Diet only
Part 78 - Deposition by Dr Caryn Zinn, Whole-food dietitian and nutritionist:

Reactions: Salvia

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone know when the hearing stops and when verdict is given?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Early April I think.

Correction: April 3-4 for final arguments and April 21 for ruling.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A recent long interview with Prof Noakes for those interested:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The verdict is in - from Marika Sboros' Twitter coverage: HPCSA has not proven that @ ProfTimNoakes was acting as a MD or gave medical advice. At worst TN's info was confusing and unclear. Committee finds @ ProfTimNoakes NOT GUILTY.

C97cQoWW0AEzvMs.jpg

lindisfel

Expert
Seems like the court gives a ruling like Scottish law. I think not proven is a little grudging in view of all the unnecessary flak he has taken. Therefore they seem to given both not proven and not guilty? D.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again, @Indy51 for your timely update info - always very much appeciated.

So glad to hear this result, though, in my mind, it could never be anything else really. I have been wondering how they would fudge their response sufficiently to "save face" for the dietitians; they appear to have achieved that quite well (assuming that Marika Sboros' tweet is taken from the wording of their decision). I didn't find his initial reponse in the tweet confusing or unclear - particularly as his conversation with the mother was cut short abruptly with the assertion that 'you've gone too far this time' (or whatever it was that dietitian said - can't remember exactly right now).

I agree with @lindisfel above, the decision does appear to be a little grudging.
Did they say anything about the unprofessional conduct element?

edit: typo

Last edited:
Reactions: Indy51

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bumping this up the list, as it appears some people have missed the original thread, and there are now 2-3 on the go - though, probably is good to have a range of info sources about this very important case. :)

On the plus side, we can only hope that the publicity that has been around Tim Noakes and the trial will reap rewards - it's unlikely that lchf would have got so much air-time and advertising so quickly.

edit: typo

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And wouldn't you know it - now some uptight dietitian in NZ has raised a FOI enquiry about how Prof Grant Schofield was appointed by the Ministry of Education to advise on children's health:

"Dear Ministry of Education,
Dr Schofield's research interests include areas of nutrition controversy, and he makes public statements that are in conflict with the current Ministry of Health recommendations on Diet and Nutrition. I am concerned this is going to result in greater confusion for the public and poorer health outcomes due to a lack of coordinated effort on childhood obesity

1) Please can you provide me with the document outlining the scope and remit of the Chief Education Health and Nutrition Advisor?
2) Please can you provide the documentation outlining the process followed in the appointment of Dr Schofield to this role.
3) Please can you advise which organisation with interest in either child health or nutrition were consulted by the Ministry of Education as part of the process of making the appointment to this position?
4) What processes are being initiated by the Ministry of Education to ensure that any work done on childhood health and nutrition is done to create a synergy between the work of the Ministry of Health and this new role in Ministry of Education?

Yours faithfully,

Helen Gibbs
New Zealand Registered Dietitian"

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So glad it's all over Indy. Thank goodness. What a man.