Provide your input to parliamentary enquiry on diabetes care

desidiabulum

Hi all:
This year the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Diabetes have launched a yearlong investigation under the theme "Diabetes Care: improving standards and reducing variation".

To support their investigation they need to hear from people affected by diabetes, healthcare professionals, commissioners and policy experts. People with diabetes are invited to submit written evidence using the following guidance:

About the report and call for written evidence:

The Government’s mandate to NHS England sets an objective for a "measurable reduction in variation in management and care for people with diabetes".

The APPG for Diabetes strongly welcomes this commitment and is therefore conducting an inquiry that investigates how to turn this objective into reality.

To do that we need to hear from people living with diabetes, healthcare professionals, commissioners and policy experts. We want to better understand the scale and nature of variation, why it exists and what can be done to improve services and outcomes. The APPG is aware of the need for all recommendations to recognise the financial reality facing the NHS.

This investigation follows a major inquiry by the APPG that reported in 2015 on support and education for diabetes self-management. This report has been widely cited, and improving the take-up of diabetes education courses is now part of the Government’s mandate to NHS England.

We hope that this new inquiry report will be similarly influential amongst decision makers – it will be share with NHS England, the Department of Health, Clinical Commissioning Groups and other decision makers.

Guidance for all written evidence:

We are very grateful to those who help our inquiry by submitting evidence. We will be much better able to use your work if your submission:

 Is a single Word document – or is in a format readable by Word.

 Clearly states who the submission is from and your location.

 Begins with a short summary in bullet point form.

 Is limited to 3,000 words.

Written evidence may be referenced in the final report. If you wish for your evidence to be anonymous please make this clear.

Submissions should be emailed to [email protected] with the subject "APPG Written Evidence Submission – YOUR NAME".

Guiding questions:

Please note that the following questions are for guidance only and should be viewed as a starting point for submissions rather than a restriction upon them.

Diagnosis

How were you diagnosed with diabetes and when?

What resources or information did you receive when you were initially diagnosed?

Care process and treatment outcomes

Are you aware of what essential health checks you should be receiving every year?

Are you aware of what your HbA1c, cholesterol levels and blood pressure levels are? Are you informed on what levels they should be?

Are you made aware of what complications poor management of diabetes care result in?

Healthcare team and planning

Do you feel that the management of your diabetes is supported and do you understand any next steps after each meeting with your healthcare professional?

Do you feel that you have an input into the decisions made for your diabetes care?

What is your relationship with your diabetes care team like? Is this something that is important to you? Is there any aspect of your relationship with your health care team do you feel needs improvement?

Technology

Have you had any issues in accessing diabetes technology to help you manage your diabetes (e.g. blood glucose monitor, test strips, insulin pumps, continuous glucose monitor)?

What does good care mean for you?

In terms of general wellbeing and how diabetes impacts your day to day life, what health outcomes matter the most to you?

The deadline for evidence submission is midnight 31st July 2016.

More information on the investigation and upcoming meetings can be found on the APPG’s website https://diabetes-appg.co.uk/

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all:
This year the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Diabetes have launched a yearlong investigation under the theme "Diabetes Care: improving standards and reducing variation".

To support their investigation they need to hear from people affected by diabetes, healthcare professionals, commissioners and policy experts. People with diabetes are invited to submit written evidence using the following guidance:

About the report and call for written evidence:

The Government’s mandate to NHS England sets an objective for a "measurable reduction in variation in management and care for people with diabetes".

The APPG for Diabetes strongly welcomes this commitment and is therefore conducting an inquiry that investigates how to turn this objective into reality.

To do that we need to hear from people living with diabetes, healthcare professionals, commissioners and policy experts. We want to better understand the scale and nature of variation, why it exists and what can be done to improve services and outcomes. The APPG is aware of the need for all recommendations to recognise the financial reality facing the NHS.

This investigation follows a major inquiry by the APPG that reported in 2015 on support and education for diabetes self-management. This report has been widely cited, and improving the take-up of diabetes education courses is now part of the Government’s mandate to NHS England.

