Protein In Breakfasts

hellofrompaul

Evening all.

Type 2. Metaformin.Controlled by diet & exercise.

I'm doing LOTS of exercise first thing in the morning, and my gym instructor has recommended that I include some protein in my breakfast (usually porridge or eggs & toast)... or have a protein based breakfast.

Not wishing to spend too much additional money on groceries - what would anyone recommend?
Also - what about sugar-free protein drinks? Has anyone used them? Are they "okay" to take etc?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
eggs and bacon.
nothing out of a factory.
no porridge, no toast, keep it simple and carb free.
And ignore the gym instructor unless they have T2.
Or coffee with double cream and train fasted.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all.

Type 2. Metaformin.Controlled by diet & exercise.

I'm doing LOTS of exercise first thing in the morning, and my gym instructor has recommended that I include some protein in my breakfast (usually porridge or eggs & toast)... or have a protein based breakfast.

Not wishing to spend too much additional money on groceries - what would anyone recommend?
Also - what about sugar-free protein drinks? Has anyone used them? Are they "okay" to take etc?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Eggs are an excellent source of protein and only contain 0.6g carbs per large egg. So maybe increase the number you eat? I may be wrong, but I suspect that the protein drinks you mention will work out more expensive than real food. Also, it is important to check the labels, as the cheaper brands especially usually do contain a lot of added stuff that you might be better off avoiding. NB being sugar free does not guarantee carb free, and carbs also raise bg, not just sugars. Other cheap sources of protein are tinned and frozen fish. I buy their own brand tinned mackerel from Tesco and frozen wild salmon from Iceland - both reasonably priced. Total 5% fat yoghurt only contains 3g carbs per 100g and is another good source of protein. I like it sweetened with Erythritol, which I buy online as it seems impossible to find over the counter. Finally, my go-to portable protein snack for the gym is cheese. Again, do check the labels as the carb content varies from nil to around 3g per 100g.

D

Deleted member 308541

Bacon and eggs, steak and eggs, eggs eggs and more eggs in different shapes and form.

Reactions: Lampman

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheese ...
I have cheese with coffee & cream for my breakfast - plenty protien in the cheese ;)

Hotpepper20000

I Box three times a week with nothing but coffee and 36”%fat cream in my stomach. And of course I drink water if I am thirsty.
I don’t eat until three to four hours after my work out. I would treat your trainers advice with skepticism.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you haven’t already read it, you may be interested in this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Performance/dp/0983490716
I bought this book but was very disappointed in it. I was particularly put off by the publicity for an obscure dietary supplement which supposedly helps the athlete speed up because it is derived from a very speedy wasp! Several of the few testimonials from athletes as to the benefit of a keto diet actually attributed their success largely to this supplement. I was desperate for useful advice as to how to exercise well on a VLC diet but I don't think I learned anything useful at all. This was one of the few books I have ever bought which I felt was a complete waste of money.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look into Prof Tim Noakes. He is Southafrican and a big noise in the low carb community. He is also a runner and improved his performance buy cutting carbs.

Reactions: Speedbird

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I would stick with real foods as per previous posts eggs.bacon, low carb sausages maybe, .

As for protein shakes they are not cheap well the better ones any way.
but if you realy want to try them

My grandson has used them to help with body building.

This one quite often it is quite low in carbs and he was or is on a keto diet.

optimum nutrition gold standard whey protein powder

Nutritional Information Per Serving (based on Double Rich Chocolate flavour)
Energy: 113 kcal / 474 kJ.
Fat: 1.1 g. of which Saturates: 0.7 g.
Carbohydrates: 1.8 g. of which Sugars: 1.2 g.
Fibre: 0.6 g.
Protein: 23.9 g.
Salt: 0.185 g.
Sodium: 74 mg.
Calcium: 141 mg.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
optimum nutrition gold standard whey protein powder

Nutritional Information Per Serving (based on Double Rich Chocolate flavour)
Energy: 113 kcal / 474 kJ.
Fat: 1.1 g. of which Saturates: 0.7 g.
Carbohydrates: 1.8 g. of which Sugars: 1.2 g.
Fibre: 0.6 g.
Protein: 23.9 g.
Salt: 0.185 g.
Sodium: 74 mg.
Calcium: 141 mg.
@hellofrompaul, I am all in favour of consuming plenty of protein, but all the same it is worth bearing in mind that protein does affect bg, though not as much as carbs. I believe some people who inject insulin calculate 1g protein as needing half as much insulin as 1g carbs, so 1 Serving of this whey powder = almost 12g carbs .

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eggs are always good as people say, if you are limiting calories. Buying those egg whites in a carton and combining them with a few eggs with yolks is a nice way of making an omelette without wasting the egg yolks. Also making a "porridge" with almond meal, water and a whey based protein powder is what I do, because I miss porridge and a hot breakfast.

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Other
Tired of Eggs and bacon ?
Try sprouted mixed beans salad, full of proteins, right combination can keep it in low carb range too.

Gerds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfairness
Eggs are always good as people say, if you are limiting calories. Buying those egg whites in a carton and combining them with a few eggs with yolks is a nice way of making an omelette without wasting the egg yolks. Also making a "porridge" with almond meal, water and a whey based protein powder is what I do, because I miss porridge and a hot breakfast.

I make a porridge from almond milk and chia seed. Add wee drop of stevia sometimes or a few berries. I used to LOVE porridge and I sometimes worry about the lack of beta 2 Glucans which are good for heart health but have found out other sources now. Ps I am 64, 5 feet tall and lift 90kilos. Diabetes was a gift in some ways!!!

Reactions: Quinn1066

dragongirl

I love mackerel and salmon, but not first thing! I tend to go for cold chicken breast, a hard-boiled egg, cucumber and a couple of radishes - naughtily topped with some mayo! (I'm totally diet controlled T2 and always on the hba1c 5% bench.) I can walk a few miles (maybe 7) with this inside me, but don't train as such, so this may not be helpful.

Cltchris

I swear by baked beans, third of a can, and one slicce of toast. Total 40 carbs, slow release and I can last til lunch....perhaps add slice if bacon or sausage if available. Yum yum, and coffee, if course!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I swear by baked beans, third of a can, and one slicce of toast. Total 40 carbs, slow release and I can last til lunch....perhaps add slice if bacon or sausage if available. Yum yum, and coffee, if course!
What does that do to your blood sugars? T1 or T2?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
naughtily topped with some mayo
I'm not sure if mayo is naughty regarding calories, or carbs, or general unhealthiness? I am under-weight bu tVLC, so high calorie foods are very acceptable to me. I use lashings of Hellman's Real Mayo as a kind of sauce. At only 1.3g carbs per 100g I regard it as almost carb-free. It is a huge plus for me that the eggs in it are free range.