Prof Roy Taylor's work on reversing type 2 diabetes

Tannith

BANNED
@Tannith. If only we had the scanner. I lost way over 15% before I even started the ND and whilst of course that and/or the LCHF diet did bring my BG down, it was heading up and I was having to eat less and less carbs.
I think normal people blip quite a lot actually. There are some good graphs on the ND site which show the average insulin production of the control group and the group on the ND. And remember whilst he says reversed, he mentions in his video's things like wedding cake - and about 75% of the potatoes you ate before so I think you will be looking for shorter and lower lifts - in my opinion. Michael Mosely talks about sticking to the med. diet with no bread and a real occasional desert if he is out which he shares in his blood sugar diet book.
Keep posting - interested to see how the next couple of weeks go for you.
Fleegle I think Prof Taylor's scanner is an especially sensitive one that can actually "see" the fat inside the beta cells instead of just generally in the pancreas (which is apparently quite a fatty organ).I don't think the ones in normal hospitals would work for us. I also can't see ordinary people getting scans to check their pancreatic fat in my lifetime. Dr Unwin used ultrasound scans which do a broad but not hyper accurate scan of liver fat, which would be a rough guide if you could get it. Yesterday I looked longingly at the potatoes on the market stall where I get my veg. I haven't had any potato or mega carbs like grain since March this year. In theory if I can reverse the T2 I ought to be able to eat them again but I should be very cautious and eat them in moderation.PS I forgot, I do eat grains in my home made high fibre muesli. Oats bran and barley flakes with lots of psyllium powder.I eat it at night as it fills me and I don't lie awake hungry.

Last edited:

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Fleegle I think Prof Taylor's scanner is an especially sensitive one that can actually "see" the fat inside the beta cells instead of just generally in the pancreas (which is apparently quite a fatty organ).I don't think the ones in normal hospitals would work for us. I also can't see ordinary people getting scans to check their pancreatic fat in my lifetime. Dr Unwin used ultrasound scans which do a broad but not hyper accurate scan of liver fat, which would be a rough guide if you could get it. Yesterday I looked longingly at the potatoes on the market stall where I get my veg. I haven't had any potato or mega carbs like grain since March this year. In theory if I can reverse the T2 I ought to be able to eat them again but I should be very cautious and eat them in moderation.PS I forgot, I do eat grains in my home made high fibre muesli. Oats bran and barley flakes with lots of psyllium powder.I eat it at night as it fills me and I don't lie awake hungry.
Hi. I did the Newcastle diet just over a year ago. When I finished it I went low carb and my sugars are now fairly stable. I did experiment with eating a bowl of porridge oats a few weeks back , It spiked my sugars into 8's for 4 hours . So the diet, at least for me, is not a "cure". ....more a way of quickly getting blood sugars stable. I rarely think of "carby" food or drink now, despite being a ex - daily baker of "healthy" bread, and brewer of "orgainic real ale" etc. etc. all of which I thought was fairly healthy. There are many "new" foods ' drinks which I've found and am discovering that more than take the place for those I've "lost".

Tannith

BANNED
Hi. I did the Newcastle diet just over a year ago. When I finished it I went low carb and my sugars are now fairly stable. I did experiment with eating a bowl of porridge oats a few weeks back , It spiked my sugars into 8's for 4 hours . So the diet, at least for me, is not a "cure". ....more a way of quickly getting blood sugars stable. I rarely think of "carby" food or drink now, despite being a ex - daily baker of "healthy" bread, and brewer of "orgainic real ale" etc. etc. all of which I thought was fairly healthy. There are many "new" foods ' drinks which I've found and am discovering that more than take the place for those I've "lost".
Orson kartt Do you know how long you had been diabetic before you started ND?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading the details of the goals of the ND study I think one has to be a little careful about what it is designed to achieve and how we can compare it ourselves in terms of telling us that we can use VLC to somehow improve where we already are - (for many of us) .

Co-primary endpoints : Reduction in weight of 15 kg (assumed equal on average to 15 %) or more at one year;
Remission of diabetes (HbA1c <48 mmol/mol) at 1 year.

