Protein Problem

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
My FBGs, in fact most of my readings have been unusually high over the past few days. My carb intake has remained low (at between 20 and 30g and as low as 5g on a couple of days) but my protein intake has been much higher. I think I read somewhere that some of us are more sensitive to protein than others or maybe I might be very insulin resistant? Am I correct in thinking this? I've had a look through my diet diary and can only see protein as the possible cause - and stress, of course. There's always stress! Anyone got any comments or suggestions for me please?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the reason you changed your diet? Can you change it back to what gave you better bg's?
And apart from stress, there are things like time of month, weather, color of socks and 40 other things that affect our bg, so it could be coincidence as well...

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Protein breaks down into glucose, not as quickly or in the same amounts as carbohydrates but as a type 1 and on a higher protein diet, I cover the protein in my insulin calculation. For example, I need 3 units of insulin to cover 6 ounces of chicken and 1.5 units to cover 12 grams of carbohydrates from vegetables.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What is the reason you changed your diet? Can you change it back to what gave you better bg's?
And apart from stress, there are things like time of month, weather, color of socks and 40 other things that affect our bg, so it could be coincidence as well...
I don't want to lose any more weight so was trying to find a T2 friendly way to increase my calories. I guess protein isn't the way for me. As for time-of-the-month, I haven't seen anything like that for about 12 years (thank god!). I always wear odd socks - maybe I should try pairing them up.....

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Protein breaks down into glucose, not as quickly or in the same amounts as carbohydrates but as a type 1 and on a higher protein diet, I cover the protein in my insulin calculation. For example, I need 3 units of insulin to cover 6 ounces of chicken and 1.5 units to cover 12 grams of carbohydrates from vegetables.
That's interesting - maybe the slow breakdown is making it more difficult to get the FBGs down. I do tend to eat my main meal in the evening.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat my main meal in the evening and notice a higher fasting level if I eat more protein than normal especially if I eat later in the evening, so typically if we eat out and I have something like a steak.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I eat my main meal in the evening and notice a higher fasting level if I eat more protein than normal especially if I eat later in the evening, so typically if we eat out and I have something like a steak.
Thank you for that. It seems to be the same for me and it's good to know it's not my imgination! I'll try having my main meal in the middle of the day, and maybe just the one meal if I can. See how it goes.