep fried sort, but heart goes out to those who are/were fans, if you miss it these days.

In general I probably tend to pick just 'natural' fish anyway, if I really think about it (I like fish stews, fish curries, salmon salads, that sort of thing - only challenge being what to eat with a curry that is a bit hot!) Some things from childhood I could miss, though - I liked grilled fish fingers, and fishcakes that my mum made from pilchards/sardines in tomato sauce. Of course they had potato in, too.

I read the can last time I was in the supermarket and saw that the sardines etc in tomato sauce have lots of carbs (as do canned fish in mustard sauce - added sugar, unfortunately). The ones in oil, brine and water seem a lot better (as in low carb).

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The 'information' about vegetables becoming higher in carbs if roasted is of course total rubbish - - I mean - does the naughty sugar pixie come along and add it into the dish?
Sweet potato is a very high carb vege to start with, and it remains such no matter how it is cooked.
Roasting can caramelize the surface of an already high carb food - perhaps that is what confused things.

LOL, I like that there could be a sugar pixie!

But yes, caramelizing would be a concentration of the sugar. So, greater concentration of sugar probably does equate to higher carbs. Boiling things, instead, takes some of the stuff out of them in terms of components like vitamins (in some cases). But there's a theory that cooking some items for longer (eg pasta) makes them even higher in carbs! Go figure.... Chefs might know something about it? They're sometimes really into the micro-science bit!

I have heard that Michael Moseley talks about part of the issue in his blood sugar diet book, but I need to read it fully to understand what he's basing it on.

I've been trying to resist buying another diet book, tbh :) (despite promising myself I'll eventually write a few, based on health experiences and how to cope with them, because there's so much confusion out there... and because when I had GB problems, the nutritional advice from the medics was so vast: 'try to avoid fat'. That was it!!!! No diet sheet. Nothing. A few books have appeared since - seems there was an epidemic of gallbladder disease around the time I was ill and a few people had similar ideas. I'm always grateful when people try to put out well written and well researched books, because it's not necessarily an easy process. A lot less trouble to not bother... But it's a little dismaying to hear that some of the apparently more researched information might not be accurate (if I've understood correctly).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It always makes me smile rather ruefully when something is advertised very strongly as 100percent protein product, but it is wrapped in something which is going to be at least 2/3rds carbs - so it defies all logic, but there is is in print on the packet. Normally on the front, in a banner, with the real information on the back.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Fastclix lancet uses a drum/cassette containing six lancets. You set the depth to what suits you - I use the most shallow depth.
You put the lower end against your finger (after washing hand) and press the plunger on top.
Squeeze the finger to get a decent size blob of blood.
The end of the test strip (inserted into meter) is then touched to the blood and absorbs it, and the meter gives your reading after a second or two.

I use the Accu Chek Mobile glucose meter (as well as the TEE2) which has a cassette containing 50 test strips - a continuous roll rather than individual strips.

As for re-using lancets, the manufacturers recommend using a lancet only once, but many people re-use the same lancet many times. You can't sterilise the Fastclix lancets as they are enclosed in the drum. I re-use mine at least 50 times, I only change the lancet when I change the test strip cassette usually. Sometimes I forget and use it up to 100 times, or until it starts to feel blunt.

This video shows how to use a blood glucose meter:

Thank you so much for all that information, Prem51. So helpful.

That's very interesting about the mobile glucose meter. Silly question, but how are the others not mobile? Is it to do with Bluetooth, or more about having to have kit plugged in?

When I go to the clinic this afternoon, I'm hoping they might have a BS testing kit there for a demo! But that video looks very useful. I will watch it!

Thanks again - Diana

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LOL, I like that there could be a sugar pixie!

But yes, caramelizing would be a concentration of the sugar. So, greater concentration of sugar probably does equate to higher carbs. Boiling things, instead, takes some of the stuff out of them in terms of components like vitamins (in some cases). But there's a theory that cooking some items for longer (eg pasta) makes them even higher in carbs! Go figure.... Chefs might know something about it? They're sometimes really into the micro-science bit!

I have heard that Michael Moseley talks about part of the issue in his blood sugar diet book, but I need to read it fully to understand what he's basing it on..
No, the caramelizing alters the carbs from white to brown, but not the total amount put into the dish - and the longer cooking of pasta makes more of the carbs available faster, but they still have exactly the same carb content as when sitting in the packet.
You really have to read and analyze what is being said - there is a lot of wishful thinking when it comes to carbs a lot of misguided advice, a lot of utter nonsense - same old same old then - but it is important to recognize that there are those with vested interests who would really like to go on selling us the 'healthy carbs' no matter what damage they do.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It always makes me smile rather ruefully when something is advertised very strongly as 100percent protein product, but it is wrapped in something which is going to be at least 2/3rds carbs - so it defies all logic, but there is is in print on the packet. Normally on the front, in a banner, with the real information on the back.

Good point! I'll look out for that.

Reminds me of when I was trying to get across in weight loss shopping discussions that the nutritional bar on the front, you might as well completely ignore, as it will only tell you the values of that portion. Whereas if you always think in terms of per 100g or 100ml, you can make a much fairer comparison of fat and sugar contents. As you say, the REAL information is usually on the back!

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This might help: https://www.bloodsugar101.com/painless-blood-sugar-testing
With bgs nearer normal, you might have less trouble with your fingertips next Winter.

Fantastic info!

I'm interested to read that bit about blood flow. In recent times, when I've had to go for blood tests for various illness issues, there is sometimes a delay in the blood coming through - they usually take it from the inside of the elbow. Could this be a diabetic issue? Or maybe just to do with the artery being overused for that purpose...

Very reassuring to read about not needing to use alcohol either/not getting infections from finger pricking.

You are a veritable mine of brilliant information :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...NvbS8&guce_referrer_cs=ZP4vClin_1JgdVhyznseQQ

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read the can last time I was in the supermarket and saw that the sardines etc in tomato sauce have lots of carbs (as do canned fish in mustard sauce - added sugar, unfortunately). The ones in oil, brine and water seem a lot better (as in low carb).
I recently discovered Tesco's Scottish mackerel in best olive oil. It is very rich and utterly delicious. Adding any sauce to it would be completely OTT. The same fish is also available in brine, but I have not tried it. https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/271184067

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

The science looks sound in that article - about amylase, etc. Really appreciate being able to read about it, in one place, in such depth.

A friend who is Type 2 and has a daughter who has Type 1 says her other daughter loves sweet potato cooked in the microwave like that! I don't know if they all eat it - I'll ask her. Obviously, the daughter with Type 1 has to be very careful all the time.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh - the glycemic index - another fairy story as far as my insides are concerned.

I read somewhere that GI on its own can be confusing/unhelpful. That GL is also important.

There's so much still being discovered in the world of nutrition. Not surprising the same solutions don't work for everyone, though. We's all a bit different!