Secondary endpoints =Quality of life ,Physical Activity,Serum Lipids,Liver function tests, Urea & Electrolytes, plasma glucose
Programme acceptability.

There are literally dozens of people on here that have already achieved exactly those things, including me, with the low carb approach recommended here. In addition, the vast majority of the people here would already be excluded from the trial simply because they already lost 5 kg from adopting a low carb diet- most of us do that within a very short period.

For all of us who have now brought our Hba1C and weight down sufficient to achieve both the normal and secondary endpoints of the study, we are may also be in a position where we also already recorded the very same changes in insulin responses as are outlined in the study. We do not know because we do not have the before and after tests.
If we are actually starting off our 8 week VLC with having already achieved the parameters set out - then we are not comparing like with like at all.

For me personally I do have blood tests after 8 weeks of LCHF adoption 8 weeks hba1C 92> 64 weight loss 15% of body weight ( 1 yr Hba1C 42 total weight loss 23%). Those show that I was moving closer to achieving both primary and secondary endpoints at 8 weeks and by one year I had done, just as the study hopes it will prove. I just don't have the sophisticated data tables to show what my body did to make that happen including my insulin secretion rates . - I would expect that if I did then it would tell a similar story to the study. I do know that I have got gradually closer to normalising my fasting insulin ( now 8 normal range 2-25 goal 4 iUI/ml )and my HOMA test of insulin resistance which presumably would be entirely consistent with the more sophisticated tests the study has access to .

The actual protocol for dealing with weight regain is frankly quite frightening. I completely understand why Dr Taylor is sticking with the establishment protocol regarding low fat, Eatwell plate recommendations . However we may well find that because he is doing that, the research results will actually result in a delay in doing what really needs to be done- which is to help people change their approach to nutrition overall.

"Relapse management for weight regain or re-emergence of diabetes. If weight regain occurs, or if diabetes is found to have
returned (HbA1c >= 48 mmol/mol) at any time during the 18-month weight loss maintenance stage,rescue plans to reverse weight gain will be offered.
1) Weight regain of >2 kg: offer the use of TDR to replace one or two main-meal per day for 4 weeks,offer orlistat 120 mg tid, with each meal.
2) Weight gain of >4 kg, or to <15 kg below starting weight or if diabetes recurs: offer 4 weeks TDR with fortnightly practice nurse/dietitian review and then a 2 – 4 week FR (as described above). Individualised dietary advice, based on the Eatwell guidelines [24],and physical activity targets will be reinforced for weight loss maintenance. Orlistat treatment, as above, will be offered for the remainder of the weight loss maintenance period, with repeat advice to restrict dietary fat ."

Neither of these remedial actions is close to actually assisting people to properly change their eating habits as opposed to making it some kind of medical intervention.

I personally will be quite surprised if Orlistat remains on the market for too much longer - frankly trying to keep my weight down by preventing fat to be absorbed by a process the involves potential anal leakage, taking a fibrogel supplement whilst also eating the Eatwell plate- full of relatively empty carbohydrates when instead one could recommend a proper nutrient rich real food diet - strikes me as just bizarre. (though understandable in terms of trying to get " buy in" in the current situation )

I am also surprised to find that the testing protocol does not specifically state fasting insulin at the start and end points - though this may be included as a " novel" test.

Whilst I hope the Professor Taylor succeeds in helping those who have not succeeded in losing weight through traditional means, to lose weight using powders - (something that has been use for years as a means of fast weight loss), I think it is a huge pity that if it is successful the focus will turn to yet more industrially produced powder and potions including artificial fibres, as opposed to encouraging a return to eating real foods through a low carb diet as a means of getting rapid weight loss.

The presentation also continues to make the assumption that weight is simply " calories in versus calories out " where you can " eat anything" in his words. I simply don't believe that, that is true. The world has seen a 300% increase in Om6 over 30 years , the human body now has double the insulin response it used to do (both Lustig Fat Chance ) Yes we have seen an increase in diabetes and obesity, but we have seen a huge rise in other things too and that is also a function of the type of foodstuffs one chooses to eat,controlling your weight through continuing to eat it just in smaller quantities is not necessarily going to mitigate the problem with that food ( especially sugar and om6 oils) other than at the margins.