We hope that this new inquiry report will be similarly influential amongst decision makers – it will be share with NHS England, the Department of Health, Clinical Commissioning Groups and other decision makers.

Guidance for all written evidence:

We are very grateful to those who help our inquiry by submitting evidence. We will be much better able to use your work if your submission:

 Is a single Word document – or is in a format readable by Word.

 Clearly states who the submission is from and your location.

 Begins with a short summary in bullet point form.

 Is limited to 3,000 words.

Written evidence may be referenced in the final report. If you wish for your evidence to be anonymous please make this clear.

Submissions should be emailed to [email protected] with the subject "APPG Written Evidence Submission – YOUR NAME".

Guiding questions:

Please note that the following questions are for guidance only and should be viewed as a starting point for submissions rather than a restriction upon them.

Diagnosis

How were you diagnosed with diabetes and when?

What resources or information did you receive when you were initially diagnosed?

Care process and treatment outcomes

Are you aware of what essential health checks you should be receiving every year?

Are you aware of what your HbA1c, cholesterol levels and blood pressure levels are? Are you informed on what levels they should be?

Are you made aware of what complications poor management of diabetes care result in?

Healthcare team and planning

Do you feel that the management of your diabetes is supported and do you understand any next steps after each meeting with your healthcare professional?

Do you feel that you have an input into the decisions made for your diabetes care?

What is your relationship with your diabetes care team like? Is this something that is important to you? Is there any aspect of your relationship with your health care team do you feel needs improvement?

Technology

Have you had any issues in accessing diabetes technology to help you manage your diabetes (e.g. blood glucose monitor, test strips, insulin pumps, continuous glucose monitor)?

What does good care mean for you?

In terms of general wellbeing and how diabetes impacts your day to day life, what health outcomes matter the most to you?

The deadline for evidence submission is midnight 31st July 2016.

More information on the investigation and upcoming meetings can be found on the APPG’s website https://diabetes-appg.co.uk/

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm just mindful it was sliding down the lists, so this should bring it back up to the top in the busy evening traffic.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Brilliant.. I'm getting involved with this.. Going to ask my health care team whether they are too!!

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just trying to find where the written evidence is actually submitted to though....

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Sorry I can't do any input as I live in Scotland but if I lived in England I would glad to get involved. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
They give a good lot of suggested questions to answer...

desidiabulum

Many thanks to all who have responded. Do please have a think about this everyone. Lots of people on the forum are very eloquent about problems and positives of diabetes care and how they have dealt with it. This is your chance to feed your experiences to people who might make some important changes. As we all know, proper diabetes management is to some extent a matter of correct information rather than expense, and politicians are potentially very open to that sort of an argument if it can be presented via effective case studies.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Absolutely...

Nothing happens unless time is taken to inform people....

Take this opportunity...

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I remember the first illness hubby got after I met him... Shingles. We married after 5 weeks, so didn't really know each other that well.. He really fell for me telling him if the spots around his stomach joined up I would be rich and he'd be a goner....
He was in agony bless him...I so feel for you!! He really did go through it...

Totally understand why 70+ persons have shingles jabs.. Lady we bought our bungalow from had on her face and ended up having skin grafts (85 years old!!)..

I think this is one opportunity to shout out about care and postcode lotteries for CGM's etc..we got to voice our opinions on care when we get the opportunity.

Thanx for letting us know.. I think its brilliant to be able to voice..

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The APPG is aware of the need for all recommendations to recognise the financial reality facing the NHS.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, it could so easily have slipped below the radar if you hadn't.

As you can see I've replied to something that seemed to stand out a mile. It's quite right that there should be concern about the financial reality facing the NHS because they wont be getting additional funding any time soon. My personal opinion would be that lowering carbs would go a long way to prevent the increasing number of people with type II and if that means changing dietary guidelines then so be it, that's my recommendation. I can only suggest that if you feel that might be part of, or the whole answer, I hope you get the opportunity to suggest the same.

Reactions: 3 people