Professor Stephen Hawking

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mother Nature dealt this man a bad hand but he had a fine brain and persevered with grace and humour in an endless quest for knowledge which he shared with the world. He must have suffered and with our own challenges we could do worse than be inspired by him, if just for today. :watching:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes.
To have lived to such a good age with the physical constraints he had, and achieve such brilliant accomplishments, is awe inspiring.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Great post @PenguinMum - he was an incredibly inspiring and brilliant man, the greatest brain of our time.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He is also the voice of the book in the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, in it's latest incarnation on BBC Radio 4 at 18:30 on Thursdays - you can't be more quintessential than that.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He was certainly an inspirational and brilliant man RIP

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
His legacy is awe inspiring. What spirit!

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He inspired three generations of my family to look up in wonder and think beyond what we can see. He's always inspired me to find humour in everything and to be more than my current problems / illnesses. He was a man of grace, of vision, who was in love with the world as much as he was in love with the sky.

Today is also Pi Day (3.14) and Einstein's birthday. For man who once said "There is no such thing as coincidence", I am smiling through tears that his legacy has been tied so firmly to science and discovery, even in death.

Look up in wonder and be curious. (And read A Brief History Of Time if you haven't already!)

Sock x

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
One of the finest minds of our time, social justice campaigner and fighter for the NHS.
A truly astonishing man.
RIP

CB4FA14E-EE8C-492B-96CE-F52F1ED2A9E5.jpeg

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I enjoyed his appearances on The Simpson's and The Big Bang Theory!

His humour never diminished in the face of adversity.

He will be missed in the physics community!

R.I.P!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Mother Nature dealt this man a bad hand but he had a fine brain and persevered with grace and humour in an endless quest for knowledge which he shared with the world. He must have suffered and with our own challenges we could do worse than be inspired by him, if just for today. :watching:
I thought the same thing when I heard of his death.
I asked my hubby. "do you think he was in pain?" :(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We were indeed luck to have him.

Now he goes to where he can do even more to help but...... Like he said even brexit, isn't for him... mathematically wise.
Teresa May has got alot on.
Once the jobs done, they will turn on her, they always do.

Stephen was a inspiration to my kids. Of which I'll never forget.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I thought the same thing when I heard of his death.
I asked my hubby. "do you think he was in pain?" :(

I once saw him in an interview (I think it was with Dara O'Brien) and he was asked that question. His answer was that MND does not cause pain itself but that he had pain when he had been in the same position for too long etc. In the film of his life he also explains to a colleague that sex was no problem as the signals are sent through different pathways. He always came across as a very open, honest guy who just got on with the business of being a total genius. His appearance in Star Trek Generations showed his humour, his life story showed his vulnerability but he showed us the stars.

Reactions: UserABC2021

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think he was one of those guys that you just wished you could of had the privilege of meeting. I have his book, probably should read it again, it's a great read. I bought a telescope because of people like him. It's sad to see him gone, but he isn't really gone at the same time. He'll continue to inspire people and live on in so many ways. We have been blessed to of had this amazing man show us so much about life, spirit and of course, his life's work.