Professor Tim Noakes in South Africa is constructing a trial where he intends to have participants follow an actual LCHF diet, and compare that with an actual HCLF diet (i.e. the ND remedial recommendation).

http://thenoakesfoundation.org/port...-reverseimprove-type-2-diabetes-mellitus-t2dm

That trial is being based on the actual results of self reported LCHF participants ( including me) using real foods. I think that that trial will tell me far more about what actually happened as a result of my own weight loss and whether I can continue that process sufficient to " cure" my diabetes as opposed to simply keeping it at bay than the ND results ever can.

Dr Taylor makes the point that if one can get the weight down and "KEEP IT DOWN" then you can eat anything you want and still keep diabetes in check. I would question whether in fact it is actually possible to keep it down simply by eating smaller proportions of rubbish foods. If it were, then given the focus on being slim that pervades our society, there would be far more examples of people managing to lose weight and keep it down following standard low calorie diets or keeping it off after a period of very low calories.

It is great that Dr Taylor is giving much more publicity that diabetes can be put into remission, just a huge pity the background to it all is a basic misunderstanding about what a healthy diet actually is , which Dr Taylor then has to work with in conducting his study.

Reactions: Salvia and kokhongw

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Co-primary endpoints : Reduction in weight of 15 kg (assumed equal on average to 15 %) or more at one year;
Remission of diabetes (HbA1c <48 mmol/mol) at 1 year.

Secondary endpoints =Quality of life ,Physical Activity,Serum Lipids,Liver function tests, Urea & Electrolytes, plasma glucose
Programme acceptability.

I passed all those end points in 5 months, and that was before I went very low carb. I was still eating 50 to 80g carbs at the end of that 8 months. So, low carb with full fat but not very low carb. It was around 1200 calories on average. I went very low carb a few months later and increased fats and protein as I needed to increase calories to stop more weight loss. My diet was and remains sustainable, and has been so for getting on for 4 years with no yo-yo weight gain/loss and BS levels continue to improve.

Maybe I was just lucky, but despite all this I am still only a well controlled diabetic. I have no illusions that I am reversed. Perhaps I am now thin on the outside and fat on the inside. Who knows!

Reactions: lindisfel

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I passed all those end points in 5 months, and that was before I went very low carb. I was still eating 50 to 80g carbs at the end of that 8 months. So, low carb with full fat but not very low carb. It was around 1200 calories on average. I went very low carb a few months later and increased fats and protein as I needed to increase calories to stop more weight loss. My diet was and remains sustainable, and has been so for getting on for 4 years with no yo-yo weight gain/loss and BS levels continue to improve.

Maybe I was just lucky, but despite all this I am still only a well controlled diabetic. I have no illusions that I am reversed. Perhaps I am now thin on the outside and fat on the inside. Who knows!

I've seen way too many declarations of " remission" , "cure", "reversal" coming from all sorts of places. My personal view would be that its likely that none of them are anything more than " well controlled" where actually being a well controlled person with diabetes is quite likely to result in one have less chance of actual disease in general than being a non diagnosed person still eating a rubbish diet with an unknown level of insulin which for whatever reason has not yet spilled over into diabetes or a diagnosed illness.

Its quite clear that weight loss on LCHF is sustainable simply because we have many examples of people doing that. Its also quite clear that this method can lead to the kind of health improvements everyone is looking for. The quicker that gets into the public domain the better. I just don't want that to be lost in the euphoria of sending out a message that VLC with powders can bring down diabetes and weight quickly when so can a proper diet with so many other benefits.

