Protein bread

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just doing my weekly shop and saw this. Anyone know if it's any good?
bbeb3d3d8fd407e18b8038c352aa7699.jpg
40ebc8ac1fc69843229e05183f9a7b47.jpg

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like a type of pumpernickel. Where did you see it?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Typed in the Asda search for the bread and its not coming up. Looked in the speciality bread part and its is not there

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Typed in the Asda search for the bread and its not coming up. Looked in the speciality bread part and its is not there
That's strange, I just searched and found it again. Were you signed in? Maybe it's available in my area but not yours?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://groceries.asda.com/product/bakery/schneider-brot-protein-bread/910003058887

Shame Asda is such a long drive away.

Looks good with regards to the carbohydrates. 7.9 grams per 100 grams is better (I think) than the Lidl rolls.
I wonder what it tastes like?
I live miles away from one too but get my week's shopping delivered as shops local to me are rubbish for things like this.

I'm ordering some to arrive on Monday so I will report back what it's like

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very interesting - thanks! But buyers beware - Schneider Brot make lots of breads with names similar to this but with lots more carbs. As far as I can find out, this one is only available from Asda.

Reactions: Jancrystal

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I followed the ASDA link and there are a lot of "Protein" items but only this bread seems low carb. What market are high protein items aimed at, maybe vegetarian body builders?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I followed the ASDA link and there are a lot of "Protein" items but only this bread seems low carb. What market are high protein items aimed at, maybe vegetarian body builders?
Body builders, not just vegetarian ones. Many of them are not very bright AND have no idea of nutrition. They believe that the more low calorie, high protein food they consume the more muscular they will become. They have no idea that the amount of protein we can absorb at any one time is quite limited. Many have not even grasped that protein comes in many forms, often without a label proclaiming the amount. I have seen one at my gym eat a whole tin of tuna and then hastily reach for a high protein shake to feed his muscles. Even dafter, the high protein fashion threatens to take over from the low gluten one in the general population, who seem to imagine that if we eat like body builders, our muscles will grow all by themselves without our taking the trouble to exercise them.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Body builders, not just vegetarian ones. Many of them are not very bright AND have no idea of nutrition. They believe that the more low calorie, high protein food they consume the more muscular they will become. They have no idea that the amount of protein we can absorb at any one time is quite limited. Many have not even grasped that protein comes in many forms, often without a label proclaiming the amount. I have seen one at my gym eat a whole tin of tuna and then hastily reach for a high protein shake to feed his muscles. Even dafter, the high protein fashion threatens to take over from the low gluten one in the general population, who seem to imagine that if we eat like body builders, our muscles will grow all by themselves without our taking the trouble to exercise them.
I have eaten the Lidl High Protein rolls (for their low carb content) almost every day for nearly 2 years and I am a perfect example of the fact that it does not increase muscles.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have eaten the Lidl High Protein rolls (for their low carb content) almost every day for nearly 2 years and I am a perfect example of the fact that it does not increase muscles.
Maybe if you had truly believed your muscles would grow after each roll, it would have come true. Another current fashion in sport is the belief in mind over matter.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
That's strange, I just searched and found it again. Were you signed in? Maybe it's available in my area but not yours?
I am in Yorkshire and yes I was signed in. I was wondering the same thing. Maybe not selling in my area.

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Turns out I won't be reporting back what it's like, it wasn't in stock so they are sending me a substitute of rye and sunflower seed bread.

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I found it in Asda yesterday, it tastes sort of similar to the Lidl rolls. I had one slice with no ill effects.

There are five "slices" in the 250g ack, so each slice is 50g, so just halve the 100g nutritional value. So just under 4g of carbs per slice.

Reactions: Serena51

Velour

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just bought some at Asda Had a slice. Taste wise very nice, not as strong a flavour that you get with rye breads.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get this every week at the Asda in Accrington I like the taste and the carb content . I have it with butter and cream cheese and Marmite or pate ,it freezes well .
Carol

Reactions: Tone E

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks and sounds similar to these German protein breads which I can get delivered from Ocado or Amazon
https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Carbzone-Low-Carb-Protein-Plus-Bread/386867011
https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Carbzone-Low-Carb-Protein-Bread/304465011
Both freeze well, the second one also has a longer shelf life than the other
I find most things labelled protein bread have quiite a high carb count and send my sugars bonkers, but these are perfect for my body
Edit - tastewise I prefer the 2nd one of the two Ive given links for - it also toasts better

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I found an even lower carb protein bread 'chleb proteinowy' at my local Polish delicatessen, - 7.5 percent carbs.

Reactions: Ledzeptt