Prof Tim Noakes

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Tim deserves a Nobel prize. A truly great man.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Delicious irony - in their attempts to silence him, they've succeeded in unleashing the Kraken (aka Tim Noakes):

Love it! Couldn't agree more :D:D

Bet there are a few dietitians kicking themselves right now .....

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG - these people must have bottomless pockets. Their members should be asking for an accounting of where the money is coming from.

According to Tim Noakes' twitter feed, the HPCSA are appealing the judgement in his favour :rolleyes:

Reactions: Salvia

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Crikey! They must be gluttons for punishment. The mind boggles :wideyed:

Wonder what their grounds for appeal will be.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Gazzamius, I think some lagers are very low in carbs but it ain't real ale! :) D
WOW ! ..... have to say one of the most honest conference videos i have ever seen.... i have been a firm believer for a year or so now to the LCHF diet... and i am feeling real changes. i have reduced my carb intake to around 20/30 grams a day. mostly vegetable based. and eat high amounts of saturated fat. coconut oil, butter, olive oil. lamb. beef chicken etc... but back to the video. i find a lot of sites now promoting LCHF diets are out to make money. without having the knowledge and studies being carried out by people like Tim Noakes. good honest professional that aren't afraid of disbelieving conventional wisdom on diets and proving more and more that this is a good way to treat diabetes and possibly reverse it. i will keep on with my LCHF diet and report back any changes as to my well being. so far it's looking good. i just have to knock the beer on the head ;)

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks once again, @Indy51. Love the updates.

One quote to take away from this, mentioned by the female host as having been made at the end of an earlier talk by Tim Noakes (maybe stick it on my fridge door !): "We're changing the way the world eats - one meal at a time"

:)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to learn about diabetes and also support the work of The Noakes Foundation, check out this new book: http://diabetesunpacked.com/

What's in the book?
Setting the scene
Ch1 - What is the scale of the problem?
Mike Gibbs - Ourpath

Ch2 – What is diabetes?
Dr Malcolm Kendrick

Ch3 – What causes type 2 diabetes
Dr Jason Fung

Ch4 - Who gets Type 2 diabetes?
Dr Robert Cywes

The different types of diabetes
Ch5 – Type 1 diabetes
Dr Ian lake

Ch6 – Type 2 diabetes
Lars-Erik Litsfeldt

Ch7 – Fixing dad
Jen Whittington

Practitioners
Ch8 – How did a LFHC dietician become LCHF?
Dr Caryn Zinn

Ch9 – Why and how should we monitor glucose levels?
Dr Neville Wellington

Ch10 – The diabetes epidemic, is it about just too much sugar, what happens when it’s cut?
Dr David Unwin

The big issues
Ch11 – Why do we eat so much carbohydrate?
Dr Zoë Harcombe

Ch12 – Why do diabetics die of heart disease?
Dr Jeffry Gerber & Ivor Cummins

Ch13 – Why are low carbohydrate high fat diets best for all persons with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and for almost all athletes.
Professor Tim Noakes

Ch 14 – Why change will be bottom-up (The politics of food)
Nina Teicholz

Case Studies

Reactions: Banting_Coach

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A very good article, a well thought out and presented argument. I found this refreshing, since I too try to follow the same principles, having developed a sensitive Bulls**t detector mechnism myself.

One group of nutritionist bloggers/ magazine authors I have particular difficulty with are the Health & Fitness / body building fraternity. Magazines such as Nature spring to mind.

I am not personally a follower of Tim Noakes, but I support his basic research efforts. I think his advice is more aligned to athletes and as a sedentary person, I think my dietary needs should be different. However, I am pleased that his recent legal battle is now resolved in his favour.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to learn about diabetes and also support the work of The Noakes Foundation, check out this new book: http://diabetesunpacked.com/

What's in the book?
Setting the scene
Ch1 - What is the scale of the problem?
Mike Gibbs - Ourpath

Ch2 – What is diabetes?
Dr Malcolm Kendrick

Ch3 – What causes type 2 diabetes
Dr Jason Fung

Ch4 - Who gets Type 2 diabetes?
Dr Robert Cywes

The different types of diabetes
Ch5 – Type 1 diabetes
Dr Ian lake

Ch6 – Type 2 diabetes
Lars-Erik Litsfeldt

Ch7 – Fixing dad
Jen Whittington

Practitioners
Ch8 – How did a LFHC dietician become LCHF?
Dr Caryn Zinn

Ch9 – Why and how should we monitor glucose levels?
Dr Neville Wellington

Ch10 – The diabetes epidemic, is it about just too much sugar, what happens when it’s cut?
Dr David Unwin

The big issues
Ch11 – Why do we eat so much carbohydrate?
Dr Zoë Harcombe

Ch12 – Why do diabetics die of heart disease?
Dr Jeffry Gerber & Ivor Cummins

Ch13 – Why are low carbohydrate high fat diets best for all persons with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and for almost all athletes.
Professor Tim Noakes

Ch 14 – Why change will be bottom-up (The politics of food)
Nina Teicholz

Case Studies

Thanks for the link @Indy51 - I have pre-ordered.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Book I'm very much looking forward to reading: Lore of Nutrition: Challenging conventional dietary beliefs by Prof Tim Noakes and Marika Sboros. Marika has tweeted that the book is being printed and should be available early November 2017 :)

Should be some very interesting revelations about the "trial". Apparently the Prof has asked 3 universities that supported the dietitian's case against him to respond to the science he detailed in the trial. <sound of crickets> was the non-response.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only