Tannith

BANNED
2) Weight gain of >4 kg, or to <15 kg below starting weight or if diabetes recurs: offer 4 weeks TDR with fortnightly practice nurse/dietitian review and then a 2 – 4 week FR (as described above). Individualised dietary advice, based on the Eatwell guidelines [24],and physical activity targets will be reinforced for weight loss maintenance. Orlistat treatment, as above, will be offered for the remainder of the weight loss maintenance period, with repeat advice to restrict dietary fat ." What is "FR"?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2) Weight gain of >4 kg, or to <15 kg below starting weight or if diabetes recurs: offer 4 weeks TDR with fortnightly practice nurse/dietitian review and then a 2 – 4 week FR (as described above). Individualised dietary advice, based on the Eatwell guidelines [24],and physical activity targets will be reinforced for weight loss maintenance. Orlistat treatment, as above, will be offered for the remainder of the weight loss maintenance period, with repeat advice to restrict dietary fat ." What is "FR"?

I believe that FR stands for " structured food reintroduction" TDR is the formula shakes. So basically if you put on 4kg its back to the VLC shakes and starting again for another 4 weeks then another month of reintroducing the Eatwell plate plus high carb low fat, Orlistat assisted diet. Quite frankly the chances of anyone getting a great deal of success in controlling diabetes in their patients for anything other than a few weeks on that regime sounds slim at best.

Why on earth the concept would not be - using Dr Unwin's food protocol that has already won NHS awards and clearly works longer term, with maybe kickstarting the process with an introductory VLC based on low carb principles, when determination is at its highest ( pretty much what most newly diagnosed people who come onto this website do when they decide to give it a go with almost miraculous results) is anyone's guess.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Couldn't agree more re. this. At my age and various physical issues, there was no way I could keep upping exercise to try and control BG. It had to be diet.

For that same reason, I didn't immediately jump to lowest carbs possible. I followed Jenny Ruhl's advice to gradually reduce to a level that gave me levels within my target range. Once I felt like I was running on automatic, I started some intermittent fasting. I'm not going to force myself into things in hopes of some magical cure. I'm happy with the level of carbs, happy with my A1c and happy to tinker with bits and pieces. I'm also convinced that LCHF is the best way of eating for my continued good health, regardless of diabetes.

Always bothers me when I see people taking things to extremes - what do you do if it doesn't work when you've convinced yourself it will? Fall off the wagon is the mostly likely outcome, IMO.

Hello !
I was diagnosed type 2 in Oct.2016, HbA1c of 48....

I did the low calorie Newcastle diet, and got my morning FBS levels down to normal in less than a month.

Then I went on with Low Carb Hi Fat .

I took it to extremes as you mention.
Unfortunately constipation became so bad , and frightened me so much, together with my emaciated appearance, that after a year I went back to a normal diet in Nov. 2017

I was getting too stressed over the whole business of self- treating with no support.

My NHS GP system was to refer all diabetic patients to a diabetic nurse, who preached out of date dietary advice and the acceptance of helplessness …. and who knew less, I found , than I did about metabolism, cholesterol, small dense LDL, the ND diet etc.
After my year of diet and exercise , to bypass the system I had to pay privately to see a consultant endocrinologist .

Sadly I found out he was of the old school - eat normally and take drugs and accept that it is an irreversibe progressive disease, like old age !
However I am now monitoring less often, ie rather than pricking my finger each morning , I am just doing HbA1c every few months.
My HbA1c levels over the last year were 48 to start, then 39 , 40 , 41 , which could seem like it's increasing but my private endocrinologist said that variation was '' not statistically significant ''.
I lost weight from 75 to 55 kg, which was too light for me. Now I am back on a normal diet I am up to 60 kg. Waist seems to be expanding .
So it is ' wait and see ' for me.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Maybe the 48% who reversed only developed diabetes due to obesity and strangled organs due to too much fat? Hence the reversal.

I'm sure my IR is the reason for all my ailments and autoimmune attacks from bell's palsy, pcos and ruptured appendix and possible fibromyalgia. Even scatica and bulging discs with mild atherosclerosis could be caused too. Inflammation flare ups but just mild, not arthritis.

We are all different.
Once again it's evident not all type2 diabetes is caused the same way, so not curable, the same way?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hello !
I was diagnosed type 2 in Oct.2016, HbA1c of 48....

