Previsional Driving Licence

Robanny

Hello,
I was wondering if somebody could answer a question I have.

I'm 19 years old, nearly 20, and over the past 3 years I've not been very interested in getting my previsional driving licence as I've had no motivation (mostly due to my depression). In the past I've gotten as far as getting the doctor's note required (from my normal GP) for the licence but have never sent everything off. Yesterday I suddenly had a surge of motivation to get my driving licence, and I was happy and enthusiastic about it. So today, as soon as I woke up, I called the doctors to ask if I needed to make a doctor's appointment to get my letter or if I could simply request it over the phone as I'd gotten it before. The receptionist said that I have to make an appointment to see the diabetic doctor at the surgery, and get him to write my note. My problem with this is that the diabetic doctor at the surgery is a complete a-hole, an utter creep, and literally seems to have NO idea about diabetes (my mother agrees, she's advised in the past that I never go back to see him because of both his attitude and his shoddy diabetes advice - I went to him once with my Mum and his advice was appauling, he had absolutely no idea about anything!!). So apparently the only way I can get the letter required for my previsional licence is to see him. Oh, and guess what? He's booked up for the rest of this week, AND next week, so the earliest appointment I could get is Monday the 17th. I'm upset about this, as I'm moving to Edinburgh for college on the 1st of september, and once I send the doctors note, my photo and my signature away to the licence people it will take up to 10 days for it to get to me (Plus postage getting it to them - so that's about 12/13 days?). This means my licence most likely wouldn't get here before I leave for Edinburgh, and I wanted to get some practice in before I left (Was planning on having a few lessons with my Dad before I left, then pracicing when I came home for visits the odd weekend). Of course, I'm devistated. I've FINALLY gotten the motivation to get my drivers licence, and all of a sudden it's all complicated!

Why do I suddenly have to see the a-hole diabetes doctor for my letter instead of my GP, as I've done in the past and had absolutely no prolem with? What's changed?

Also, I have an appointment at the diabetes clinic in inverness on wednesday the 5th of August (2 days away) and was wondering if they would have the power to write my letter for me instead of the diabetic doctor at the clinic at home?

I mean, I would see no problem with this, but don't know if they'd have the power. I just think that asking them to do it is better than asking the diabetic doctor at home, because they've seen me once every three months for the past.. 10 years? Plus they have all my notes. And the diabetic doctor at home has only ever seen me twice (because of his imcompetance and lack of knowledge).

Would the doctors at the diabetic clinic have it in their power to write me the letter? Or would I have to wait until monday 17th to get a letter from a man who has no idea what he's doing?

Please help. I don't know what to do.

Robyn

lionrampant

Short answer: the DVLA should want a letter from your GP and the contact details of your diabetic clinic doctor. Such is my experience anyway.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Check DVLA website for exactly whatt they want. T1 husband g4ets his renewal through the GP.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Provisional Driving Licence

Hi Viv.

No problem with that link.

However for the totally up to date information direct from the DVLA via a Direct.gov link try here. The DVLA have a habit of changing the rules and not telling anyone, such as Driving Schools etc.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... /index.htm

Ken.