I did the low calorie Newcastle diet, and got my morning FBS levels down to normal in less than a month.

Then I went on with Low Carb Hi Fat .

I took it to extremes as you mention.
Unfortunately constipation became so bad , and frightened me so much, together with my emaciated appearance, that after a year I went back to a normal diet in Nov. 2017

I was getting too stressed over the whole business of self- treating with no support.

My NHS GP system was to refer all diabetic patients to a diabetic nurse, who preached out of date dietary advice and the acceptance of helplessness …. and who knew less, I found , than I did about metabolism, cholesterol, small dense LDL, the ND diet etc.
After my year of diet and exercise , to bypass the system I had to pay privately to see a consultant endocrinologist .

Sadly I found out he was of the old school - eat normally and take drugs and accept that it is an irreversibe progressive disease, like old age !
However I am now monitoring less often, ie rather than pricking my finger each morning , I am just doing HbA1c every few months.
My HbA1c levels over the last year were 48 to start, then 39 , 40 , 41 , which could seem like it's increasing but my private endocrinologist said that variation was '' not statistically significant ''.
I lost weight from 75 to 55 kg, which was too light for me. Now I am back on a normal diet I am up to 60 kg. Waist seems to be expanding .
So it is ' wait and see ' for me.
That's a shame.
Mine doesn't know much about how successful the 'fad' diet is but he'll see for himself soon. Don't have to see him til about April/May. He saw some weight loss last time I saw him but not the nearly 4st I've lost this year in total.
I guess mine is only half fad as I'm only doing low carb and medium to low fat.
He was delighted with my efforts to date. I think the thyroid did work properly for a change so hugely easier to lose weight when thyroid is right!

Reactions: woodywhippet61

Biggles2

self- treating with no support.
Excellent point @hooha - the current system is set up based on an incorrect paradigm - that the disease is progressive, that 'lifestyle' measures will fail (never mind that the dietary advice itself is seriously flawed and is a driver for metabolic dysfunction) and that the only effective treatment is pharmacological (which treats the hyperglycemia not the underlying physiological defect - so it 'looks good' on paper/and ticks the box for population health level metrics). So, when you are successful in managing your T2 by an alternative dietary approach, you will be on your own because this alternative approach is not recognised, except by an enlightened few.
Thank goodness for the support on this forum, and for pioneers like ourselves who want better outcomes for our health, and who are willing to share our stories, our trials and our tribulations. One day the true value of this approach will be recognised as an incredibly cost-effective way of increasing NHS capacity. That day can't come soon enough.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
BBC news Radio 4 announced this week that Prof Roy Taylor's approach has been vindicated by the results of the latest trial DIRECT [ Diabetes Remission Clinical Trial ] . Perhaps now more NHS GP's will be aware and co operative.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
@Tannith. If only we had the scanner. I lost way over 15% before I even started the ND and whilst of course that and/or the LCHF diet did bring my BG down, it was heading up and I was having to eat less and less carbs.
I think normal people blip quite a lot actually. There are some good graphs on the ND site which show the average insulin production of the control group and the group on the ND. And remember whilst he says reversed, he mentions in his video's things like wedding cake - and about 75% of the potatoes you ate before so I think you will be looking for shorter and lower lifts - in my opinion. Michael Mosely talks about sticking to the med. diet with no bread and a real occasional desert if he is out which he shares in his blood sugar diet book.
Keep posting - interested to see how the next couple of weeks go for you.
Hello Fleegle, Thank you for reminding me about the graphs of average insulin production - I missed that first time.
I have now revisited the lecture he gave on you tube i.e
[ Low calorie diet for Type 2 diabetes research lecture | #DPC16 | ]
and I had not absorbed some parts of it. Too much info to take in at first.
Could you please direct me to the link where he discusses wedding cake and potatoes ? I missed that too.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
All I know is that Prof Taylor's successful subjects lost 15% of their weight. I've since heard somewhere that it should be 15% of your weight at diagnosis. Presumably that would be about where you tipped over your personal fat threshold. But I agree with you its just directional. I would say it was the point at which I would test to see if I could tolerate normal carbs without excessive spikes. (I think normals have mild spikes). I think to be certain you would have to have a posh MRI scanner like Prof Taylor's. I can only just afford to lose 15% of my weight. It would take me down to the middle of my normal range BMI. I would never describe myself as a "thin diabetic", but I was in the middle of the "overweight" BMI range when I started,That was the highest weight I have ever been and I have never been actually obese.
@Tannith It can be 15 kg or 15 % or more ? - you can go down to the bottom of the BMI ''normal '' range, [ 20-25 ] so go to about 20 ? Some people such as SE Asians who are skinny to start with could possible go below 20.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hi tannith - I read that sweet potatoes are less likely to raise blood sugar, and Dr Mosley recommends boiling ordinary potatoes then putting them in the fridge, so they too become less hyperglycaemic o genic [ if that's the correct word ] I think you then eat them cold !

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Fleegle, Thank you for reminding me about the graphs of average insulin production - I missed that first time.
I have now revisited the lecture he gave on you tube i.e
[ Low calorie diet for Type 2 diabetes research lecture | #DPC16 | ]
and I had not absorbed some parts of it. Too much info to take in at first.
Could you please direct me to the link where he discusses wedding cake and potatoes ? I missed that too.

Not really if I am honest.
In one of the youtube video's he is being kind of interviewed by someone who did it and "reversed" their T2. In that video he says something about eating wedding cake something like "everyone loves a piece of wedding cake it is delicious"
There I also another well quoted piece where he says you might have to cut down your potatoes from x to y (which still sounded like a lot to me) but though I have read that too I haven't got it indexed.

TBH I have read and watch so many vidoes, research papers it all blurs a bit. Sorry I cannot be more specific - if I come across it again I will be sure to post the link.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi tannith - I read that sweet potatoes are less likely to raise blood sugar, and Dr Mosley recommends boiling ordinary potatoes then putting them in the fridge, so they too become less hyperglycaemic o genic [ if that's the correct word ] I think you then eat them cold !
Not exactly. The cook and cool method is said to lower the impact of starches and the food is reheated and then eaten. Best to try this with a small portion, though, and obviously test before and after. I tried this and found that cooked and cooled (best left overnight in the fridge) rice was ok-ish but in such a small portion that it was a bit of a faff to do it just for myself. The potatoes, however, still raised my bg unacceptably even with a small portion. I did not try the sweet potatoes as I find that a small portion (maybe equating to a 2" piece with an otherwise very low carb meal is OK for me. We have to experiment with foods. NB Are you aware that of all potatoes of any type roasted or baked sweet potatoes have been shown to raise bg the most?

Tannith

BANNED
@Tannith It can be 15 kg or 15 % or more ? - you can go down to the bottom of the BMI ''normal '' range, [ 20-25 ] so go to about 20 ? Some people such as SE Asians who are skinny to start with could possible go below 20.
That trial - the second one, used people who had an average weight of 100 kg. So 15 kg was 15% of their weight. Even that was a guesstimate as the actual amount it was necessary to lose was down to their "personal fat threshold" You can only tell if you have got there by using Taylor's super scanner which shows the amount of fat in the pancreas and liver accurately. However he tells us that in his subjects the PFT turned out to be aaround 15% of their weight. That would account for how thin diabetics need to lose less. I have read that some thin diabetics can reverse their T2 by losing only a couple of kg. The personal fat threshhold varies from person to person and does not necessarily tally with ideal BMI. Some people tip over into diabetes at a lower fat level than others. Some, as Prof Taylor says in his video, will get down to their PFT and still be obese/overweight/above the minimum of normal, as they were before, just less fat than previously. Without a super scanner you can only lose 15% of your weight then try eating normally again and see if you hve non diabetic BG. If not tweak it a bit, lose a bit more and test again.

Reactions: ringi

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Or just do the 8 week, then go back to “eating to your meter”, and your meter should allow you a few more carbs and/or protein.